The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The College Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   DCP California vs Florida? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046592)

SkyinNeverland 01-12-2013 11:56 PM

DCP California vs Florida?

I've been reading a lot about the Disney College program and can't wait to apply ( I have to wait because I don't start college until this spring). I have only been to Disneyland, and read a lot about it. What are the pros and cons to California and Florida? The whole thing is kinda confusing so any tips and advice would be good too!
Oh! And if anyone knows the positions you can apply for that would be very helpful. I only know there is ride operations, merchandise, and bibbidi bobbidi boutique.

NHSchool2012 01-13-2013 12:50 AM

well i'm pretty sure that in california you have to have your own transportation or use public transportation; florida offers bus service so cp kids don't have to have a car if they can't bring one.

SkyinNeverland 01-13-2013 01:02 AM

Ohh thank you, that is good to know! I have a car but don't think I want to drive it down there.

Wishes Count 01-13-2013 09:37 AM

I have only done the program at WDW, but I know that DL is a much smaller program, meaning they accept less participants. If you have never been to WDW this is a great opportunity to explore all 4 parks and resorts in FL for free! Also like someone said above you do not need a car at WDW as they have buses from the housing to parks and walmart for free. (however they take forever so if you have a car I would strongly suggest bringing it)

The roles are probably generally the same, but some might not be offered at Disneyland. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Merchandise
Attractions
BBB
Hospitality (Front Desk)
Concierge
Quick Service Food & Beverage
Full Service Food and & Beverage (Hostess, not serving)
Character Performer (Need to audition)
Character Attendant
Transportation
Main Entrance Operations
Vacation Planner (they sell tickets)
Lifeguarding
Recreation
Housekeeping
Custodial
Costuming

I think that was all of them! If you have questions about what each one might do I can try to answer them.

Also in FL there are housing events for the CP's, things like "grocery bingo" welcome parties, block parties, organized trips to the beach. Each complex also has a pool and small gym. There is a learning center where you can use computers and one complex has a sort of library you can visit to check out books and dvds. I don't know about DL but at WDW you can take classes, which may or may not count for credit at your school. I took mine just for fun!

Wishes Count 01-13-2013 12:29 PM

Also I just saw on the College Program website that the DL fee is $860 at the time you accept vs. $300 for WDW. This is mainly due to the fact that you need to pay your 1st month's housing upfront for DL. :worried:

SkyinNeverland 01-13-2013 03:27 PM

Oh wow thank you! That was extremely helpful! Where did you work? Also what is BBB and what do they do in costuming? WDW is starting to sound better and better.

Wishes Count 01-13-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyinNeverland (Post 47177688)
Oh wow thank you! That was extremely helpful! Where did you work? Also what is BBB and what do they do in costuming? WDW is starting to sound better and better.

BBB = Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Costuming is mostly behind the scenes role with little to no guest interaction. You would mainly work at one of the costuming locations, checking in and out costumes to other cast members, and I would assume organizing the costumes, putting them where they belong etc. Some people in costuming work with entertainment and help them get ready for shows and parades but I don't know if CP gets those roles.

I did Hospitality at Pop Century and Merchandise at Epcot. There is a link to my blog in my signature below, I wrote about my CPs. You can look back at previous posts by using the navigation in the side bar.

SkyinNeverland 01-18-2013 07:51 PM

Thanks, I checked out your blog! this has all been very helpful in making my choice on where to go. If anyone wants to post their experiences from where they worked at the park that would be awesome :) I change my mind every day where I should work haha