The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   California & the West (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Beach hotels near San Diego? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3049831)

hope23 01-18-2013 02:43 PM

Beach hotels near San Diego?

We are spending a few days in the San Diego/ Carlsbad/ La Jolla area and would love to stay near the ocean, if it's not too expensive. Any suggestions for good places to try? Thanks!

hope23 01-20-2013 01:24 PM

In case anyone is wondering, I throughly researched this and found a great place on Pacific Beach near Crystal Pier. It's called Capri by the Sea and it's an old apartment building right on the beach that's been renovated into individual condominiums to book like a hotel. We got a great sale price and I'm super excited about it! Each room has a full wall of windows overlooking the ocean and a small walk out balcony. It has a full kitchen and is a short walk to many restaurants, groceries, etc. The reviews on it are excellent, so if you're looking for a unique place to stay right on the beach, check it out!!

poohj80 01-20-2013 01:34 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay. It's not too far from Mission Beach and convenient to Sea World if it's in your plans. They also have a great pool with 3 water slides and a fire pit for making smores if you have kids.

3DisMunchkins 01-31-2013 10:31 AM

Bumping for any other suggestions to check out!
Thanks!!

cmusschoot 02-02-2013 01:03 PM

I am interested too...

Headed to San diego, looking for beach front suite to stay and play. I have 3 kids so beach access and fun pool are a bonus!!

Looking for any suggestions, I think I have our location narowwed down to Mission Bay...
Plan day trips to Sea World and the zoo.
Thanks.

poohj80 02-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmusschoot (Post 47385592)
Headed to San diego, looking for beach front suite to stay and play. I have 3 kids so beach access and fun pool are a bonus!!

Looking for any suggestions, I think I have our location narowwed down to Mission Bay...
Plan day trips to Sea World and the zoo.
Thanks.

We stayed at the Hyatt Mission Beach. Cool pool with water slides for kids, within walking distance of Sea World and short drive to beach.

clutter 02-20-2013 02:22 PM

We stayed at the Best Western Blue Sea this past summer. A bit dated, but good beds, mini kitchen. We loved it.

That said, down below Grand Avenue, in a shopping center along the beach, is a restaurant called The Eggery. It was SO good.

SA mom 02-20-2013 06:27 PM

We stayed at the Grand Colonial last summer. They had a 3rd night free promotion. It was gorgeous and within walking distance to the Children's Pool, La Jolla Cove, Sunny Jim Cave, and a gazillion awesome restaurants. The swimming pool was a little small, but our kids had a great time there, even though it was rather cool in June.

It is a small hotel and the staff could not have been more hospitable. We had my 81 year old mother with us and the valets offered to pick her up by the sea side in their gold cart so she wouldn't have to walk back up the steep hill. They were super kind to our kids as well.

evoli 02-20-2013 07:07 PM

Renting SUV is good, we went to Bay Club Hotel & Marina and it is nice to stay there.

julm26 02-20-2013 08:44 PM

We are staying 2 nights in La Jolla - I chose the La Jolla Cove Suites. I found out it was on Hotel Impossible after I booked it. They were just underusing their outside area and had dated rooms. Gets mixed reviews, but Hotel Impossible went back and it looked good.

Decided to stay there anyway. Has awesome views and I got the rooms for under $135.00 a night.