The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Kids checking self out of clubs? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050391)

sham10299 01-19-2013 02:48 PM

Kids checking self out of clubs?
 
At what age are kids allowed to check themselves out of clubs? I heard it is as young as 8. I am concerned about my nearly 9 yo checking herself out and roaming this massive ship. Anything could happen, ie predators, getting lost, general safety issues. Does DCL really allow this?

MissDaisyofTexas 01-19-2013 02:50 PM

I think you have to sign them up for checkout privileges. Our son was 8 on our last cruise and we did not give him checkout privileges. We could barely find our way around the ship ourselves as adults! LOL

su_A_ve 01-19-2013 02:53 PM

You as the parent will be the one who decides if you will allow your child to have self checkout privileges. This would allow them to roam the ship on their own.

You must sign a form that would allow them to do so, so unless you do, you would have to drop them off and pick them up. If they need you, CMs would contact you on your wave phone.

Jareds_mommy 01-19-2013 03:01 PM

yes as a parent you say if they get that privilage

Stitch'sCousin 01-19-2013 03:52 PM

You get to decide if you want your daughter to have sign out privileges or not. When our daughter was 9yo and 10yo on our previous cruises, we did not give her sign out privileges.:)

squirrelgirl 01-19-2013 04:06 PM

What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?

sham10299 01-19-2013 04:24 PM

That sound better. She will NOT have sign out privileges then. Thanks for the clarification.

"Cinder" Ella's Mom 01-19-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelgirl
What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?

I don't think so. There is no sign in and out at the Edge.

Jareds_mommy 01-19-2013 05:04 PM

the Edge is totally come and go as they want

kcashner 01-19-2013 05:50 PM

8 and older can sign out WITH parent's permission. Mom still holds all the power. ALL kids in the Edge have to be able to sign themselves in and out.

lbgraves 01-19-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelgirl (Post 47241755)
What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?

You can request that, but it will be up to him to tell the CM to contact you. They will not stop anyone from leaving the Edge since there is no CM at the front to check them in or out. There are not as many CMs assigned to the Edge as the lab. There is also no bathroom in the Edge like there is in the lab/club.

squirrelgirl 01-20-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will contact DCL directly to see what options might be available. We certainly would prefer the Lab due to the extra controls in place. But since he is now older, this is going to be a challenge.

lbgraves 01-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelgirl (Post 47251494)
Thanks for the feedback. I will contact DCL directly to see what options might be available. We certainly would prefer the Lab due to the extra controls in place. But since he is now older, this is going to be a challenge.

I don't think that it has been mentioned, but if your son would enjoy spending time in the lab, that is an option during the open house times. An adult would HAVE to stay with him while it is open house, however.

lanejudy 01-20-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelgirl (Post 47241755)
What about an older child? My son will have just turned 13 when we cruise. Now that he is older and no longer eligible for Club/Lab, I am concerned. He has some developmental delays. We always had peace of mind with the system in place in the Club/Lab...and he did great. But he is not ready to roam, and while I can certainly tell him what is expected, we need to have a bit more control given his issues.

Can we ask that he is still required to sign in and cannot leave without a parent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrelgirl (Post 47251494)
Thanks for the feedback. I will contact DCL directly to see what options might be available. We certainly would prefer the Lab due to the extra controls in place. But since he is now older, this is going to be a challenge.

Unfortunately, I don't think DCL will allow a 13-year-old into the Club/Lab. The overlap age is 11-12, meaning kids those age have choice of Club/Lab or EDGE, with many opting for the "older" experience. DCL revamped their kids club system and ages during the past year and has been fairly firm on keeping older out of younger spaces. As a PP mentioned, there is an "Open House" time where your 13-year-old would be allowed at the Club or Lab with a parent, but not as supervised programming.

You mentioned developmental delays... how well does your DS follow your family rules? If you made a rule with him that he had to ask the CM at Edge to call you when he wishes to leave, would he do that? Or that he MUST return to your stateroom if he leaves the Edge? Or you could pre-arrange that you would "pick him up" at a certain time (depending on which ship, I believe access to the Edge is restricted by KTTW card) - maybe meeting him by the elevator? My DD is very "by the rules" whether they are our family rules or more formal public rules, so those options would work for us, not sure if that's helpful for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

buglady11 01-20-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanejudy

You mentioned developmental delays... how well does your DS follow your family rules? If you made a rule with him that he had to ask the CM at Edge to call you when he wishes to leave, would he do that? Or that he MUST return to your stateroom if he leaves the Edge? Or you could pre-arrange that you would "pick him up" at a certain time (depending on which ship, I believe access to the Edge is restricted by KTTW card) - maybe meeting him by the elevator? My DD is very "by the rules" whether they are our family rules or more formal public rules, so those options would work for us, not sure if that's helpful for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can sympathize with the pp. This is our first cruise and I am very relieved that my special needs twins (age 11) cannot sign themselves out of the club. I am wondering... If I don't take them to the Edge, will they find out about that place from others? I am sure my ds would love the video game area (EDge right?) but he gets "stuck" so easily that I could see fits if he found out that was a "choice" for him. My 11 year olds are about at the level of 6/7 for common sense. I would love to have a rule follower but...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.