The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Chef Mickeys?! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3057441)

Wills Mom 01-31-2013 04:28 PM

Chef Mickeys?!

Thanks to some wonderful advice from this board we had a CP breakfast ressie for 9 adults and 2 infants (25 mos and 15 mos) but as neither of the boys know Winnie and friends but both boys LOVE Mickey and Donald (yes I might have something to do with that lol) I changed the ressie to Chef Mickeys purely based on the characters. Now I'm having second thoughts. We only plan on doing one character meal and I have some picky adult eaters (medical reasons not through general fussiness) so trying to find the right place is proving harder than I thought! CP is completely out if the running as it has to have either Mickey or Donald or both but due to the adults it also has to have decent food with a nice selection! Any tips or help is really appreciated guys!

lyra2007 01-31-2013 04:32 PM

Tusker House or 'Ohana. I am new and haven't been to either, but both seem to be (almost) universally liked. Tusker is a buffet, 'Ohana is family style. So more variety at Tusker but maybe more personalized service (and substitutions) at 'Ohana. Plus Tusker House is IN AK, so if you did early, you could be done by the time the park opened.

lemondog 01-31-2013 04:52 PM

Tusker House breakfast! Great food and large variety so even the picky eaters will be able to find something.

middlesista 01-31-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemondog (Post 47369791)
Tusker House breakfast! Great food and large variety so even the picky eaters will be able to find something.

I agree on Tusker House

scootch 01-31-2013 05:02 PM

We love Chef Mickey's... go every trip.... last trip(on dining plan) we went twice. I think the character interaction is great and a great variety on their buffets. It is my truly our favorite character meal and we have about all of them!

AuroraMeansDawn 01-31-2013 05:03 PM

You really will be fine at Chef Mickeys. It's breakfast so you'll have fruits and waffles and cereal and eggs and bacon and sausage and juice and coffee and yogurt and more. It's pretty hard to mess up breakfast.

It will be bright and colorful and the kids will be excited. The monorail will go by overhead. You have a big group and it's an easy place to get everyone going.

And I'd chose it over Tusker House because you have to drag everyone into AK to get there and it's pretty deep in the park and my kids were GRUMPY toddlers when not fed. Heck, my DH is STILL a GRUMPY Gus when not promtly fed. With a group that large I'd do pretty much anything to get them settled and fed. You'll also have the ability to hop to MK or Epcot easily via monorail.

It's versatile, it's a buffet with options, Mickey's there. Don't worry so much. It's breakfast! And it's Disney! You will be fine and have fun!

theduhaimes 01-31-2013 05:11 PM

We just ate at Chef Mickey for breakfast on our last trip in December. It was our first time for breakfast. The thing my husband and I agreed on is that they have something for everyone (even our picky kiddos were happy). There was a fantastic selection and the characters were great!

angieruns 01-31-2013 09:18 PM

Chef Mickey's is fantastic. The buffet is so big with so many options to pick from. And you get the fab 5 all in one room. I'd go here.

disneybliss2 01-31-2013 09:28 PM

You'll be fine at Chef Mickey's. There's plenty of variety to please everyone. It's nothing to write home about, but everyone will leave full and the characters are great there. It's a fun, festive atmosphere that the kids and adults will like. We don't enjoy the characters as much at Crystal Palace, so I understand what you mean there. The food is much better at Crystal Palace (better variety, fresher, better tasting), but overall I would still choose Chef Mickeys if that was my only character meal.

SA mom 02-01-2013 03:16 AM

I've read over and over again how accommodating the chefs at Disney are toward people with special dietary needs. When your make your ADRs, mention those needs to them. If you have someone with allergies, celiac, etc., the chef will sometimes come out and go over the menu with those folks. I've also heard that if you have someone with a gastric bypass, they can prepare smaller plates for a smaller price.

minnie mum 02-01-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA mom (Post 47373273)
I've read over and over again how accommodating the chefs at Disney are toward people with special dietary needs. When your make your ADRs, mention those needs to them. If you have someone with allergies, celiac, etc., the chef will sometimes come out and go over the menu with those folks. I've also heard that if you have someone with a gastric bypass, they can prepare smaller plates for a smaller price.

The information in the first part of this post is accurate. When you make your ADRs, list the dietary restrictions of the guests in question. And mention them again to your server when you are seated. A chef will come out and explain or show which foods on the buffet would be appropriate to the needs of those members of your party.

As for gastric bypass- this is a buffet. Everyone 3 and over is charged the going rate whether they eat a little or a lot. The only time at a buffet when special plates are prepared is when there is an allergy or another dietary restriction that prevents a person from selecting from the buffet dishes. There are (very) rare exceptions that are made to this policy, decided by the manager. Expect to pay the full price.

MrsDuck 02-01-2013 12:59 PM

Chef Mickey's is wonderful. I don't think you'll have a problem with the food and the characters are amazing.

goofyintoronto 02-01-2013 01:22 PM

The characters at Chef Mickeys are adorable! If you've never been, I would give it a try.

I have to say thou, i do like Tusker House better for the food. Characters are great as well.

Ohana is a gorgeous place. Its a nice quieter sit-down breakfast. But its not a buffet...not sure if you had your heart set on one.

I dont think you think you can go wrong with either place.

Wills Mom 02-01-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I think from the replies I'd be best sticking with CM. Thanks for reassuring me in my moment of doubt! My first priority is DS anyway so everyone else can just lump it if its not up to scratch ;) I know DS will love the characters so best sticking with the fab five :)