The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Do you own a gun? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3053652)

Bounce_Tigger 01-25-2013 07:53 AM

Do you own a gun?

Poll is forthcoming! Obviously not a thread meant to debate gun control or issues

This came up on another (non-Disney) board I frequent and the amount of "yes's" surprised me. A few posters responded "I always assumed everyone owned at least one gun."

I only just recently discovered that a few extended family members own them which must mean I've been naive to their commonality. I'm also from New England and I understand that it's probably a regional thing.

Edited to add: For those that do - What do your kids know about guns?

Pigeon 01-25-2013 07:54 AM

Never have, never will.

SaraJayne 01-25-2013 07:58 AM

Handguns? No.

Shotgun/rifle for hunting? Yes.

Oh, DS also has a BB gun, but I don't know if that counts or not. ;)

3Gsandme 01-25-2013 08:00 AM

No. And I can't see us owning one.

My Dad had guns when I was growing up. He hunts. We were taught gun safety and how to shoot. I don't have a problem with most guns, but have no desire to have one on my house.

Princess Dolly 01-25-2013 08:01 AM

In the interest of personal safety I don't think people should be discussing what weapons they may or may not have in their homes, especially given the amount of other information people give out on these boards.

eliza61 01-25-2013 08:03 AM

Had one growing up. Come from a long line of NYC policemen.
Don't have one now.

kimmar067 01-25-2013 08:04 AM

...does THIS count?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/2...5432277_tp.jpg

mimmi 01-25-2013 08:06 AM

No, but it's very unusual in my country to own a gun, I don't know anybody who does. I wouldn't even know how to obtain a permit and I think it's very hard to get one.

Wishing on a star 01-25-2013 08:07 AM

Kimmar... :rotfl:

Yes, we (my husband) do own a couple of guns.
In fact, I have posted here before... One is like the old American Express commercials 'never leave home without it'.

Domo 01-25-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmar067 (Post 47302033)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Srsly though, I *kinda* have some guns. One match air rifle, for competition target shooting (.177) and several airsoft (read: BB) guns, for (you guessed it) airsofting with, although I'm selling those off bit by bit as I only really need one to play with :p

BensDaddy 01-25-2013 08:08 AM

I don't own one. Never hunted or anything. When I was a kid at "Camp Watonka" I did a little rifle target shooting. That was fun. I guess my parents drilled into my head that guns were dangerous so I never bought one. But with all of the newsmedia coverage I am actually a little concerned that my family may be at risk WITHOUT one. Everyone in my area (Arkansas) seems to be amassing an arsenal. So we may look again at purchasing a hand gun if I can find someone to teach me and my wife how to use it properly and safely.

lustergirl 01-25-2013 08:09 AM

Yes. My job requires me to carry a concealed weapon. My son is in the marine reserves and has several handgun and assault rifles. I am also a certified firearms instructor.

bettymae1121 01-25-2013 08:09 AM

Well "I" don't but DH has quite the collection. DD is still only a baby so we haven't had a gun safety talk yet, but I hope by the time she's a bit older DH will store his guns off site. He's talked about it before but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Meanwhile they are locked up in a gun cabinet unless he's working on them or takes them to the gun range.

My father also had a shot gun and hunting rifle when I was growing up, though they stayed in their cases at the back of his closet (unloaded of course) and he never used them. He used to hunt before I was born but stopped once life with us kids got too busy.

Weather you have a gun in the home or no, always talk to your kids about gun safety. They may encounter a gun at a friends home and you want them to know what to do (don't play with it, if your friend does go find an adult, always treat a gun like it's loaded, don't pick it up/point it at anyone, etc.).

joviroxx 01-25-2013 08:11 AM

Yes. There is a handgun, 2 shotguns and a rifle. My husband is a hunter as well.

Kids know about the guns. DS 15 has been ttaught to use and shoot the gun from a young age. They both know all about gun safety. We have never had an issue with "curious" m inds. They know that guns need to be respected.

rgf207 01-25-2013 08:11 AM

Yes, I own several. Mixture of handguns, rifles and shotguns. All of them are passed down from my grandfather & father.