The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Children on Board - how many? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3057850)

mbrocker 02-01-2013 02:36 PM

Children on Board - how many?
 
We will be sailing out of Galveston on 4/26. I figure it's after most SB weeks but before school lets out for the year.

I have a 5 & 3 YO.

I've never done a Disney cruise before -- how crazy will the Kids Clubs be at the point? Should I expect mass chaos?

lbgraves 02-01-2013 02:46 PM

In early December it has been announced at the kid show that there were 1200 kids ages 3-12 onboard. That didn't include the teens. Never really felt crowded to us, the ship is usually full. There are just a lot of kids. We always cruised during school dates until DS hit 7th grade.

neg58 02-01-2013 03:28 PM

When we cruised in Nov. not during a school holiday, there were a lot of younger kids (babies through about age 10), but not many of the older school aged kids. When we cruised at Christmas there were a LOT of kids.

I think you'll find a good number of 3 and 5 year olds. They only allow so many so that every child on board can go to the club for that age group.

Nancy

kcashner 02-01-2013 03:32 PM

DCL controls the number of kids on board within any age group. They have a maximum that they will book. That means that they are ready to handle the number that is on board.

We've been on cruises with under 400 kids and over 1500....and it all works.

tvguy 02-01-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrocker (Post 47377350)
We will be sailing out of Galveston on 4/26. I figure it's after most SB weeks but before school lets out for the year.

I have a 5 & 3 YO.

I've never done a Disney cruise before -- how crazy will the Kids Clubs be at the point? Should I expect mass chaos?

I think SB is less of an issue on Disney since it seems Disney cruisers are much more inclined to take their children out of school for a vacation.

Paigeanne 02-01-2013 06:58 PM

We just got off the Magic. 2600 guest, 1183 were kids. We stood in line for an hour to check them in the 1st morning at sea, but it got MUCH better after that 1st time.

Beckers419 02-01-2013 08:41 PM

We'll be on that cruise, DH, myself, and my 4 year old son.

mbrocker 02-01-2013 08:56 PM

Amazing.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paigeanne (Post 47379619)
We just got off the Magic. 2600 guest, 1183 were kids. We stood in line for an hour to check them in the 1st morning at sea, but it got MUCH better after that 1st time.

Wow. Just..wow. I'm just amazed at how Disney can run 40%+ children and yet every one of them that goes to the children's program seems to have a great time! I mean... how do they handle that kind of volume? Looking at the photos, the club&lab just don't seem THAT big.

mbrocker 02-01-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckers419 (Post 47380403)
We'll be on that cruise, DH, myself, and my 4 year old son.

Hi! Amazing how fast it's coming up isn't it? It seems forever away. BUT I know I'll blink and we'll be on our way!

itdoesntsmell 02-01-2013 09:04 PM

cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main-archive/decks.php?ship=Disney+Magic

Look at deck 5 and compared to the Atrium, the spaces are huge! lol!

mbrocker 02-01-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell (Post 47380567)
cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main-archive/decks.php?ship=Disney+Magic

Look at deck 5 and compared to the Atrium, the spaces are huge! lol!

Yes, they are big spaces. But we're talking the potential of 40% of passengers PLUS the support staff to care for said passengers on 1/2 of 1 deck at the same exact time. I can see the potential for serious crowding.

No one does crowds like Disney. But the logistics to me are just mind boggling.

itdoesntsmell 02-01-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrocker (Post 47381094)
Yes, they are big spaces. But we're talking the potential of 40% of passengers PLUS the support staff to care for said passengers on 1/2 of 1 deck at the same exact time. I can see the potential for serious crowding.

No one does crowds like Disney. But the logistics to me are just mind boggling.

OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!

PrincessShmoo 02-01-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell (Post 47381191)
OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!

I don't think mbrocker is being judgemental. I think he/she was marveling at the fact that DCL can do it.

lbgraves 02-01-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrocker (Post 47380515)
Wow. Just..wow. I'm just amazed at how Disney can run 40%+ children and yet every one of them that goes to the children's program seems to have a great time! I mean... how do they handle that kind of volume? Looking at the photos, the club&lab just don't seem THAT big.

Not all of the kids are between the ages of 3 - 12. There are alots of tweens & teens, along with toddlers who use different spaces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itdoesntsmell (Post 47381191)
OK.

It doesn't work and is crazy and not enough CM's to cope with the amount of kids in the club and lab.

It's why DCL has such a poor rating for youth entertainment.

Please read a little more on the boards about where and what the kids do before you form a judgement about how safe or inclusive the activities are!!!

I think you will be really surprised and happy about them!

After 74 days of experience with having kids in the clubs, from ages 3 & 5 in the beginning to 12 & 14 now, we have been extremely happy with what has been provided. When they were younger and I observed some activities, they were very organized and the kids loved them. The kids can't wait to go back to the Edge next month.

mbrocker 02-01-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 47381219)
I don't think mbrocker is being judgemental. I think he/she was marveling at the fact that DCL can do it.

THIS. :cool1:

No, I am amazed. As I said before, never heard a bad word about the kids clubs .. yet there are like, a gazillion children on board.

I've been to WDW and DL when there are wall to wall people just walking down main street.. yet, they seem to keep everything chugging along. I just think they have some really great minds working constantly on crowd control and attraction logistics.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Really really looking forward to our Magic cruise. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.