The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The DIS Unplugged Podcast (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Offended Bob Iger Responds to Congressman Markey on MyMagic (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3055988)

WaltD4Me 01-28-2013 11:14 PM

Offended Bob Iger Responds to Congressman Markey on MyMagic

Bob Iger sends letter in response to Congressman Markey's concerns about NextGen/My Magic. He sounds none to pleased.

Response Letter:

January 28, 2013

The Honorable Edward Markey

2108 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Markey:

For 90 years, Disney has been synonymous with high-quality entertainment for families and children of all ages. We use creativity, innovation and technology to create memorable moments and experiences for our hundreds of millions of customers and guests. And, as you well know, Disney’s record and commitment to children’s safety and security and the protection of their privacy is exemplary. People around the world trust Disney and its products. That trust is the cornerstone of our company, and we take it very seriously.

We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk.

It is truly unfortunate and extremely disappointing that you chose to publicly attack us before taking the time to review our policies and/or contact us for information, which would have obviated the need for your letter. Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online at http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html and https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...rivacy-policy/.

In the enclosed attachment, we address the questions in your letter about our new, yet-to-be launched program, MyMagic+. However, to ensure that you fully understand our practices as they pertain to children, and our commitment to our guests’ privacy, let me be clear and reiterate the basic facts.

MyMagic+ is a completely optional program that was designed with privacy controls from the outset. Disney does not use personal information to market to children under age 13, does not personalize or target advertisements to an individual child, and never shares children’s personal information with any third party for their marketing purposes. Additionally, parents have full control over their child’s participation in MyMagic+. We have transparent privacy practices, guests can control and limit the amount of information they provide to us — and how their information is used.

Further details are attached

Sincerely,
Robert A Iger

sayhello 01-28-2013 11:18 PM

Good for Iger!

Sayhello

*NikkiBell* 01-29-2013 01:08 AM

Good for him. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Gantu 01-29-2013 01:30 AM

The Honorable Edward Markey just got SERVED! Disney style :rotfl:

FLbronco 01-29-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks for sharing letter.

Great reply Mr. Iger! Well said.

Sarabi's Cubs 01-29-2013 09:14 AM

Ah - the power of the written word:worship: Love it!

Laurie

wiigirl 01-29-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gantu (Post 47342083)
The Honorable Edward Markey just got SERVED! Disney style :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

WebmasterPete 01-29-2013 09:55 AM

I'm not questioning the OP's integrity in any way by saying this - but there is no way the CEO of a Fortune 20 company sent a letter like that to a ranking member of Congress and a man who is likely to succeed John Kerry in the Senate. That's the letter I WOULD HAVE SENT - not Bob Iger.

If it is authentic, and that's actually what Iger sent - then he's weeks away from retiring and has just stopped caring.

With that said, I completely agree with the sentiments in the letter :)

Pete

UPDATED: Oh lord, it was accurate!! It was the real letter. OMG. Get out your popcorn.

WaltD4Me 01-29-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebmasterPete (Post 47344261)
I'm not questioning the OP's integrity in any way by saying this - but there is no way the CEO of a Fortune 20 company sent a letter like that to a ranking member of Congress and a man who is likely to succeed John Kerry in the Senate. That's the letter I WOULD HAVE SENT - not Bob Iger.

If it is authentic, and that's actually what Iger sent - then he's weeks away from retiring and has just stopped caring.

With that said, I completely agree with the sentiments in the letter :)

Pete

UPDATED: Oh lord, it was accurate!! It was the real letter. OMG. Get out your popcorn.

Not feeling questioned, but I was just coming to give a link to Politico where I first read about the letter. I see Pete found confirmation though. It is pretty stunning coming from Iger, I was really surprised when I read it too. I think he wanted to strongly and definitively nip the privacy concerns, before it got out of control.

mnra 01-29-2013 10:30 AM

maybe it is time for people to tell the senators and congressmen that they do not know everything. By the tone of the letter It doesn;t sound like the PR department reviewed it lol

skier_pete 01-29-2013 10:35 AM

My guess is even the hint that Disney is not concerned with child safety pretty much trumps everything for Disney. Iger did not write that letter, but the fact that the response was swift and harsh tells me that Disney's legal department is more concerned about looking weak from a safety/security standpoint than they are about offending a high-level politician.

FortForever 01-29-2013 10:38 AM

I love the letter!

Translation:

Get a grip! And do some research before you open your mouth next time.

stimmons 01-29-2013 11:04 AM

Way to go Mr. Iger! :thumbsup2

MrRomance 01-29-2013 11:06 AM

Poke that where the sun don't shine! :rotfl2:

Well done, Bob Iger :lmao:

*NikkiBell* 01-29-2013 11:12 AM

I was thinking that the letter sounded very Pete-ish myself. LOL

-sitting back awaiting the result of this and it being discussed on the show-