The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   POR Standard Royal Room vs Standard Room (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054426)

heidiot99 01-26-2013 04:11 PM

POR Standard Royal Room vs Standard Room

Is it worth the upgrade? Why?

2009 POFQ
2010 AKL
2013 POR

minnie mum 01-26-2013 04:20 PM

Welcome to the Disboards.

Whether or not the upgrade is worth it or not is completely a matter of personal taste.

You can find some very good descriptions of the rooms and locations, and photos on the resort specific threads.

heidiot99 01-26-2013 04:40 PM

I have read the descriptions but would like more feedback on what experienced POR people have seen 1st hand.

snykymom 01-26-2013 04:59 PM

1) I liked the decor.
2) The location - they're in the two buildings closest to the main building & food court. It's kind of like having a preferred room, but on the Manor side.

minnie mum 01-26-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidiot99 (Post 47316542)
I have read the descriptions but would like more feedback on what experienced POR people have seen 1st hand.

Well, alrighty then. I don't like the decor. I think it's gimmicky unless you are blessed with a princess obsessed little girl. If I'm going to pay an upcharge, I would rather stay in one of the preferred buildings. #14, 15 and 18 are more convenient to the main building. Certainly much closer than if you are on the parkinglot side of Parterre Place.

dansdad 01-26-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidiot99

I would start with reading the official POR thread. Tons of first hand reports/experiences there!

TaraPA 01-26-2013 09:14 PM

I stayed at POR in a standard room in October, the other half of our group stayed in a RR, so I was back & forth between the rooms several times. While I didn't dislike the RR decor, I preferred the standard room decor more. Much more light & bright.

We requested our room to be in Magnolia Terrace so that we were in the building next to our friends in the RR, and one wasn't much closer to the bus or main area than the other. So for me, there's no reason to pay more for a RR.

Brownsfan317 01-26-2013 09:25 PM

We stayed in a Royal Room earlier this month. I cannot compare to a standard room, but we were happy with our choice. Enjoyed the location of our building, very quiet and beautiful scenery.

I went with DS12. He actually picked the room because he thought they looked like rooms we could not afford! LOL:)

In my opinion, if I did not stay in these rooms, it would not be the end of the world, but since the resort is a larger resort, I would at least select a preferred room.

View of one of the Royal Rooms building from the bridge to main building:
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdc4205e2.jpg

Our room -- enjoyed the fireworks on the headboard!:
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps5f90facf.jpg

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps0050bd5f.jpg

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...psa1f6f11f.jpg

Tarheel girl 1975 01-26-2013 09:49 PM

We stayed in a royal room on the last night of our trip last year. For the first 9 nights of our trip we booked a garden view room. We ended up in an Alligator Bayou room in building 26. We thought the royal room was pretty, but DH and i both preferred our room in AB. Our Royal room was a standard view room and it was in Parterre Place near the back of the building so it seemed very far away. The furniture in the royal rooms seemed larger than the furniture in the other rooms which in turn made the room feel smaller. If I was going to pay for an upgraded room category, I would rather spend that money on a preferred room.

heidiot99 01-26-2013 09:56 PM

Thank you everyone...this was very helpful! TaraPA...I live near Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area...we are not far from you:)

dminnie 01-27-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

2) The location - they're in the two buildings closest to the main building & food court. It's kind of like having a preferred room, but on the Manor side.
You might want to find a map of POR. I don't think the royal rooms are in the buildings closest to the food court. Those would be preferred rooms in AB, not royal rooms.

nkereina 01-27-2013 10:57 AM

When we stay at POR, we just book a standard room. We have no kids so no interest in Royal Rooms. Royal Rooms are the furthest from the main building/food court/main pool - similar to the pirate rooms at CBR. They do this strategically because it spreads people across the resort. If someone wants a themed room, they will go for the theme room over the location most times. The Royal Rooms are in the mansion buildings Oak Manor and Parterre Place only. It's a decent walk to the main pool, but there is a quiet pool in between. And you do have to walk across the bridge and up the path to the food court. Not an ideal location, IMO. Far from being like a preferred room.

When we had standard rooms, we stayed first time in Magnolia Terrace and second time in Acadian House. Both were great.

shenaniganzz 01-27-2013 11:46 AM

We stayed in a Royal Room on our last trip and, fwiw -

- Our 4 y.o enjoyed the headboard for all of about half an hour the first day and then barely touched it again for the duration of our trip.

- She loved the note Tiana left and still talks about it to this day.

- The decor was nice - I didn't think it was any better or worse than CSR. The rest of the rooms at POR didn't really appeal to us.

- As a PP stated, Oak Manor isn't close to the main building, feature pool at all. It's a bit of a trek and made it a pain when the kids wanted a snack or to get a drink, etc. - especially after a long day in the parks.

We wouldn't stay at POR again for many other reasons, but if the Royal Rooms were at another resort, I am not sure I would pay the premium a second time to stay in them.

snykymom 01-27-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dminnie (Post 47319967)
You might want to find a map of POR. I don't think the royal rooms are in the buildings closest to the food court. Those would be preferred rooms in AB, not royal rooms.

Sorry if I was unclear - I meant the closest Manors to the food court.

My problem is, contrary to the other posters on this thread, that I don't like AB at all, so I would never book a preferred room. The only way to guarantee a Manor room, and a closer one at that, is to book a Royal room.

I wish one of the Manors were preferred.

KELLY 01-28-2013 09:34 AM

I'm so glad you asked this question.After looking at the royal rooms and the standard rooms. I think standard room look just as nice. Plus we are going for 14 nights so the upgrade is another 500.00.