The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The DIS Unplugged Podcast (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Do You Have Privacy Concerns about the New MagicBands? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3057135)

*NikkiBell* 01-31-2013 05:50 AM

On this week's show, Pete and members of the team discuss privacy concerns related to the new MagicBand system. What are your thoughts on the topic? How will you use the bands? Do you feel that the cons outweigh the pros?

Mike2023 01-31-2013 09:32 AM

Personally, For my family, I can't think of any cons.

Most of the stuff that can be done with Magicband can be done with your park tickets if disney was to choice to do it. The band at its base is just a new medium to store your ticket/room key information.

There is so much potential, I can't wait to see what they do with it.

LilyWDW 01-31-2013 09:39 AM

I have no issues with it.

It is optional.

Also, it is Disney property.

WaltD4Me 01-31-2013 09:41 AM

For me, it's a little too soon to tell. I do worry about things like the glitch with the CM not pushing the "clear folio" key. Like Pete said, every new thing has glitches no one thought of.

lugnut33 01-31-2013 09:59 AM

None.

The thing I worry about is them getting smelly during the heat of summer. Yuck.

Paula Sedley-Burke 01-31-2013 10:04 AM

For me being disabled having a wrist band to open my room, enter the park and pay etc without having to keep getting out a ticket, credit card , room key etc is a real bonus. I would be kidding myself as we stay on disney property anyway and charge most items to our room card that they dont already track what we are doing! So I see it as a bonus. It is optional as OP said. I will be trying FP+ for parade for sure!

Mike2023 01-31-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugnut33 (Post 47365617)
None.

The thing I worry about is them getting smelly during the heat of summer. Yuck.

This is a good point. Im hoping they build one into a watch of some sort. There going to have premium options for sure. If one is a watch I'm happy.

StitchesGr8Fan 01-31-2013 10:50 AM

My only concern is whether they will sell the info. If it all stays within the Disney family of companies I am fine.

kbsmall84 01-31-2013 11:12 AM

What info would they sell?

sayhello 01-31-2013 11:56 AM

They probably don't have any more info on those bracelets then you currently have on your grocery store rewards card. Certainly not that much more than is already on your KTTW card...

Sayhello

WebmasterJohn 01-31-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke (Post 47365673)
For me being disabled having a wrist band to open my room, enter the park and pay etc without having to keep getting out a ticket, credit card , room key etc is a real bonus.

Thanks for bringing this perspective to the discussion. It wasn't something I considered and I think it's an awesome benefit for many folks in a similar situation as yours.

SA mom 01-31-2013 05:40 PM

Disney already knows all about my trips. They know which park I'm in, they know which fastpasses I use, they know where I'm eating, and what I'm buying.

The only thing that bothers me is what was mentioned on the podcast about a certain key needing to be pushed to end your RFID transaction. I could see that being an issue. That and only getting 3 fastpasses!?!?

*NikkiBell* 01-31-2013 06:58 PM

I have 100% no concerns about the MagicBand system. I will use it fully and don't worry about being "tracked." Disney already does that through my credit card purchases and AP use. Besides, this going to make the experience all that more amazing!!!

However, I will make sure that I either use gift cards like I normally do or ask the CMs to push the "Clear Folio" button whenever I make a purchase. I don't want any issues with that.

I did confirm that this was happening with a few CMs last week. Apparently they are working on fixing the issue, but unless the code is re-written so that they don't have to tap a separate button, this will be a potential problem. I'm hoping to get a band in two weeks so I can see how this plays out.

For those interested, here's the thread Pete discussed on this week's show:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042694

cslittle999 01-31-2013 07:39 PM

I do have some concerns about where Disney could go with the MagicBands. Imagine RFID sensors at the entrance to every ride and store. It's possible for a reader to pickup chips in about a 3 foot radius. This would give Disney the potential to actually track your path through the park. This does sound fairly paranoid but it is all quite possible.

k5jmh 01-31-2013 08:53 PM

Raspberry Pi + RFID Reader + Cellular Data Card = Nefarious people Tracking guests' Magic Bands as they enter and leave a resort. Nothing like telling the crooks that you are leaving.

I am not worried about Disney using the information as much as I am about the ability of someone putting a transponder on my wrist that any yahoo with $50 in parts can read and track my movements and patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FgQjsUUiNrE

The MagicBands transmit in the clear and not encrypted because the bands are only transmitting a unique ID number, like a serial number. The distance a band can be read is determined by the Antenna on the reader and the antenna on the band. The band has gain of +/-0db, so the power of the reader antenna is what determines the distance that the band can be read. a 12db antenna will have a theoretical distance of around 10 meters. A 20db antenna (Yagi or Corner reflector) will be able to read your MagicBand at 20 meters.

Disney is only considering the direct impacts of RFID and not the indirect impacts.