The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jj abrams directing new star wars!!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3053449)

yitbos96bb 01-24-2013 04:32 PM

Jj abrams directing new star wars!!!
 
Waiting on the official announcement but everyone is reporting it!!! Great Start Disney!!!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...sode-vii.jhtml

DizCaptain 01-24-2013 05:14 PM

Excellent pick in my opinion. Abrams is one of my favorite current filmmakers, and he can easily adapt to keep with the tradition of a style of film.

YoHo 01-24-2013 05:24 PM

As a Disney and Star Wars (And for that matter Star Trek) Fan. I say UGH!

I'd rather have Gore Verbinski.

GreenCntryGirl 01-24-2013 06:04 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

KapBoy77 01-24-2013 08:27 PM

Awesome! :)

lockedoutlogic 01-24-2013 09:12 PM

I dunno...


On one hand it creates some sizzle...

On the other Abrams has had a hard time finishing a story - if you look at it objectively. He ran out if gas on Lost an the Star Trek movie - while a step in the right direction...was too heavy on CGI and became a little too watered down.

I'll give him a mulligan on that though.

I actually wanted someone like Christopher Nolan...who understands that nothing looks worse than elaborate, expensive CGI with no depth...would have liked to see John Favreau take a shot too

But I guess we'll wait and see.

Waterloo moment coming for Star Wars with this movie - obviously. Either become relevant in the context of pop culture again or continue to slide toward silliness.

Possibly a big turning point for Disney as well.

They appear to sparing no expense though ...Abrams did not come cheap. The screenwriters they're lining up are good as well. Lawrence kasdan coming back for the sequels brings some familiarity to the old ...aka "good"...movies.

Nervous and optimistic.

yitbos96bb 01-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoHo (Post 47297154)
As a Disney and Star Wars (And for that matter Star Trek) Fan. I say UGH!

I'd rather have Gore Verbinski.

Unfortunately, the response I want to give to this comment is not allowed by the TOS, but needless to say, I feel you are very very very very very wrong.

yitbos96bb 01-24-2013 10:10 PM

Yes, well your Tarantino comments in the past make me question your take on Abrams both with Star Trek and Star Wars but hey each of us are entitled to our opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 47299496)
I dunno...


On one hand it creates some sizzle...

On the other Abrams has had a hard time finishing a story - if you look at it objectively. He ran out if gas on Lost an the Star Trek movie - while a step in the right direction...was too heavy on CGI and became a little too watered down.

I'll give him a mulligan on that though.

I actually wanted someone like Christopher Nolan...who understands that nothing looks worse than elaborate, expensive CGI with no depth...would have liked to see John Favreau take a shot too

But I guess we'll wait and see.

Waterloo moment coming for Star Wars with this movie - obviously. Either become relevant in the context of pop culture again or continue to slide toward silliness.

Possibly a big turning point for Disney as well.

They appear to sparing no expense though ...Abrams did not come cheap. The screenwriters they're lining up are good as well. Lawrence kasdan coming back for the sequels brings some familiarity to the old ...aka "good"...movies.

Nervous and optimistic.


YoHo 01-24-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yitbos96bb (Post 47299986)
Unfortunately, the response I want to give to this comment is not allowed by the TOS, but needless to say, I feel you are very very very very very wrong.

Well, my comment was damning with faint praise.

aka, Twice nothing is still nothing.

Jj Abrams is not good. To me, Verbinski, in the context of Star Wars specifically is ever so slightly less not good.

Brocktoon 01-25-2013 06:36 AM

Just what Star Wars needs ... more lens flare!

Besides his obscene overuse of lens flare, I think it's not too bad of a choice. They could have done much worse, and I enjoyed Star Trek and Super 8. The test will be to see how he handles a completly unique fantasy universe, not just Sci-Fi based in our 'earth universe' or future.

DRDISNEYMD 01-25-2013 07:55 AM

~Star Trek is so boring. I was really hoping that The Avenger's director would produce Star Wars! We'll see! :goodvibes

Pumbaa7287 01-25-2013 08:21 AM

Thrilled with this choice. My fave current film maker, and unlike many others, I loved the end of Lost, and enjoyed Star Trek, so I'm very happy with this choice.

DizCaptain 01-25-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD (Post 47301946)
~Star Trek is so boring. I was really hoping that The Avenger's director would produce Star Wars! We'll see! :goodvibes

Did you happen to see Abrams' 2009 Star Trek? It was quite a good movie... and I love Joss Whedon (Avengers), but Star Wars really wouldn't be a good fit for him.

wiigirl 01-25-2013 11:09 AM

Suh-Weet! :cheer2:

YoHo 01-25-2013 11:10 AM

Actually, I think Joss Whedon would make a fine Star Wars director. his penchant for character interaction would be an excellent fit in Star Wars.

Plus, all those "Joss Whedon is my master now" Tshirts would have new relevance.


He's never done movies, but if they were going to pull someone over with Trek experience, I'd have loved to see what Ron D. Moore did with it. He has hands down created the best SciFi, the best Space Opera since perhaps the originals.

Of course, I'd rather have him handling the writing than the directing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.