The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bringing on Alcohol (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050439)

KEMdisney 01-19-2013 05:51 PM

Bringing on Alcohol
 
Hi friends! I've read several threads about the alcohol policy on the ships. I'm aware of the carry-on rule, the size of the carryon etc. My question is, for those of you who fly and take Disney transportation from the airport to the port.. where/when do buy your alcohol?

Obviously you can't carry-on on the plane, but if you put it in your checked bags, you wont see you bags until you get to your stateroom, correct?

Is there a place to buy it?
How do you make this work?

I love that Disney allows you to bring your own - I just cant quite figure out how to make it work logistically :confused3

"Cinder" Ella's Mom 01-19-2013 05:57 PM

That is hard without a stop (private transportation). I think someone did mention duty free shops at the airport, but that would really be your only option if you go from airport to port with Disney.

Jareds_mommy 01-19-2013 06:00 PM

we are coing in from out of the US so we are able to buy it at the duty free at the airport

Yvet 01-19-2013 06:01 PM

I have never done this but i believe (and when i'm wrong or partly wrong somebody will corrrct me) that you can put the alcohol in your checked luggage then don't put the DCL labels on the luggage.
When you arrive go to baggage claim get the alcohol out of your checked luggage put it in your carry on and then put the DCL labels on your luggage.
Bring you luggage with you to the check in desk for DCL transportation and then they take care of our luggage with now your labels on them and you have your alcohol in your carry on.

scrapbookmomma74 01-19-2013 06:04 PM

We have done it a couple of different ways.
1. We pack it in our checked bags and then remove it before boarding the ship (usually done at the hotel that we stay at the night before cruising, but could be done as long as you claim your own luggage)
2. Rent a car for the drive to the port and stop at a liquor store.

It sounds like you are flying and using DCL transportation...is that right? I would consider just claiming ONE bag, the one with the alcohol, and quickly repacking while en-route.

It's such a fantastic perk...we usually buy plenty onboard as well, but its nice to have the option of making my own cocktail.

Good luck!

Jareds_mommy 01-19-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 (Post 47242231)
We have done it a couple of different ways.
1. We pack it in our checked bags and then remove it before boarding the ship (usually done at the hotel that we stay at the night before cruising, but could be done as long as you claim your own luggage)
2. Rent a car for the drive to the port and stop at a liquor store.

It sounds like you are flying and using DCL transportation...is that right? I would consider just claiming ONE bag, the one with the alcohol, and quickly repacking while en-route.

It's such a fantastic perk...we usually buy plenty onboard as well, but its nice to have the option of making my own cocktail.

Good luck!

whoo we know whos cabin the party is inparty:

PrincessShmoo 01-19-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEMdisney (Post 47242128)
Hi friends! I've read several threads about the alcohol policy on the ships. I'm aware of the carry-on rule, the size of the carryon etc. My question is, for those of you who fly and take Disney transportation from the airport to the port.. where/when do buy your alcohol?

Obviously you can't carry-on on the plane, but if you put it in your checked bags, you wont see you bags until you get to your stateroom, correct?

Is there a place to buy it?
How do you make this work?

I love that Disney allows you to bring your own - I just cant quite figure out how to make it work logistically :confused3

As the DCL transfers don't make any stops enroute to the ship, it will require a little work on your part.

When packing at home, place your beverages in one bag that will be checked. Put your DCL transfer tags on all your checked bags EXCEPT the one with the beverages in it.

When you land at MCO, go to baggage claim and claim the one bag with the beverages. Transfer your beverages from the checked bag to your carryon bag. Place your DCL transfer tag on this bag now. Carry your one checked bag to the DCL transfer desk and turn it in there (you may need to take it to the driver, but it's not much farther than the desk). Your "separate" bag will now join up with your other checked bags and turn up at your room later.

One note re: duty-free shops, those are only after you pass security in the international terminal, there's no place in the airport to purchase alcohol.

rentayenta 02-02-2013 10:39 PM

This a really cool perk. Is there a corkage fee for wine during meals?

PrincessShmoo 02-02-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentayenta (Post 47389837)
This a really cool perk. Is there a corkage fee for wine during meals?

If you bring your personal wine into the dining rooms (or any other public venue) there is a $20 corking fee.

rentayenta 02-02-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 47389853)
If you bring your personal wine into the dining rooms (or any other public venue) there is a $20 corking fee.

Thank you. :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.