The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fixed price menu - worth it with 10-year-old? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3047147)

UsualNoise 01-13-2013 11:05 PM

Fixed price menu - worth it with 10-year-old?
 
I've been trying to nail down my last couple restaurant reservations and I'm considering Ohana. However, my 10-year-old (as of a few weeks ago) daughter eats AT MOST half a bowl of mac-and-cheese at the Disney restaurants. Basically, I'm wondering if paying $30+ for that half bowl of mac-and-cheese for her is worth the adults eating there. I'm leaning towards no, but I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise.

If it matters, I'm paying out of pocket (no dining plan) but I'm guessing that doesn't affect the price you get charged.

sharonabe 01-13-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsualNoise (Post 47182670)
I've been trying to nail down my last couple restaurant reservations and I'm considering Ohana. However, my 10-year-old (as of a few weeks ago) daughter eats AT MOST half a bowl of mac-and-cheese at the Disney restaurants. Basically, I'm wondering if paying $30+ for that half bowl of mac-and-cheese for her is worth the adults eating there. I'm leaning towards no, but I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise.

If it matters, I'm paying out of pocket (no dining plan) but I'm guessing that doesn't affect the price you get charged.

Is mac n cheese the only thing she eats? The meats at Ohana are really good, so if she eats steak or grilled chicken, she will probably eat these. I have a picky eater, but he loves meat as long as it's not sauced or gravied in any way. He LOVED Ohana. They will also bring kid friendly fare to your table if you ask; not sure what that is, though.

~Tonga Wingo~ 01-13-2013 11:35 PM

My nephew was able to get chicken strips and mac and cheese in June.

TDC Nala 01-13-2013 11:49 PM

They will bring Mac and cheese or chicken strips, but without a reduction in price.

UsualNoise 01-13-2013 11:52 PM

Yeah, I should have been clearer - the food isn't the issue. The amount for the price is. Regardless of what the food is, my daughter will eat the equivalent, volume-wise, of half-a-bowl of mac and cheese. So ... is it worth the $30+ for that?

Or, put another way, will the ultimate price tag of ~$100+ be worth it for essentially two adult meals?

Hopefully 01-14-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsualNoise (Post 47182998)
Yeah, I should have been clearer - the food isn't the issue. The amount for the price is. Regardless of what the food is, my daughter will eat the equivalent, volume-wise, of half-a-bowl of mac and cheese. So ... is it worth the $30+ for that?

Or, put another way, will the ultimate price tag of ~$100+ be worth it for essentially two adult meals?

Unfortunately, only you can answer that. "Worth" is a totally subjective assessment.
'OHana is extremely popular, for a reason. It is a great atmosphere and lots of fun for families and young children. They have entertainment like coconut races and hula dancing and singing etc. for the kids. It has a beautiful view over the lagoon to the Magic Kingdom and the Castle. If you time it right, you can see Wishes fireworks.
The food is very good and plentiful. It is all you care to eat, and the adults would enjoy that.
You need to decide if, not only the amount of food your daughter would eat, but the entertainment, the atmosphere, the view etc all add up in your opinion to a special evening.
Good Luck

davedmaine 01-14-2013 08:16 AM

I guess it's up to you. If you really want to eat at Ohana (and you should) and cost isn't an issue, then go for it.

IncredibleboysMom 01-14-2013 08:19 AM

My answer would be no. We eat at places like O'Hana when we have the dining plan. On other trips, we try to eat at places that you order from the menu so DS 13 and I can share some things, or he can order kids meal. I like O'Hana, just not THAT much.

smiths02 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

I really loved Ohana both times we went-it was the best meal of our trips (2009 and 2011) [although reports are that it has declined] That being said, no I would not pay $100 for essentially two adults to eat there. It is not worth that. The experience is not worth it to me. [You may be able to go to Kona and ask for the bread pudding-it has happened before. At the very least, you could experience some of the same flavor profiles at Kona]

TDC Nala 01-14-2013 08:39 AM

You'll have that issue at any fixed-price meal. Only you can decide if the atmosphere/food is of enough value to the adults to pay the adult price for a child who won't eat much.

Are you looking for reviews of the meal? There are plenty on the boards but they vary a lot. Some love it and others say it's the worst place they've ever eaten.

robinb 01-14-2013 08:46 AM

I couldn't being myself to pay that much for my DD to eat a bowl of mac n cheese. The experience of 'Ohana - or any other fixed price meal for that matter - was just not worth it to me. We stopped going to the buffets and other fixed price restaurants once my DD turned 10. Last month's trip was the first time that my now 13-year old ate all adult meals at table service restaurants (whoops, I just remembered she ate off the kids menu at Yak & Yeti). She ate off the kids menu on previous trips.

UsualNoise 01-14-2013 12:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm probably going to skip Ohana on this trip - I'll be trying out Kona Cafe instead as I've heard almost all good things about it.

The only way I would have done Ohana with a fixed price menu is if we got a table during the fireworks at MK ... but there were none available. Not a huge loss, as we did California Grill and got to see the show from the top of the CR last time.

robinb 01-14-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsualNoise (Post 47186419)
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm probably going to skip Ohana on this trip - I'll be trying out Kona Cafe instead as I've heard almost all good things about it.

The only way I would have done Ohana with a fixed price menu is if we got a table during the fireworks at MK ... but there were none available. Not a huge loss, as we did California Grill and got to see the show from the top of the CR last time.

Make your Kona reservation so you can finish in time to watch the fireworks from the Polynesian's beach :thumbsup2.

Kimosabe 01-14-2013 03:55 PM

We are dealing with this regularly now, as we have DD10 who is the same size as DD8. DD10 is quite petite for her age, so quite often, a waiter will give her a kid's menu if she wants it, even if we "confess" that she is 10.

As for Ohana, that is one of my favorites on property...but not so much for the rest of my family (DW, DD10 and DD8). Ate there in 2012 for the first time, and you could argue that the kids' activities are included in the price (like the show in the Luau, at Hoop De Doo, etc.), but DD10 was not particularly interested in the activities at Ohana anyway, as they tend to focus on the younger kids (or so she convinced herself).

We just ran across a similar pricing problem with trying to book the Luau at the Poly. Because of DD10's age, we would have had to pay almost $80 for her. I realize that a nice chunk of that includes the show, too, but the main problem we had with this is that the adult price includes unlimited beer and wine, and obviously a 10-year old isn't drinking any of that....but that doesn't matter. I think the 10-year-olds-are-adults-at-WDW rule is crazy anyway, but especially when alcohol is included in the adult pricing. I can appreciate that they have to set an age at some point, so if I want to eat at WDW, we just accept the rule and plan carefully on restaurants.

dvcterry 01-14-2013 04:05 PM

Even if you pay out of pocket, you will be charged the correct pp rate for the prix fix meal. The servers have, from what I found, have been very accommodating in offering something from a child portion here or there or bread; however, you pay. If you see that it is a restaurant and offering that you would want to try, then go for it; otherwise don't try to justify the cost. We had gone to a restaurant with a larger group and the server did the amount of children and commented that we were charged all adults and the children did not eat. The menu changed from what I saw online, and this, too is subject to change, but I said there's not much that can be done-we prepaid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.