The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Express Pass what? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046290)

KapBoy77 01-12-2013 01:42 PM

Express Pass what?

So after reading one of Josh's blogs about Universal he explained that if you purchase their Express Pass it is only good for one go around per ride? Unless you stay at one of their resorts you get an unlimited pass.

Am I alone here thinking that this is a rip off??!?? Seriously reconsidering getting express passes now. Maybe I'm not getting the logic?

RMulieri 01-12-2013 01:54 PM

I am not sure why it is a rip off.I guess if you are used to Disneys fast pass it seems that way.But Universal is different.Unlimited express is a perk offered to those staying at the onsite resorts..It can also be purchased for a premium price.There is no free version of it to non resort guests.It is designed this way to keep wait times minimal in the express pass lines.There aren't unlimited express passes sold either, they do sell out but usually only in the peak times( like Christmas week).When are you going? Many of us do not recommend buying it unless you are going at one of the peak times and even then it is best to wait and see if they are needed first since they are DATE SPECIFIC, PARK SPECIFIC and nonrefundable.

aprilfoolwed 01-12-2013 02:03 PM

I would never buy EP. However, after just returning from USO, I would seriously consider staying onsite to be able to take advantage of the EP. Some lines got long - even with the parks not being crowded. We could have done a lot more if we'd had EP.

But I agree, buying it is not worth it - especially since you can only use it once!

schumigirl 01-12-2013 02:47 PM

Sorry I only think something is a rip off if it is not clear what you are purchasing.

It clearly states what it is.

I do know people who have purchased them and were happy to do so. It filled their need, therefore worth it to them.

But you do have another option of staying onsite for unlimited Express Pass. It is a fantastic perk of staying onsite. If you stay one night you get 2 full days of Express Pass.

And all 3 hotels are beautiful. Win-Win all round :thumbsup2

damo 01-12-2013 02:52 PM

If you do the headliners in the morning when you don't need your express pass, you can do them again in the afternoon with the express pass. Or, you can just do the less busy rides in the afternoon.

You can purchase an unlimited express pass also, it is just a lot more expensive.

With express pass, you can ride whatever, whenever. You don't have to come back at a certain time and plan your day around the times of the pass. You can just wander through the parks, using the pass as you get to a ride.

THere are a few rides that don't accept express passes of any kind. Those rides are Forbidden Journey, Pteranadon Flyers, Rip Ride Rockit and the Ollivanders show.

The express pass isn't a rip off. You have to remember that there are many hotels within walking distance of the parks. If the unlimited express pass wasn't a perk for onsite people, there would be no reason for people to stay onsite.

There used to be free express passes offered like fastpasses. However, they ran out so early in the morning, that it just created a lot of frustrated people. They really had to limit these to keep the express pass lines down for those who were staying onsite.

DorianDonP 01-12-2013 03:43 PM

When are you going to Universal, OP? You may not even need express.

KapBoy77 01-12-2013 03:59 PM

We are going sometime the first two weeks of December.

damo 01-12-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapBoy77 (Post 47168526)
We are going sometime the first two weeks of December.

You won't be needing any express passes at that time. It is slower than slow then.

Metro West 01-12-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damo (Post 47168553)
You won't be needing any express passes at that time. It is slower than slow then.

::yes::

KapBoy77 01-12-2013 04:17 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we will skip the express passes. I appreciate the answers. :)

Metro West 01-12-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapBoy77 (Post 47168696)
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we will skip the express passes. I appreciate the answers. :)

Just remember...you should never purchase EPs ahead of time until you've seen the actual lines. Sometimes its a complete waste of money but sometimes it will help out a lot.

macraven 01-12-2013 07:18 PM

do what Metro West suggested.

the EP's are non refundable, date related and park related.

if you find out you won't need them, you still have them to use......

buy them the day you are in the park if they are needed.

AJ1983 01-13-2013 02:04 PM

Question: Do you think we would need Express Pass if we are visiting on weekdays in early May?

Metro West 01-13-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ1983 (Post 47176796)
Question: Do you think we would need Express Pass if we are visiting on weekdays in early May?

No...that's not a busy time.

macraven 01-13-2013 03:28 PM

in the month of May, some schools do field trips to UO on fridays.