The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First or Second seating?? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050871)

Melmo1978 01-20-2013 02:18 PM

First or Second seating??

Hi all,

It's me again :) I'm having difficulty picking between 1st and 2nd seating. Our boys are 4 and 6. Does anyone have any recommendation? How long are the shows/dinner? Thanks in advance for any advice

kelly1275 01-20-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melmo1978 (Post 47249564)
Hi all,

It's me again :) I'm having difficulty picking between 1st and 2nd seating. Our boys are 4 and 6. Does anyone have any recommendation? How long are the shows/dinner? Thanks in advance for any advice

We picked early dinner which is 5:30. We usually eat late at home but with our son & our nephew & my mother in law is was better for 5:30. I'm glad we didn't eat at 8 because then you wouldn't get done until almost 10 which is pretty late with kids. There's plenty of time to see the shows after dinner which dinner lasted about 1 1/2 and I think about the same for the shows.

Melmo1978 01-20-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks, Kelly! I agree! I appreciate your help :)

Princess Denise 01-26-2013 03:45 PM

We are doing the second seating.. we would rather eat after we see a show :) We also have no children and we were told there are less children in 2nd seating. But, I also heard about dine and play for kids which i think is only for 2nd seating? I am not quite sure what dine and play is though..

Stitch'sCousin 01-26-2013 03:49 PM

We picked first seating for all of our cruises because we normally eat around 5:30 at home. When we did some late dinners at WDW last summer with our kids, we found we were too full right before bed.:)

lady9 01-26-2013 05:25 PM

You will have time for the shows no matter which seating you pick. If you are 1st seating, you see the show after dinner. If you are 2nd seating, you see the show before dinner. At the 2nd seating, they have dine and play. Kids are served their meal promptly. At about 9:00, a counselor from the kid's club comes to the entrance of the MDRs and take any child wanting to go to the club with them to play. We preferred this when our kids were young as it gave us time to enjoy dinner with the kids, then send them to play while we lingered over our dinner and dessert. Our kids are often up late on vacation so this worked for us.

kcashner 01-26-2013 05:33 PM

The shows are 45 minutes and usually start at 6 and 8:30. You go to the show which is opposite your dinner.

Adult dinners are usually about 90 minutes...longer if you have a slow server or linger over dessert and coffee. You can ask them to "expedite" the kid service and they will have time to be served, eat, and be out of the dining room in 45 minutes.

If you have main seating, you'll have to take your little darlings to the OC after they eat. If you have late dining, the staff will come at 9 to collect them for you.

mawhite424 01-26-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin (Post 47315530)
We picked first seating for all of our cruises because we normally eat around 5:30 at home. When we did some late dinners at WDW last summer with our kids, we found we were too full right before bed.:)

that, and we found ourselves snacking before dinner because we were so hungry!

We've done both - main seating with younger kids and late seating with older kids. We all agreed the main seating worked better for us, and this is what we're doing in April!! :thumbsup2

GusGus77 01-26-2013 05:36 PM

We did first seating with our kids, 4 and almost 2, on our cruise in October. I figured since we eat around 5:30 at home and they go to bed at 7pm it would be a good fit. I was VERY wrong. We felt REALLY rushed to try to get cleaned up and to dinner after our activities for the day (especially after Castaway Cay) and there definitely wasn't time for nap or resting with eating so early. I found the kids loved the kids club (the older one) and the shows/evening activities.) They ended up being up until 10:30 or later every night and did well! Next time we will do later seating and plan on doing the dine and play so the kids go to the kids club after they eat and we can finish our meal in peace. (Sometimes the meals were too long for them.) If they are hungry earlier we will get them something from one of the quick places or room service. We found they really wanted some sort of snack or treat around 3 or 4pm so they weren't hungry for 5:30 dining, either.

Everyone is different, though, and I know some people's experiences will be the exact opposite.

TLSnell1981 01-26-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcashner (Post 47316458)
The shows are 45 minutes and usually start at 6 and 8:30. You go to the show which is opposite your dinner..

If you have main seating, you'll have to take your little darlings to the OC after they eat. If you have late dining, the staff will come at 9 to collect them for you.

We do second seating, so the kids can see the show. They can't wait for the OC

kristieboyd 01-26-2013 06:24 PM

This will be our first Disney cruise, but we opted for the late seating. Our boys are 4 & 7, but they always end up staying up late anyway on vacations. I figure the Dine & Play is a good option so they can spend some of dinner with us, but not have to sit there for the entire service, nor will we have to get up during dinner to take them to the OC. If they get hungry, we can always order some room service around 3-4 when we go back to the room to rest and change for the show.

chasingthedream 01-26-2013 06:31 PM

Second for us!

We did second seating on both of our cruises. We fly from Seattle to Orlando so the time difference makes it seem like normal dinner time for us. On both occasions we never adjusted to the time zone which made coming home a tiny bit easier.

SnipsNSnails 01-26-2013 08:51 PM

My boys are 6 and 3 (will turn 4, 8 days after we return) and we chose first seating. We had second seating last time (and got it changed after the first night to main) and they both fell asleep at the table and it felt so late to me that I wasn't that hungry. I'm not worried about feeling rushed before dinner since we are 4 at sea days, CC, Key West we're onboard by 12:45, and WDW so we won't be back for dinner. I also don't forsee my kids going to the clubs a lot so dine and play isn't something that would sway me. Last cruise they didn't go unless it was open time when we could go with them. Another consideration is that my dad has diabetes. We have always done main seating and it works so well for us, but each family is different and there are lots of things to consider.

Macmaro 01-26-2013 09:45 PM

We prefer the second seating and we have a 5 year old. It just spaces things out better for us. Main seating made us feel like we were eating all the time. Breakfast at 8-9, lunch and noon-2, and dinner at 5:30 was too much. By the time dinner rolls around at second seating we are usually hungry. Our daughter is a night owl on cruises, staying in the clubs until close to midnight.

Meghatron 01-27-2013 12:12 AM

We do first seating for many reasons:

1) We sail on the Classic ships, so it's super easy to take DD to the clubs if she's itching to go during dinner. The Dine and Play is nothing more than a child pickup convenience that is not worth the trade-off for a later dinner.

2) We do not like seeing the show before dinner. Just feels weird to us, even when we sailed without kids and had second seating.

3) Much easier logistically to eat first and then take DS to the nursery for the show and beyond, especially since Flounder's has a two-hour minimum per check-in.

4) DD is a nightmare when she's hungry, like me, and so show enjoyment would be much lower with a rumbly tummy. Having to take the time to get a snack beforehand defeats the purpose of not having to rush to get ready.