The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Inauguration (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046717)

georgiasmom 01-13-2013 10:19 AM

Inauguration

I am sailing on the Dream one week from today. Was anyone cruising during the last Presidential Inauguration? Do they play it somewhere on the ship?

A

TDC Nala 01-13-2013 10:28 AM

I am on that cruise too. Only I'm from DC and I'm going to get away from the inauguration.

The inauguration will take place on Monday the 21st which is a port day (Nassau.) I don't know if they'll show it on the funnel vision or not. You may be able to see it in the pub on Deck 4 which has multiple televisions. It will almost certainly be available on your stateroom TV, they get CNN and other news channels.

If you don't have children with you, there is a TV in the Cove Cafe (adults only) that is usually tuned to a news channel. Because we'll be in port, I don't know if the satellite signal may be more stable.

georgiasmom 01-13-2013 11:15 AM

Thanks! We are planning to stay on the boat that day. Sounds like we should be able to find it somewhere!

A

kcashner 01-13-2013 11:52 AM

You'll at least see clips on stateroom TV. I really wouldn't expect it on the Dumbotron (funnel vision). They rarely show very popular sporting events, but otherwise, that venue is Disney movies and animated short features. Frankly, I would not be pleased if I stayed on the ship to enjoy the pool and found the US news that I was on vacation to get away from playing on the big screen.

NCConch 01-13-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcashner
Frankly, I would not be pleased if I stayed on the ship to enjoy the pool and found the US news that I was on vacation to get away from playing on the big screen.

When I board the ship I plan to be in a self imposed media blackout. No news, no Internet, no outside world. Since I was a kid, Disney always had an other worldly effect on me. For me this is all about escapism.

tvguy 01-13-2013 12:51 PM

Disney owns ABC.

The ships have ABC (if the satellite is working)

ABC plans coverage from 10 am to 3 pm (I work at an ABC affiliate).

I would say odds are, at the very least, you'll be able to see it in your stateroom. What they decided to put on the big screen, I don't know. And since the bars are closed while the ship is in port, I'm not sure they will be an option.

georgiasmom 01-13-2013 01:18 PM

TVGUY thanks for the info. Knowing the broadcast window I can at the very least set up my TIVO before we go

allears 01-13-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 47176093)
Disney owns ABC.

The ships have ABC (if the satellite is working)

ABC plans coverage from 10 am to 3 pm (I work at an ABC affiliate).

I would say odds are, at the very least, you'll be able to see it in your stateroom. What they decided to put on the big screen, I don't know. And since the bars are closed while the ship is in port, I'm not sure they will be an option.

The bars aren't closed when the ships are in port. However, some of the venues aern't in use. The "pubs" are pretty much always open.

kcashner 01-13-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 47176093)

The bars are not closed while the ships are in port. Some of them have reduced hours and some are used as meeting points for excursions, but you can purchase all the alcoholic beverages you wish...and the physical locations are open for TV, games, etc.

jlynch924 01-13-2013 03:56 PM

The stateroom tvs have news, too. Our trip over NYE had plenty of coverage of the fiscal cliff hoopla, if you so desired.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

MDTerp 01-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala
I am on that cruise too. Only I'm from DC and I'm going to get away from the inauguration.

I know exactly what you mean. I work in DC as a Fed and we were in WDW last inauguration. This year we are heading to Puerto Rico b/c we couldn't make a Fantasy trip that stops there and I really want to check it out!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

darkwing818 01-13-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCConch (Post 47175599)
When I board the ship I plan to be in a self imposed media blackout. No news, no Internet, no outside world. Since I was a kid, Disney always had an other worldly effect on me. For me this is all about escapism.

This is the ONLY way to Cruise...:dance3::dance3:

lbgraves 01-13-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcashner (Post 47175518)
Frankly, I would not be pleased if I stayed on the ship to enjoy the pool and found the US news that I was on vacation to get away from playing on the big screen.

I would certainly hope it wasn't on the Dumbotron. We go on vacation to get away!

kriswin1 01-13-2013 06:49 PM

glad to know this so i can be sure to stay away from all tvs that day.

TDC Nala 01-13-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDTerp (Post 47178573)
I know exactly what you mean. I work in DC as a Fed and we were in WDW last inauguration. This year we are heading to Puerto Rico b/c we couldn't make a Fantasy trip that stops there and I really want to check it out!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last inauguration, I was in New Zealand.