The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Flights out of Vancouver (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054963)

lsutigger2 01-27-2013 11:59 AM

Flights out of Vancouver

what is the earliest time you would reserve a flight out of Vancouver? the disney information suggest four hours. "Please allow four hours of travel time, customs and security checks before and after your cruise."

Asking because we are trying hard to use frequent flyers miles. some of the flights leave Vancouver before the ship even docks, some are really late (and then we would arrive home the next day!). there is a flight that leaves at
11:30am. Anyone with experience, please share your thoughts.

When we did the Alaskan cruise in June 2011, my journal notes say that "on bus to last check point before the gate was 1 to 1 1/2 hours" but I don't remember what time we got off the ship and on to the bus = haha. I do remember waiting for them to call 'purple Minnie' in one of the lounge areas and it seemed to take awhile.

We are considering staying in Vancouver for the night and flying home the next day as an option.

Oh, what to do, what to do - :confused3:confused3

thanks for any information anyone may have to share.

PrincessShmoo 01-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigger2 (Post 47322681)
what is the earliest time you would reserve a flight out of Vancouver? the disney information suggest four hours. "Please allow four hours of travel time, customs and security checks before and after your cruise."

Asking because we are trying hard to use frequent flyers miles. some of the flights leave Vancouver before the ship even docks, some are really late (and then we would arrive home the next day!). there is a flight that leaves at

When we did the Alaskan cruise in June 2011, my journal notes say that "on bus to last check point before the gate was 1 to 1 1/2 hours" but I don't remember what time we got off the ship and on to the bus = haha. I do remember waiting for them to call 'purple Minnie' in one of the lounge areas and it seemed to take awhile.

We are considering staying in Vancouver for the night and flying home the next day as an option.

We've flown out of Vancouver twice following Alaskan cruises (not DCL). I wouldn't book anything before 1:00.

I vote for an overnight in Vancouver. We flew in a day early on our last cruise, and spent a really nice day just looking around Vancouver.

lsutigger2 01-27-2013 05:02 PM

Thanks Princess for the info.

i'm giving this a bump to see if any others have other experiences to share.

mmmears 01-27-2013 05:26 PM

I remember that we booked our flight before DCL came out with their recommendations (I think for 1 hour earlier than what they suggested). In the end, we ate at the buffet, got off the ship early (you could ask for an earlier time to disembark) and took a taxi to the airport. We were a couple of hours early (distinctly remember that it was NOT a problem at all and was wishing for less time waiting around there).

Sorry it's not more specific (we went in 2011) but it honestly wasn't a problem at all. If I had had the info ahead of time, I would have booked a later flight, but it all worked out well anyway.

bumbershoot 01-27-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

That's the option I would take! There are lots of hotels there, and it's a GORGEOUS city. Spend some time walking around, have a crepe at Cafe Crepe (there are several locations), enjoy your time without rushing.

lsutigger2 01-27-2013 07:54 PM

DH and I decided that we will just stay the night on Monday! What a sacrifice! Even paying for a hotel for a night will be cheaper that paying full fare for two!

We didn't get to see much of Vancouver when we were there in 2011. We are planning on arriving on Saturday. that gives us a day in Vancouver on each end.

thanks again for the help :thumbsup2

Princess Dolly 01-28-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigger2 (Post 47322681)

We arrived two days before our cruise and left Vancouver two days after our cruise. As much as we loved Alaska I think we talk about Vancouver more. We loved it there. Take some time to check out a great city. Heading east you are going to find most flights aren't going to work without an overnight stay.

ETA: oops I should have read the whole thread before posting. LOL Good choice!