The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First-timer questions: dining and luggage (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3052037)

mrfredmor 01-22-2013 11:04 AM

First-timer questions: dining and luggage

I've searched the threads and can't find a good answer to these two (potentially stupid) questions - help!

Going on the Magic this Saturday and wondering about dinner plans. My family wants to do the MDR some nights but not every night; are the other dining establishments available in the evening (buffet, etc.)?

Also, regarding storing luggage, we have some nesting suitcases the largest of which needs an underbed clearance of about 12" to fit - will this work or should we use duffles? If it makes any diff, we'll be in 6008.

Love the enthusiasm and helpful nature of the DISboarders here - looking forward to a great time! :cool1:

Jareds_mommy 01-22-2013 11:09 AM

there is a buffet for dinner

kcashner 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

On the Magic, if you lift the bed frame you are able to slide bigger luggage underneath the bed. The frame hangs down and blocks the access until you lift it up. You should have no problem sliding the cases under (I can fit my 27 inch expandable without trouble). TO be complete, the beds on the new ships are higher so luggage slides under without lifting.

Dinner--first and last nights, MDRs and adult dining only. Fast food outlets and room service is also available. Other nights, Topsiders (pool deck) will offer a "walk in" at your convenience, casual table service. They had a menu of selections from the MDRs, a salad bar, and a "carved item." This is a training restaurant, so no tipping is expected. The food quality and service was EXCELLENT. We were very pleased. You just show up at the podium during the hours listed in the Navigator. If you wish, you can review the menu at the podium before making a decision. It is not the FULL menu from any dining room. On signature nights, it is 2 items from each MDR, on theme nights it is 5 selected entrees.

There is NO buffet for dinner on the Magic or Fantasy. No RECENT personal experience on other ships.

SunshineCruiser 01-22-2013 11:22 AM

I thought that Topsiders was the buffet for Dinner. Never heard of a sit down restaurant other than the 3 main dining rooms. Is it different on different ships?

kcashner 01-22-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineCruiser (Post 47270596)
I thought that Topsiders was the buffet for Dinner. Never heard of a sit down restaurant other than the 3 main dining rooms. Is it different on different ships?

Topsiders is a buffet at breakfast and lunch. It is a casual sit down at dinner, and is closed at dinner on the first and last nights (at least on 7 night cruises. Shorter/longer cruises may vary.) Cabanas on the Fantasy was the same way. On the Magic, this has been happening at least since 2011.

It was totally GREAT! Good atmosphere, no crowds, relatively quiet, great view. But we may have just chosen a good night.

PrincessShmoo 01-22-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcashner (Post 47270489)
On the Magic, if you lift the bed frame you are able to slide bigger luggage underneath the bed. The frame hangs down and blocks the access until you lift it up. You should have no problem sliding the cases under (I can fit my 27 inch expandable without trouble). TO be complete, the beds on the new ships are higher so luggage slides under without lifting.

Dinner--first and last nights, MDRs and adult dining only. Fast food outlets and room service is also available. Other nights, Topsiders (pool deck) will offer a "walk in" at your convenience, casual table service. They had a menu of selections from the MDRs, a salad bar, and a "carved item." This is a training restaurant, so no tipping is expected. The food quality and service was EXCELLENT. We were very pleased. You just show up at the podium during the hours listed in the Navigator. If you wish, you can review the menu at the podium before making a decision. It is not the FULL menu from any dining room. On signature nights, it is 2 items from each MDR, on theme nights it is 5 selected entrees.

There is NO buffet for dinner on the Magic or Fantasy. No RECENT personal experience on other ships.

On the Wonder Beach Blanket Buffet is also a sit-down table service for dinner.

erionm 01-22-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 47270712)
On the Wonder Beach Blanket Buffet is also a sit-down table service for dinner.

As is Cabanas on the Dream for dinner.

bats 01-22-2013 11:41 AM

We also did Cabanas for a relaxed dinner .. fantastic view, better than any other restaurant!

Great service, great food.:)

mrfredmor 01-22-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the great info!!