The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Asking for an upgrade... rude? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054139)

MyPrinceWillCome 01-26-2013 06:55 AM

Asking for an upgrade... rude?
 
Hi All,
Been lurking the boards for awhile and this is my first post! Been going to Disney yearly since 1988! :wave2:

This year my brother and I are splurging to take my mother on a trip for her birthday, in early May. Her "bucket list" hotel is the Grand Floridian, so that's where we'll be staying. I want this to be the trip of a lifetime for her - she has had a rough year... breast cancer, lumpectomy, chemotherapy, etc. and she needs something fun to look forward to.

Once, when she and I had stayed at the Boardwalk several years ago, she casually asked if an upgrade was available. We ended up getting a great room on the concierge level, overlooking the Boardwalk (right over Spoodles! Or where Spoodles used to be!)

I'd love to get some kind of upgrade at the GF, if possible. Since the rooms are so pricey, we're doing the basic garden view. I'd like to ask at check in if an upgrade it possible. I don't want to play the cancer card, but if I mentioned it was her birthday, do you think that would help my chances? I don't want to come across as feeling entitled or being rude. It would just be AMAZING if it would be possible on this trip.

Any tips for increasing my chances of an upgrade? Or is this something I shouldn't even attempt?

Thanks! :)

Mousemommy1 01-26-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome (Post 47311207)
Hi All,
Been lurking the boards for awhile and this is my first post! Been going to Disney yearly since 1988! :wave2:

This year my brother and I are splurging to take my mother on a trip for her birthday, in early May. Her "bucket list" hotel is the Grand Floridian, so that's where we'll be staying. I want this to be the trip of a lifetime for her - she has had a rough year... breast cancer, lumpectomy, chemotherapy, etc. and she needs something fun to look forward to.

Once, when she and I had stayed at the Boardwalk several years ago, she casually asked if an upgrade was available. We ended up getting a great room on the concierge level, overlooking the Boardwalk (right over Spoodles! Or where Spoodles used to be!)

I'd love to get some kind of upgrade at the GF, if possible. Since the rooms are so pricey, we're doing the basic garden view. I'd like to ask at check in if an upgrade it possible. I don't want to play the cancer card, but if I mentioned it was her birthday, do you think that would help my chances? I don't want to come across as feeling entitled or being rude. It would just be AMAZING if it would be possible on this trip.

Any tips for increasing my chances of an upgrade? Or is this something I shouldn't even attempt?

Thanks! :)

First, I want to say how wonderful you and your brother are for doing this for your mom! She's a lucky lady and it sounds like she's been through a lot. Hope she powers through it all and gets back to 100%. pixiedust:

In regards to upgrades, you can ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no, or expect you to pay for the upgrade.

In reality, Disney mostly only upgrades because they HAVE to...like with a room inventory issue, over bookings, etc....

So, if you won't be embarrassed (I would be mortified, so I couldn't do it, I just book the room I want) if they say no or ask you to pay the difference, you can go for it but be prepared that it probably won't happen. Good luck! :flower3:

ThreeBeans 01-26-2013 07:20 AM

Not rude at all! You can certainly always ask, and they won't be offended. Usually the answer is no, but I've gotten upgrades before. (not in Disney, but in other very nice hotels.)

lililoo12 01-26-2013 07:28 AM

I have had many celebrations on my reservation and only once got pixie dust. I never ask for an upgrade unless I plan on paying for it. Cm's have said the best way not to get an upgrade is to ask for one. Disney usually only upgrades rooms when it benefits them. Pay for the room you want so you are not disappointed.

MyPrinceWillCome 01-26-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lililoo12 (Post 47311389)
I have had many celebrations on my reservation and only once got pixie dust. I never ask for an upgrade unless I plan on paying for it. Cm's have said the best way not to get an upgrade is to ask for one. Disney usually only upgrades rooms when it benefits them. Pay for the room you want so you are not disappointed.

I won't be disappointed if we're not upgraded, I just think it would be wonderful if we could be. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to book the room I'd like, I'm splurging as it is on a basic room. So an upgrade would be great, but it is definitely not expected. Just was wondering if there was any way to maximize my chances. :)

The only time I've ever actually got "pixie dust" at a resort was when we asked for it that time at Boardwalk! But maybe that was a rare thing.

MyPrinceWillCome 01-26-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 (Post 47311270)
First, I want to say how wonderful you and your brother are for doing this for your mom! She's a lucky lady and it sounds like she's been through a lot. Hope she powers through it all and gets back to 100%. pixiedust:

In regards to upgrades, you can ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no, or expect you to pay for the upgrade.

In reality, Disney mostly only upgrades because they HAVE to...like with a room inventory issue, over bookings, etc....

So, if you won't be embarrassed (I would be mortified, so I couldn't do it, I just book the room I want) if they say no or ask you to pay the difference, you can go for it but be prepared that it probably won't happen. Good luck! :flower3:

Thanks! It would actually have to be my brother doing the asking since he'll be arriving and checking in before us. Haha.

Ok, well in the (likely) event that the upgrade isn't possible, anyone have a suggestion for a building we should request? Being near a pool isn't important, but we like to be near the main building.

davedmaine 01-26-2013 07:42 AM

If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.

wolf29 01-26-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedmaine (Post 47311508)
If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.

What is the harm in asking? It does happen on occasion, so unless the OP is going to be crushed by a "No" I would go ahead and ask. If someone really wants an upgrade then they should ask while being prepared to pay, but it never hurts to ask.

aaarcher86 01-26-2013 08:13 AM

My personal opinion is that asking for an upgrade puts the CM at the front desk in an uncomfortable position, and therefore, I don't do it. Is there harm in asking? Not really. I do think it sours the flavor of the interaction when the CM has to find a polite way to say to no... and they have no idea you aren't someone that is going to get irritated with being told no.

There are a few CMs on the board that have blatantly stated that they won't upgrade someone if they ask.

I think it's great you're taking your mother, and she'll be elated with any room at the GF I'm sure. I don't think the situation in particular is unique in Disney though. Lots of birthdays, lots of triumph trips, etc each day.

MyPrinceWillCome 01-26-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedmaine (Post 47311508)
If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.

Well... my mother did ask once before (at the Boardwalk, as I stated in my original post) and we got one. So it does happen. Maybe we got lucky, but it happens.

mickeynut1 01-26-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome (Post 47311434)
Ok, well in the (likely) event that the upgrade isn't possible, anyone have a suggestion for a building we should request? Being near a pool isn't important, but we like to be near the main building.

As others have said, it never hurts to ask, but asking for one is usually a sure way of not getting one or getting a price for what it would cost to upgrade. As far as a building to request, I don't think the GF is that spread out, so everything (to me) is pretty convenient. With that said, we had a GV in Big Pine Key and I liked the location. It's right next to the courtyard pool, but is also close to the main building, Gasparilla's, or anywhere else. Good luck and I hope you have a magical trip :wizard:.

MyPrinceWillCome 01-26-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeynut1 (Post 47311802)
As others have said, it never hurts to ask, but asking for one is usually a sure way of not getting one or getting a price for what it would cost to upgrade. As far as a building to request, I don't think the GF is that spread out, so everything (to me) is pretty convenient. With that said, we had a GV in Big Pine Key and I liked the location. It's right next to the courtyard pool, but is also close to the main building, Gasparilla's, or anywhere else. Good luck and I hope you have a magical trip :wizard:.

Thanks! Maybe I will just have my brother question what an upgrade would cost. Maybe we'll get lucky. And if not, I'm sure it will still be a great trip. :)

mickeynut1 01-26-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome (Post 47311847)
Thanks! Maybe I will just have my brother question what an upgrade would cost. Maybe we'll get lucky. And if not, I'm sure it will still be a great trip. :)

I agree.....with or without an upgrade, you will still have a fabulous trip as the GF is a beautiful resort and a great place to stay :goodvibes.

wolf29 01-26-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarcher86 (Post 47311766)
My personal opinion is that asking for an upgrade puts the CM at the front desk in an uncomfortable position, and therefore, I don't do it. Is there harm in asking? Not really. I do think it sours the flavor of the interaction when the CM has to find a polite way to say to no... and they have no idea you aren't someone that is going to get irritated with being told no.

There are a few CMs on the board that have blatantly stated that they won't upgrade someone if they ask.

I think it's great you're taking your mother, and she'll be elated with any room at the GF I'm sure. I don't think the situation in particular is unique in Disney though. Lots of birthdays, lots of triumph trips, etc each day.

Any CM working the front desk should be comfortable enough handling this request. We all know that WDW guests have higher expectations than anywhere else, so their CMs should be well-traained to handle such a common request comfortably.

mb187143 01-26-2013 08:46 AM

We stayed at the Grand Floridian the night of our wedding (reception was held at the Grand Floridian) and we checked in after the reception. Literally standing at the desk in a tux ad a wedding gown. We got the room category we reserved (garden view). We didn't ask for or expect an upgrade at all.

We stayed in Sago Cay. It was glorious. It didn't matter one bit that it was garden view, the room was wonderful. The walk was short to the main building and there is a short cut by the convention center from that building to the bus stop. We loved every minute.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.