The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Camping at Disney World (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ferry to MK (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050104)

DaisyFoote 01-19-2013 06:13 AM

Ferry to MK

What's it like to ride the ferry from FWC to the MK? Last time I went to MK I didn't account for the monorail taking so long and I missed the morning show most of the time. I wanted to make sure I allowed enough time for transportation this time. How early should I leave? I read on the map that there is different colored flags on the ferries. Should I avoid a certain color flag?

North of Mouse 01-19-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyFoote (Post 47236756)
What's it like to ride the ferry from FWC to the MK? Last time I went to MK I didn't account for the monorail taking so long and I missed the morning show most of the time. I wanted to make sure I allowed enough time for transportation this time. How early should I leave? I read on the map that there is different colored flags on the ferries. Should I avoid a certain color flag?

I'm confused by your question :confused3

The ferry only runs between the MK & ticket/transportation center, so doesn't provide transportation to FW. You should take the large boat directly to the MK, doesn't take but about 15 min. You could also take the small launch to the CR, then take a short 5min walk to the MK, or catch the monorail (would take much longer). The flags have nothing to do with the length of time to MK.

Hope this helps.

2goofycampers 01-19-2013 09:38 AM

The boat ride from FW to MK is 10 minutes dock to dock. If I had to be somewhere I'd leave at least 30 minutes time for transportation. From MK, look for signs to FW dock. From FW, keep to the left side of the dock for MK boat.

DaisyFoote 01-19-2013 10:44 AM

Thanks!

That's what I needed to know - Thanks! I just want to make sure I don't miss the morning show this time. We were hoping that staying at the campground would help us avoid the TTC and the monorail from there - ughh. I'm very excited about having a direct route to MK. :cool1:

hoosll 01-19-2013 11:01 AM

The boats start running 30 minutes before MK opens so you need to get there early to make the first boat. Later in the day the boat lines can get very heavy when Hoopdedoo lets out so be aware that sometimes taking the boat to Cont can be faster. We like to go to Cont and catch the monorail to TTC then Epcot. Also, it works to take boat to MK and then catch a bus to other resorts or to Epcot resorts then walk through Int'l Gateway to World Showcase for dinner.

bama_ed 01-19-2013 01:39 PM

What folks said here is correct.

On the FW dock, the left side (don't remember the color) is the bigger boat to go to MK. The first one leaves about 30 minutes before MK opening and we have taken it many times and it does get you there in time to go through security, through the turnstiles, and to see the opening show. Sometimes it will leave a few minutes earlier and stop at Wilderness Lodge along the way.

The right hand side of the dock is the smaller boats that run back in a circle between Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary Resort, and Fort Wilderness. It starts much earlier (like 630 am?) to give folks a ride if they have breakfast plans at one of those spots. People can and do jump this boat to the CR, then make the short walk from the CR parking lot to the MK gate. That gives you a little more control time wise. And a little exercise. :rolleyes:

Bama ED

DaisyFoote 01-20-2013 01:09 PM

The idea of taking the boat to BLT and then the monorail for TTC and then to Epcot sounds like an interesting concept - one I haven't thought about it. If I want to be at Epcot for rope drop - how early should I leave to do this? Would it be better just to drive?

tobikaye 01-20-2013 02:12 PM

Usually from FW, it is easiest to drive to all the parks except MK. Using the boat to the Contemporary and the monorail is fun, but time consuming.

FW cabin/camp spot to marina: 5-15 minutes
Boat to Contemporary: 10-15 minutes
Contemporary marina to monorail: 5-10 minutes depending on walking speed and not stopping
Monorail to TTC then to EP: 20-25 minutes

(This is estimated.)

My parents took the monorail back from EP one day while I drove my sister back. We were walking to the car at the same time they walked up the ramp to the monorail. My sister got back to our cabin, went to the bathroom before they called to let us know the were just taking off in the boat to FW. I drove the golf cart down to pick them up and got there a couple minutes before their boat.

DaisyFoote 01-20-2013 02:47 PM

Thanks Tobikaye - very thorough answer. I will definately drive. :goodvibes

2goofycampers 01-20-2013 05:07 PM

The bus ain't so bad. At least when you get dropped off you're close to the entrance. With a car it can be a bit of a walk to the entrance.