The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Phantom smells (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3053959)

phorsenuf 01-25-2013 06:22 PM

Phantom smells

Lately I keep smelling cigarette smoke. Nobody here smokes and I smell it inside the house at random times. Does anyone else ever get this? It's so odd. :confused3

LongLiveDisney 01-25-2013 06:26 PM

It happened to us yesterday. Same here, no one smokes. It was gone this morning. So weird!

njmom47 01-25-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phorsenuf (Post 47307489)
Lately I keep smelling cigarette smoke. Nobody here smokes and I smell it inside the house at random times. Does anyone else ever get this? It's so odd. :confused3

This happens to me at work from time to time...we have a non-smoking building (of course) but it sure smells like someone smokes in the ladies room. I really don't think it's possible...I really don't, but I feel like I must be crazy but I really do smell it!

Southernmiss 01-25-2013 06:40 PM

Happens to me, too. Sometimes, if the window is open it's the smoke from the lady next door who smokes on her patio. Other times, there's no logical explanation. Maybe its a deceased relative coming around. I don't know...:confused3

thedonduck 01-25-2013 06:46 PM

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/diseases-s...e-5782098.html

Apparently this a syndrome and possibly a sign of major medical problem! Please don't think on trying to scare you or think you need to seek medical help , I just thought this was interesting!

7165red 01-25-2013 06:59 PM

WOW, that is something, thanks for the link.

LSmith 01-25-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phorsenuf (Post 47307489)

Weird. Lately, I often think that I'm smelling cigarette smoke in my home or car and I'm 100% sure that no one smokes.

thedonduck 01-25-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7165red (Post 47307805)
WOW, that is something, thanks for the link.

You bet:thumbsup2! I hope no one takes offense to it! I seriously enjoy reading up on various disorders and man does Dr. Google make that fun at times :rotfl:

momz 01-25-2013 07:18 PM

have you changed your furnace filter lately. maybe you've had some dust burn up in your furnace. It can cause a smell like that.

Kathryn Merteuil 01-25-2013 07:42 PM

We used to experience an odd phantom smell. (Not cigarette smoke) it was more like a nasty, stagnant smell. It as happening in the kitchen, dining room, and up the hall. I never could quite locate it because it wasn't in just one spot AND it was intermittent.

Finally one day I had ENOUGH, I pulled everything out of the kitchen, crawled around and started sniffing like a hound dog or something with a flashlight. I finally discovered it was the refrigerator's drip pan. When the refrigerator ran, it would blow that gosh awful smell out and circulate it. It was a new refrigerator too, like months old. Eventually they replaced it because they could not stop that from happening (after MANY service calls under warranty). The new one... exact same one *knock on wood* has not done anything like that.

In regards to phantom cigarette smoke, I used to live in an apartment and it smelled like smoke all the time...I am assuming it was because the neighbors on both sides were heavy smokers.

SaraJayne 01-25-2013 08:40 PM

Were the previous owners smokers?

Nolcrest 01-25-2013 10:01 PM

Sometimes when someone in my family eats pickles or salad dressing for some reason it smells like cigarette smoke to me. Go figure.

indimom 01-26-2013 12:09 AM

Phantom odors can have a medical cause (some more severe than others). I had a period where I kept smelling household cleaners and Bandaids. Always those two. And it was really, really strong. Almost overpowering, so I knew it wasn't real from the start. I would have had to hold it directly under my nose to get an odor that strong. And it would fade within minutes, five at most.
My doctor believed it was caused by polyps. I guess they irritate the sensory processes and trigger the brain into "thinking" it smells something. Hard to explain. I started using nasal spray to treat the polyps and haven't had a repeat phantom odor in a couple years.
But, there can be other more serious causes, so if it continues, I would check with a doctor.

phorsenuf 01-26-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to see I'm not alone. The previous occupants weren't smokers and before that this was a vacation rental home, so again, no smoking. I started thinking my husband had been sneaking a couple, but it's not him. ;)
The medical links are interesting. If I think of it (and it's still happening) I'll mention it to my Dr at my next appointment.

kimmar067 01-26-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedonduck (Post 47307708)
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/diseases-s...e-5782098.html

Apparently this a syndrome and possibly a sign of major medical problem!

....:eek: wow, that's scary! :scared: