The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gift Cards at Restaurants? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3048850)

Wendy31 01-16-2013 06:02 PM

Gift Cards at Restaurants?

For the 1st time since the dining plan began in 2005, DH & I are considering not purchasing the dining plan for our next trip (September).

The real draw for us is that, w/ the dining plan, everything is prepaid & we don't have to worry about dining costs during our vacation.

However, since 2 of our kids are now "Disney adults" & we always have OOP costs (drinks, tips, etc.) anyway, we're thinking there really isn't a financial advantage for us any longer w/ the dining plan.

So, we're thinking of getting a Disney gift card or a VISA gift card for our dining costs.

My questions --

Do the restaurants (quick-service & table-service) accept gift cards - Disney or VISA?

Can we use the gift card for tips too?

Do the various snack & drink kiosks accept gift cards?

Thanks so much!!

DisneyMom2Boyz 01-16-2013 06:40 PM

We will be using a Disney Gift card for our trip in April instead of the dining plan. It doesn't work for us with my oldest child now being a Disney adult. I was told you can use a Disney Gift card or visa. However, if you use a Disney gift card it will rint your current balance after every transaction. I haven't had a problem at any qs or carts but was told there are a very few carts that don't except it. But I figure if that happens I will just use cash or visa at that place. You can get a Disney gift card from the Disney store that lads up to $1500. Or you put a dollar figure per day/ and have an allwed amount or budget for the day. I know the dining pan would cost us $187 per day so I'm going to try planning $175 a day for a qs, ts, and tip...maybe a snack? I don't think it will be a huge savings for us out of pocket but this way my disney adult can order a child meal were he wants and an adult when he wants. Also the balance can be used for souviners or saved for another trip. Hope this helps.:)

AlohaAnnie 01-16-2013 06:48 PM

We are not getting the dining plan our next trip either.

Instead we are using Disney Gift Cards & Cash.

If you have a local target, you can buy Disney Gift Cards here & get 5% off with your red card. I know some are getting 10% off for transferring prescriptions and using the Target Red Card. We have the one that comes out of your checking account and is not a credit card.

We plan to charge meals to our room & every two days we plan to settle up at the resort front desk with our gift cards.

I have numbered our gift cards from 1-to however many you have with a sharpie marker. It is a bit of work but it saves money.

Good Luck!

AlohaAnnie 01-16-2013 06:49 PM

Gift cards are sold in $50 increments at Target

HeyMickeyUSoFine 01-19-2013 01:29 AM

I've used the gift cards for meals and the tips. Wal-Greens sells them with the ability to place any amount on them....i think up to $500.

pumba 01-19-2013 07:41 AM

we too have used Disney Gift Cards thru the parks and restaurants..enjoyed just having these little babies in our wallets..
we used them at the resort for our meals, gifts at the stores...we would take one or two with us when we left in the morning and had a great day..
Our granddaughter and her fiance got us some for our upcoming trip and we all laughed because we got them some too..
It makes a great gift for someone that is going to the House of the Mouse to

seus-mouse 01-20-2013 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about gift card use:)

pixiedust: