The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rain ponchos for adults and kids.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3045096)

autismgoesdisney 01-10-2013 11:17 AM

Rain ponchos for adults and kids....

We are done with the cheap $1 ponchos! They are constantly ripping and truly just don't work out. Since we go the end of August, there are normally a few days we have them on (sometimes just for an hour but still).....so we are looking to purchase some sturdier ponchos ... any suggestions on which ones are sturdy and we can reuse each year/trip!

Jkpark 01-10-2013 11:20 AM

I have bought adult and youth ponchos at Walgreens and Michaels. They were maybe $5-$7 I think and have lasted for many trips.

Sandi 01-10-2013 11:31 AM

I bought them at WDW and we use them at home and on our WDW trips. I think they are a good value. I miss the park specific ones though. I fold them up neatly and put them in ziplock bags, squish out all the air, and they store/pack nicely.

Herfnerd 01-10-2013 11:33 AM

Sierra Designs makes good ponchos - have used them backpacking.

Heard good things about Stormtech ponchos - a little cheaper than the SD - can find those for around $18-$20......

DRDISNEYMD 01-10-2013 11:35 AM

~Disney's ponchos are nice! They can last for years, but I always toss em after each trip. Also, there was one year when Disney's ponchos kept tearing on us -- I think it was 2008. And, each time Disney replaced them! Have fun! :goodvibes

autismgoesdisney 01-10-2013 11:40 AM

:hyper:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD (Post 47145619)
~Disney's ponchos are nice! They can last for years, but I always toss em after each trip. Also, there was one year when Disney's ponchos kept tearing on us -- I think it was 2008. And, each time Disney replaced them! Have fun! :goodvibes

I read somewhere that they do return ripped ones. I'm guessing not every year though :hyper:

Herfnerd 01-10-2013 11:42 AM

Had bought some ponchos at Disney back in the 90's - the yellow ones. They lasted us a good 8-9 years before we had to toss 'em....

LeeLee'sMom 01-10-2013 11:46 AM

We go at the end of every August and we use the WDW ones. They have lasted 5years so far. They do exchange them if they rip:thumbsup2

MomToPirate&Princess 01-10-2013 12:44 PM

Our experience being 'done' with cheap ponchos.

We were also 'done' with the cheap $1 ponchos that are hard to put on, clingy, and tear easily.

We found nice ponchos for our last trip at Walmart. They were stronger heavier duty plastic and we had no problem with tears. Being heavier, they went on better, hung better and were more comfortable, but did get a bit hot.

Our problem with the sturdier ponchos was when it wasn't raining. We had 4 pretty bulky ponchos to try to fold up and store for the rest of the day. We tried folding them as tight as we could and keep them in zip loc bags so the rest of the bag wouldn't get wet. That worked to keep the bag dry, but the ponchos took up a lot of space. We then had to try to remember to hang them up to dry when we got back to the room and refold for the next day. We are commando and try to pack as light as possible in only one small backpack.

After trying both types, we are going back to the cheap ponchos. We buy enough for each person to have one per day of the trip plus a couple spares and don't save them. One and done and they go in the trash. No folding, hanging to dry or taking up space in my bag.

Our thinking is that the convenience and compactness of the cheap ponchos is going to win out over the weight and bulk of the nicer ones.

KapBoy77 01-10-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomToPirate&Princess
We were also 'done' with the cheap $1 ponchos that are hard to put on, clingy, and tear easily.

Yeah when I went to put on my cheap poncho it ripped apart like I was Hulk Hogan ripping his shirt off lol

It was however useful to sit on. :)

GBBTomorrow 01-10-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomToPirate&Princess (Post 47146430)

We found nice ponchos for our last trip at Walmart. They were stronger heavier duty plastic and we had no problem with tears. Being heavier, they went on better, hung better and were more comfortable, but did get a bit hot.

Our problem with the sturdier ponchos was when it wasn't raining. We had 4 pretty bulky ponchos to try to fold up and store for the rest of the day. We tried folding them as tight as we could and keep them in zip loc bags so the rest of the bag wouldn't get wet. That worked to keep the bag dry, but the ponchos took up a lot of space. We then had to try to remember to hang them up to dry when we got back to the room and refold for the next day. We are commando and try to pack as light as possible in only one small backpack.

After trying both types, we are going back to the cheap ponchos. We buy enough for each person to have one per day of the trip plus a couple spares and don't save them. One and done and they go in the trash. No folding, hanging to dry or taking up space in my bag.

Our thinking is that the convenience and compactness of the cheap ponchos is going to win out over the weight and bulk of the nicer ones.

I agree with this. While I am cheap enough that I still hang them up to dry if we wear them back to the room, if it stops raining while we are still out, I've been known to pitch them. The solution we've found with the cheap ponchos is baseball hats: if you put on a hat over the hood of the poncho, your head stays dry, the rain is out of your eyes, and the hood stays in the right place. We did this for days on end during Tropical Storm Debby last summer, and it worked out great.

jcopp11 01-10-2013 12:58 PM

Frogg Toggs...light..packable..breathable..and can get the lower model poncho for about $20...

katt789 01-10-2013 01:03 PM

I'm honestly a fan of the Disney ponchos! They may be a little pricier, but you can find them in pretty much any gift shop, and ask for a little bag to put it into when you're done with it (so the inside of your bag doesn't get wet) and they roll up small enough to shove into a bag.

They're really sturdy and lasted us a couple of days (probably would have lasted longer if we hadn't been at a halloween party with wings on...)

dadddio 01-10-2013 01:15 PM

We're cheapo dollar poncho people, but we also consider them to be totally disposable. We pack enough for each of us to have one for each park day. Each morning, we enough for each of us to have one. If it rains, we throw them on. Once it stops, we throw them away.

stindall 01-10-2013 01:18 PM

I would suspect that you'll probably find some decent ones in any camping section of a store. I have a Disney one because on our last trip my Dollar Tree one ripped right after I put it on!