The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3056537)

Maple17 01-29-2013 10:39 PM

What would you do?
 
We will be at US/IOA on Feb 17 and 18. We are currently booked to stay offsite. To stay on site for the night of the 17th would cost us $304 at the cheapest hotel. I know that the benefits of staying on site are enormous but I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on 1 Night. We are there during Presidents weekend so I know it will be busy. What would you do? We will be staying at the offsite hotel before and after our Universal days so we would also have to pack up all our stuff for 1 night.

If we did stay on site on Feb 17 how would we get early admission on that day without being checked in yet? I have read on here that the early admission and express pass are good for the day you check-in and check-out. Could we check in before 8am??

Thanks in advance for any insight/answers!

buckeev 01-30-2013 12:50 AM

My two-cents...On the surface...it may seem like a big waste of money, but, it is kinda like "buying time".
The Express Pass, especially on a busy day, will increase you ability to enjoy many more rides. Or, enjoy your favorites multiple times in a much more tolerable time frame. As for the check-in...you can check in as early as you want. Your room may, or may not be ready, in which case they will still get you your Express Passes, and will even store your luggage in a secure room until the room is ready. You can compare the On Site Express perks and prices to the "Add on purchase" Pass, and decide if you want to go that route, but they are quite pricey, and usually end up costing much more than the room rate.
Also, like you mentioned.if you have park tickets for the day you check in and the day you check out, you will be able to use the Express Pass on both of those days.
Tip...if you do arrive at the hotel early, make sure to have you Park bags/tote bags, etc. easily accessible to avoid having to dig them all out while standing in the hotel lobby. (voice of experience here...::yes::...)

bumbershoot 01-30-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

If we did stay on site on Feb 17 how would we get early admission on that day without being checked in yet? I have read on here that the early admission and express pass are good for the day you check-in and check-out. Could we check in before 8am??
Yep. You do the checkin process and get the keycards, stash your bags with bell services, you go get your express pass picture taken and head on to the parks!

The info is even on the page for each of the onsite hotels, if you go to the loews website. I was going to check the rates for you (here), and quote the page about the benefits for you, but the Loews site is down right now.

ProudMommyof2 01-30-2013 07:58 AM

We are considering doing this but only using the room as a day room to maybe enjoy the pool and take a midday break. We are currently booked in a 2 bed 2 bath condo and squeezing into a hotel room is not appealing but we may look into booking the room for the perks!

momto3gr8boys 01-30-2013 08:04 AM

I agree with the PPs. We stayed at the HR for two nights at the beginning of our Disney stay once and it was a great decision. I actually think its more worthwhile to stay on property at UA than disney (and this is from a stay on property only disney nut!).

damo 01-30-2013 09:05 AM

OP, have you called and asked for a AAA rate? It would help a bit.

I, too, would bite the bullet and stay onsite.

I would check in at around 7am and give them your bags and head for the WWoHP. They will take your cell phone number and call you when your room is ready (if it is ready early). I really don't think you will regret it.

LJF 01-30-2013 10:21 AM

Is there any chance someone in your party would be returning within the year? There is an AP rate available.

Maple17 01-30-2013 11:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your insight. I am leaning towards booking an onsite room for 1 night even though spending that kind of money on a hotel stings! I think it will be worth it.

We will have a rental vehicle - how much do they charge to park at the resort?

Maple17 01-30-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damo (Post 47354493)
OP, have you called and asked for a AAA rate? It would help a bit.

I, too, would bite the bullet and stay onsite.

I would check in at around 7am and give them your bags and head for the WWoHP. They will take your cell phone number and call you when your room is ready (if it is ready early). I really don't think you will regret it.

We don't have CAA (we are from Canada). I think I will bite the bullet and go for it. Thanks for your advice!

Maple17 01-30-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJF (Post 47355238)
Is there any chance someone in your party would be returning within the year? There is an AP rate available.

No, we won't be visiting again within the year, unfortunately. Too far for us to go.

Maple17 01-30-2013 12:47 PM

What are the rides that you CANNOT use the express pass for?

TheAviator 01-30-2013 12:51 PM

Yes you can check in early, but your room may not be available early, but one time I checked in as early as 9:30 I believe it was and they let me have a room. Are you positive its going to be crowded on those days? If not, you may chance the crowds not being too bad.

Metro West 01-30-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple17 (Post 47356793)
What are the rides that you CANNOT use the express pass for?

At the Studios, the Rockit coaster and at IoA, Forbidden Journey and Pteranodon Flyers.

damo 01-30-2013 01:37 PM

Parking is $18/night.

Maple17 01-30-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAviator (Post 47356848)
Yes you can check in early, but your room may not be available early, but one time I checked in as early as 9:30 I believe it was and they let me have a room. Are you positive its going to be crowded on those days? If not, you may chance the crowds not being too bad.

We were at Disneyworld last year over Presidents weekend and it was crazy. Maybe Universal won't be as bad.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.