The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How strict are they about kids menus? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051329)

Calle&Jakesmom 01-21-2013 07:51 AM

How strict are they about kids menus?

As my kids are getting older (and both tall for their age), I'm wondering how strict Disney table service restaurants are about kid's meals and the 9 year old age limit.
Also, my son, the older & bigger child, is very picky about food and would likely not eat anything on the adult menu. He definately prefers kid's pizza, chicken, and mac & chesse.
We're Disney veterns and know which restaurants and food we prefer, but haven't run into this challenge before. I'm guessing that this will in part depend on the restaurant and the server, but does anyone have experience with being questioned about kid's age?

disney1990 01-21-2013 08:36 AM

You should have no problems. Most restaurants will serve kids meals to adults but some charge an up charge.

DisneyMom2Boyz 01-21-2013 08:42 AM

You should consider psying out of pocket. If paying out of pocket you can order anything you want, if not buffet or family style. If on the plan your over 9 child will be charged the adult price on dining and you'll be pying alot for adult mac & cheese. I would pay out of pocket and it would come out better for you? Check the menu pricing and estimate what it would cost your family oop vs disney dining.

MrRomance 01-21-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom (Post 47257584)
As my kids are getting older (and both tall for their age), I'm wondering how strict Disney table service restaurants are about kid's meals and the 9 year old age limit.
Also, my son, the older & bigger child, is very picky about food and would likely not eat anything on the adult menu. He definately prefers kid's pizza, chicken, and mac & chesse.
We're Disney veterns and know which restaurants and food we prefer, but haven't run into this challenge before. I'm guessing that this will in part depend on the restaurant and the server, but does anyone have experience with being questioned about kid's age?

My MIL orders from the kids menu quite often, but we are always on the DDP so I guess Disney figure they're the winners by only providing a kids meal for an adult credit.

Calle&Jakesmom 01-21-2013 08:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

We're not using Dining Plan.

BEASLYBOO 01-21-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom (Post 47258227)
Thanks for the info.

We're not using Dining Plan.

Since you aren't on the DDP, you can order from the kids menu. My friend's (11) daughter is ever so picky and we've encountered a few restaurants that try to sway you into ordering from the adult menu because of the age or the size of the child, but stick to your guns, tell then since it's OOP it shouldn't matter, and they always cave in!

jwfla422 01-21-2013 10:00 AM

My dd (14) still orders from the kid's menus when she can't find something she likes on the regular menu or when she wants her meaty macaroni dish. :goodvibes We always pay OOP since we are TIW cardholders, never been an issue.

bucky1023 01-21-2013 04:23 PM

We always pay OOP and my mom, who has just can't eat as much as she used to, sometimes orders off the kids menu and never has been questioned.

Just remember that if it is a buffet you will still be charged for an adult, even if he only eats nuggets and mac & cheese (I usually avoid when it is just the two of us since it isn't worth the $$ we pay for her, when she only has one plate of food)

Merbean09 01-21-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyMom2Boyz (Post 47258119)
You should consider psying out of pocket. If paying out of pocket you can order anything you want, if not buffet or family style. If on the plan your over 9 child will be charged the adult price on dining and you'll be pying alot for adult mac & cheese. I would pay out of pocket and it would come out better for you? Check the menu pricing and estimate what it would cost your family oop vs disney dining.

It always feels like there's at least one person trying to talk someone out of a dining plan, when sometimes that's not even the topic! OOP or not, I'm sure the server would do whatever it takes to please you! :wizard:

goofyintoronto 01-21-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merbean09

It always feels like there's at least one person trying to talk someone out of a dining plan, when sometimes that's not even the topic! OOP or not, I'm sure the server would do whatever it takes to please you! :wizard:

Well said! I agree. The server will accommodate you. They have a lot of experience with picky eaters!

robinb 01-21-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom (Post 47257584)

I have heard of issues at La Hacienda of older kids ordering off the kids menu and I experienced an issue at Marrakesh. My DD had no problem ordering off of most kids menus when she was 12 and ordered off the kids menu at Yak n Yeti when she was 13. She's getting bigger and her tastes are FINALLY starting to get more mature and she ate more adult meals on our last trip than kids meals on our last trip. If your kids are fussy but need more food than your average kids meal you can order adult portions of the kids meals too.

North of Mouse 01-21-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merbean09 (Post 47264254)

The server may do what they can to please you, but if you are paying with the DDP, an adult will be charged the adult price for an adult serving of child's food. That's why is it *cheaper* to pay OOP instead of the DDP if you have someone that is considered an adult to Disney, but only wants a child's food.

Merbean09 01-22-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North of Mouse (Post 47265917)
The server may do what they can to please you, but if you are paying with the DDP, an adult will be charged the adult price for an adult serving of child's food. That's why is it *cheaper* to pay OOP instead of the DDP if you have someone that is considered an adult to Disney, but only wants a child's food.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying OP didn't ask about prices, OP just asked if it would be possible.

roselark 01-22-2013 12:55 PM

I often order kids meals, especially at CS locations. I like the grapes and carrots options and it is more than enough food with a lower cost. I have done it a few of times at TS locations when I wasn't very hungry and if they had something other than chicken nuggets. I prefer to snack through the day and so eat less at the main meal times. I have never had a problem and I am nearly 40.

ChelMomto5 01-22-2013 04:00 PM

Anyone have experience with kids meals at T-Rex?

My sons are pretty picky (ages 10 & 12) and it seems to me like I might have read somewhere that the T-Rex wouldn't let kids over 9 eat from the kids menu. We'd really like to try the T-Rex but short of the kids menu, there is nothing my kids will eat. We will not be using the dining plan.

TIA

Michelle