The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need help with OKW (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3057208)

jwgm2012 01-31-2013 09:14 AM

Need help with OKW
 
Hi everyone! We've secured a 2 bdrm villa at Old Key West for this coming June. I'm pretty excited as we're a family of 6 and I'm looking forward to the size of the room and nicely landscaped areas.

I need help on what building to request as I know this resort is very spread out.

Near the main pool and hospitality house; close to the recreational activities is what we're hoping for. Also, I know some of the 2 bedrooms have one entrance versus two... we'd like a villa with one door only. I've also read there are villas that offer two entrances into the master bathroom, where you can lock the door from one side and that gives access for those sleeping in the living room to go to that bathroom without having to go through the bedroom. That would seem to work better for us...

There just seems to be many different layouts and I don't know what to request much less which buildings would be better.

We stayed at CSR last year and that was a large resort too - don't know if they compare size wise?

Anyway, thanks for your help. I couldn't find a thread dedicated to OKW under the resort section but I know there are many fans of this resort so I'm hopeful you'll guide me in the right direction. :thumbsup2

gina

cvjw 01-31-2013 10:09 AM

Did you book thru Disney, or with DVC points? If thru points, you have to reserve a dedicated 2 bedroom to have only one door to the villa. Also, if you reserve on points, a villa near Hospitality House (pool and restaurant area) is a booking category, not a request.

If you booked directly thru Disney, I can't help you.

Wood Nymph 01-31-2013 10:18 AM

You'll find help on OKW resort over on the DVC forums. Here is a link to the

OKW lovers thread.

:)

jwgm2012 01-31-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvjw (Post 47365716)
Did you book thru Disney, or with DVC points? If thru points, you have to reserve a dedicated 2 bedroom to have only one door to the villa. Also, if you reserve on points, a villa near Hospitality House (pool and restaurant area) is a booking category, not a request.

If you booked directly thru Disney, I can't help you.

We booked through DVC points, using Dave's company. During the request process there wasn't anything that gave us the option to book HH category or dedicated 2 bdrm. We reserved a 2bdrm and that's all I know. :confused3

I've gone to the website and can pull up our reservation so it's there but again, all it says is 2bdrm villa and the dates of our stay. I'd like to call and have some location requests added to our reservation but I'm not sure of what to say?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Nymph (Post 47365819)
You'll find help on OKW resort over on the DVC forums. Here is a link to the

OKW lovers thread.

:)

Thanks for the link! I'm off to read :)



gina

Deesknee 01-31-2013 10:40 AM

I love OKW. It is what got us hooked on buying DVC. The link to the dvc thread should be very helpful. I just thought I'd point out one of my favorite parts of OKW... the laundry area. We usually get a 2bdrm. It has it's own laundry room with full size washer and dryer. There is even enough room to set up the ironing board in the laundry room! I love it! As a family of 6 I do laundry every night on vacation, I find it very convenient. I know other dvc's bdrm & up have washer/dryer, but to my knowledge, they are all stack washer/dryer basically in a closet. I love OKW for the washer/dryer room, (well in addition to many other things ;) ) We have been on a mission to try every dvc resort. When we go down this August we will be in AKV. I am excited to try something new, but I may need to squeeze a relaxation trip in, just to stay back at OKW!

jwgm2012 01-31-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deesknee (Post 47366038)
I love OKW. It is what got us hooked on buying DVC. The link to the dvc thread should be very helpful. I just thought I'd point out one of my favorite parts of OKW... the laundry area. We usually get a 2bdrm. It has it's own laundry room with full size washer and dryer. There is even enough room to set up the ironing board in the laundry room! I love it! As a family of 6 I do laundry every night on vacation, I find it very convenient. I know other dvc's bdrm & up have washer/dryer, but to my knowledge, they are all stack washer/dryer basically in a closet. I love OKW for the washer/dryer room, (well in addition to many other things ;) ) We have been on a mission to try every dvc resort. When we go down this August we will be in AKV. I am excited to try something new, but I may need to squeeze a relaxation trip in, just to stay back at OKW!

I think you're right in that other washer/dryer rooms come with stackables and OKW comes with the full sized. I won't lie - that did get me happy too! I know it's odd but I'm excited about the idea of doing laundry at night while everyone gets settled for bed... for those few hours it'll feel like we live at Disney :lovestruc Not to mention being able to pack lighter and do laundry before we come home is something I'm looking forward to so we can unpack right into our drawers and not have the mountain of clothes in the laundry room. :thumbsup2

Cyrano 01-31-2013 11:58 AM

We were in building 62 which was perfectly placed for Hospitality House.
CM said we were lucky as the building had elevators. Mind you we did not bother with them and just used the stairs.

It was lovely watching Illuminations every night from our balcony :)

cvjw 01-31-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwgm2012 (Post 47365996)
We booked through DVC points, using Dave's company. During the request process there wasn't anything that gave us the option to book HH category or dedicated 2 bdrm. We reserved a 2bdrm and that's all I know. :confused3

I've gone to the website and can pull up our reservation so it's there but again, all it says is 2bdrm villa and the dates of our stay. I'd like to call and have some location requests added to our reservation but I'm not sure of what to say

You need to get in touch with David's so that he can get in touch with the person who's points you rented to find out if you have a dedicated or 2 bedroom lockoff reserved. If you are interested in being close to the hospitality house area, the member can change the reservation if that category is still available for booking.

Our favorite building is 46 - right next to the canal to downtown disney.

sgtdisney 01-31-2013 02:45 PM

The only buildings close to the Hospitality House, that have two entries to the Master Batch, are 62, 63, and 64. Those are not in the special "Hospitality House" booking category. However as those are the only three buildings at OKW with Elevators, they are often times saved for guests with special mobility requirements, but you can always request them.

As another person suggested check your reservation. You will either have a 2 bedroom "lock-off" which is a 1 bedroom and a studio connected, and those will have two front outside entrances. Or you would have a dedicated 2 bedroom which is a true two bedroom unit with only one main entrance. This is not a request but a booking category. I am guessing you have a dedicated as those are easier to reserve.

Same with hospitality house, another booking category, you will either have it or you won't, and it would be on your reservation. It's popular, so a little harder to reserve a HH room at OKW.

If having the 2nd entrance (through the laundry room) to the master bathroom is very important you may want to request building numbered 30 or higher. Starting with building 30, that is when Disney added the additional entrance to the bathroom. They did not go back and retrofit any buildings numbered 29 and lower.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.