The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   at the Poly now............ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3057166)

huhwhat 01-31-2013 07:37 AM

at the Poly now............
 
two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........

Debrn 01-31-2013 07:41 AM

More than likely a virus making you all sick:(
Hope you feel better quickly.






Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat (Post 47364329)
two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........


Mommy2TwoMickeys 01-31-2013 07:42 AM

Oh WOW! So sorry to hear this happening to you & the family. I have to be honest, it makes me feel a bit uneasy for the fact that my family and I will be arriving at the Poly on 3/2 and we have a 3 1/2 yr old and 8 month old......:confused3

davedmaine 01-31-2013 07:51 AM

The room does sound gross, but it's extremely unlikely it's making you sick.

infopurposesonly 01-31-2013 08:04 AM

Lots of viruses going aorund, but mold allergies can be serious. I hope they can find you a better room. We stayed at the Poly once and won't stay again.

minnie mum 01-31-2013 09:08 AM

A 2 hour exposure to mold would be unlikely to cause illness, unless you were allergic to the spores or severely immunocompromised. It is much more likely, given recent articles about outbreaks of the flu, norovirus, and a couple of other illnesses, that your family has succumbed to one of these.

Of course no one wants to see mold growing in their resort rooms. But when you are in an area where heat and humidity are a fact of life you have to realize that mold and mildew are also a fact of life and something that has to be battled constantly. And while unsightly, not all molds are pathogenic. I'm sure management was grateful that you reported the problem so that they could deal with it.

pl4bby 01-31-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat
two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........

This happened at SSR also I got a huge resort credit but we all get sick.

huhwhat 01-31-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedmaine (Post 47364451)
The room does sound gross, but it's extremely unlikely it's making you sick.

I am extremely allergic to mold........ ps rooms 3940 tukolou and room 3311 fiji

Polydweller 01-31-2013 10:31 AM

And the room refreshes will be getting rid of that oo.

bumbershoot 01-31-2013 05:20 PM

Oh you poor thing. I know very well what that's like!

We rented a condo from my BIL for a year or so, and only once have I ever felt worse for a long period of time. When we went to move out, we pulled the bed and dressers away from the wall, and black mold was everywhere. When we took things out of the walk-in closet, the back of the closet's floor was damp. UGH.

And the only other time I'd ever been that sick was in an apartment similar to the condo (both half under the ground floor), when upon move-out I realized that my whole windowsill, which I hadn't seen b/c I kept the blinds firmly closed since they looked right out on the parking lot, was covered in black mold.

In the condo I blamed it on a brand new indoor cat and early pregnancy, but I wasn't pregnant the whole time, and I got a lot better *as soon as* we left (and took the backs of the dressers off and replaced the bedframe).

For people who are sensitive, 2 hours exposure can indeed cause tremendous problems.

My mom was in a hotel for ONE hour once, started going into a major asthma attack, and it was because of mold inside the a/c unit.

It sucks to be the canary in a coal mine, but the reality is, NO ONE should be around that stuff, even if you're not as sensitive to it as others are.

jalaine 01-31-2013 05:36 PM

Ugh, so sorry you had to go through that! I'm another one allergic to mold and even a short exposure to serious mold would cause my lungs to feel like I'm underwater. I hope the room refreshes will take care of this...might feel better requesting a newly redone room for our late April trip...

GusGus77 01-31-2013 05:48 PM

That is awful! I have a severe mold allergy and would have gotten ill very quickly as well. I am not one to think people are entitled to things all the time, but it does sound like $150 resort credit was a little lax given you were staying in a $500 room and it sounds like it was a substantial amount of mold, not just a very small section that I understand can occur in the humid Florida weather. I guess I am thankful we can't afford to stay at the Poly!

pl4bby 01-31-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus77
That is awful! I have a severe mold allergy and would have gotten ill very quickly as well. I am not one to think people are entitled to things all the time, but it does sound like $150 resort credit was a little lax given you were staying in a $500 room and it sounds like it was a substantial amount of mold, not just a very small section that I understand can occur in the humid Florida weather. I guess I am thankful we can't afford to stay at the Poly!

Yes I got much more than that that. I was at a different resort. SSR. You may be able to afford value and still have mold.

a1tinkfans 01-31-2013 06:17 PM

regardless of it being florida and humidity is there, no vacationer should be exposed to BLACK mold...and Im not talking about a spot the size of a dime here...but if the OP sees a WALL of mold?? as she described....I would not be taking 150 off my bill but requesting to be comped the nights stay.
Never mind the packing up to move and then unpacking and getting settled in again (one reason we're not to much into split stays :rotfl2:) but I digress
Black MOLD is some serious stuff...remediation is necessary, so lets hope that they have taken care of it and no one else is utilizing it.
Putting that aside, unless the OP knows for sure it actually was the MOLD which she is allergic too that actually made her sick, its likely that her whole family caught something..
I hope you are all feeling MUCH better...and that you had an enjoyable time despite the room situation.

jandkmom 01-31-2013 08:27 PM

I'm here at the Poly now in Tokelau and haven't noticed any mold. My DH is quite sensitive to it, even the smell, and he hasn't noticed anything either. This is our third time at the Poly and we have never seen or smelled mold in our rooms. I don't think anyone can be "sure" that every room is affected. Still, I'm surprised that you found it in 2 separate LH rooms. What a shame. However, I'm with the others in doubting that the mold has made your whole family sick. It's winter, a particularly bad flu and norovirus season, and we are exposed to a ton of different germs from all over the world here (not to mention during travel). Feel better soon!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.