The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Possible option to skip the check-in desk? (RFID MagicBands) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3048330)

nightshaderose 01-15-2013 08:39 PM

Possible option to skip the check-in desk? (RFID MagicBands)
 
(Mods: Apologies and feel free to move if y'all feel like this belongs more on a different board)

This is the first paragraph of terms/conditions of online check-in through My Magic + (new main Disney page) as of yesterday.

Quote:

I understand the Online Check-In Service is a convenience to Guests at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and the check-in process will become complete in Florida upon showing my photo identification, and receipt of a Key to the World card or by entering my room utilizing my authorized MagicBand.
Looks like there may be an option to skip the check-in desk completely if you've already given all your info. Just get notified of your room number when ready (via text/app/whatever), and go on in.

The terms for online Check-in via the DVC website did NOT include the line about MagicBands as of this morning.

Sue M 01-15-2013 08:55 PM

I don't see how you can skip the desk, you have to physically show your photo ID, and you need to have either a KTTW card or Magic Band to get into your room. Just having a room # won't get you access, you need some sort of key. :confused3

pigletto 01-15-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue M (Post 47203778)
I don't see how you can skip the desk, you have to physically show your photo ID, and you need to have either a KTTW card or Magic Band to get into your room. Just having a room # won't get you access, you need some sort of key. :confused3

But it isn't saying that the way I am reading it. It is saying show your i.d. and get your KTTW card OR use your band to enter your room. Interesting.

I suppose they could be mailed out to you and activated when your room is ready if you provided all of your info during Online check in?
One more mystery:rolleyes1

ETA) And to continue the wild speculation.. if they mailed them to you, what if you just had to activate them somehow when you got there in the lobby? It seems like a strange idea, but they've recently changed the online check in process to 60 days out instead of 10. Why the extra time? Perhaps to make sure they get to people on time etc?

bcrook 01-15-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigletto (Post 47204063)
But it isn't saying that the way I am reading it. It is saying show your i.d. and get your KTTW card OR use your band to enter your room. Interesting.

I suppose they could be mailed out to you and activated when your room is ready if you provided all of your info during Online check in?
One more mystery:rolleyes1

ETA) And to continue the wild speculation.. if they mailed them to you, what if you just had to activate them somehow when you got there in the lobby? It seems like a strange idea, but they've recently changed the online check in process to 60 days out instead of 10. Why the extra time? Perhaps to make sure they get to people on time etc?

The plot thickens. I can't wrap my mind around this.

TruBlu 01-15-2013 10:39 PM

I read it as saying you'll get your card or band when you show your I.D.

No way to get around showing identification. Identity fraud would run rampant.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

nightshaderose 01-16-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruBlu (Post 47204626)

No way to get around showing identification. Identity fraud would run rampant.

That depends. You'll have a PIN associated with your MagicBand in the same way you have a PIN associated with your debit card. In theory, your PIN is your ID. So, if you activate (or re-activate if it's from a previous trip) your Band at a kiosk in the hotel lobby or at a park gate with your PIN, then it knows it's you and frees all your current tickets/entitlements/etc. for use.

The more I think about this, the more I suspect that it will be for returning guests who already have a MagicBand.

Allison 01-16-2013 06:37 AM

That is not how I read it.

I read it as check in is complete by:

1) showing identification at desk

And

2) receiving key to the world card or entering with RFID band depending on which you have.

CanadianGuy 01-16-2013 07:17 AM

I'm with you OP, I could an option where the RFID devices (Key Card, MagicBand, Lanyard whatever) could be mailed or expressed to the customer with their Magical Express materials or pre-arrival packet and then for example, you might just wave your device at a Kiosk in the lobby, configure your PIN and away you go.

Another option would be to configure the PIN via the My Disney Experience website or app thus skipping the kiosk all together! There are details to be worked out but I could definitely see this working this way at some point.

Mommy2TwoMickeys 01-16-2013 08:06 AM

Wasn't that the whole point when the NextGen info first came out :confused3 I am pretty sure that I read somewhere about you receiving your bands in the mail so if you were to arrive in Disney before check-in time (3pm), you could technically go right to a park instead of still going to the resort to get your park tix( if you wanted). Also, NextGen is all about making/getting the most our of your vacation and that was a top point about being able to start your vacation the second you arrive on Disney Property, I am all for it~~ :banana:

BeccaG 01-16-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightshaderose
(Mods: Apologies and feel free to move if y'all feel like this belongs more on a different board)

This is the first paragraph of terms/conditions of online check-in through My Magic + (new main Disney page) as of yesterday.

Looks like there may be an option to skip the check-in desk completely if you've already given all your info. Just get notified of your room number when ready (via text/app/whatever), and go on in.

The terms for online Check-in via the DVC website did NOT include the line about MagicBands as of this morning.

I totally see this as a possibility of where they are going! How soon and when they roll it out will depend on many factors, one of which is public reaction.

cajunprincess 01-16-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison (Post 47205709)
That is not how I read it.

I read it as check in is complete by:

1) showing identification at desk

And

2) receiving key to the world card or entering with RFID band depending on which you have.

This is how I understood it too. I think it may be a while before we can just skip going to the front desk at all. I wonder if the wording for the 2nd part is because they will send you your RFID band ahead of time, but maybe you have to show your ID before it's activated?

Whatever it may be, this is actually getting me somewhat excited about these bands. Before, I could care less one way or the other. :blush:

brucerob62 01-16-2013 10:31 AM

wont need to show id either..activate with pin number that i have given online when i did check in..they could mail the band and activate on day of arrival using pin and probably verifying cc info at a kiosk or something like that..would eliminate check in line..now just lines at the kiosks that maybe worse, who knows what will happen ..speculation till actual rollout..im going march so i wont have to worry about it till next year probably.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.