The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Going with my Mom who had knee surgery a few months ago (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3044803)

BensWife 01-09-2013 09:22 PM

Going with my Mom who had knee surgery a few months ago
 
We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?

mesaboy2 01-09-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensWife
We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?

Anyone can use a wheelchair, I think what you're asking about is a Guest Assistance Card. I recommend the disabilities forum below for further info.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

tinx35124 01-09-2013 09:31 PM

We took my MIL in Sept. Both knees replaced plus she turned 79 so it was her birthday present. Don't need anything to prove she needs a wheelchair. She will be able to go thru most cue lines in the chair as they are a designed for that now. Only the older attractions like Peter Pan will y'all be escorted through the exits to load. Wonderful trip. Hope y'all enjoy yourselves:thumbsup2

atisikitabasket 01-09-2013 10:02 PM

My mom decided 2 weeks before our trip that she was going to get a partial knee replacement. Her Dr suggested it a long time before our trip and she talked to him 2 weeks before and he said "hey I have an opening tomorrow" she of course said ok - she reassured me that he told her " you'll be out doing gardening in a couple day" I told her that is a little different then 8 days at DW but this was her first full stay there usually she has only gone 1 or 2 days. Anyway I called and had a scooter for her because I priced them and it was cheaper getting it off site then at the parks. She had a great time she was able to walk and stuff when she wanted but if she got sore or tired she had the scooter. Now her driving skills another story she went to get off of it at the Grand Floridian and thought she had it off but instead had the throttle all the way up and she hit the throttle and almost ran over DH getting DD out of the stroller and ran into a picket fence and almost knocked it over. :rotfl2: Man good times we still pick on her about that!!!! I have to tell you the funniest was at the CR in the main elevators we were going to the lobby and she had to reverse out and there was a huge crowd trying to get on our DS8 was behind her by the door when it opened he yelled "Go Mama" as soon as she went to reverse out he jumped behind her to get out of the door first and she hit him she was not happy and DS was lodged up between the door and her scooter and she said "get out of my way" and DS yelled "I can't mama your on my foot!" :lmao: We will never let her forget that one. Have a great trip I am sure she will be fine but I suggest a scooter

minnie mum 01-10-2013 12:23 AM

Um, I think that if your mama has the skills of the PPs mama, you'd be wise to stick with the wheelchair. If she is up and walking with only a cane now, she may be totally fine by June. Especially if she keeps gradually increasing her walking each week to rebuild her muscles and endurance (malls are great for this in the winter by the way).

Chairs can be rented near the entrance to every park. And she may not need it all the time- she may prefer to walk frequently to prevent stiffening.

The disAbilities board has a sticky with just about everything you could possibly want to know about wheelchairs, ECVs and touring the parks in them. Here's a link: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

rock_doctor 01-10-2013 08:33 AM

I would rent her a scooter for the trip. The average person walks 5 to 13 miles a day at WDW and while a wheel chair is easier to deal with in heavy crowds, pushing somebody the whole day through the parks is a major chore. The parks are not level and even a pusher in good shape will be wiped out by the end of the day.

BensWife 01-10-2013 08:33 AM

Thanks so much! I didn't think of looking for info on the disabilities forum. I guess I didn't really think of her as having disabilities. There are so many people who really need assistance, but for her, I think maybe a scooter or wheelchair would be enough. Thanks again!

thepoohguy 01-10-2013 09:58 AM

As everyone has said, you don't need a doctor's note.

My wife is not 40 and has major knee issues. There is no way she can walk the parks. I'm sure people think that we are "abusing" the system because we are so young, but trust me, she has already had 3 knee surgeries, and are awaiting insurance approval for another.

The one thing I will say if you get a regular wheelchair is buy all the days up front. You get a multiday discount when purchasing upfront.

Also, when going to the MK, there is a gift shop at the TTC. Make sure you rent the wheelchair from there. If not, the person will have to walk from the Monorail, or boat launch to the wheelchair rental at the MK. THIS IS HUGE if they have a hard time walking inclines or declines. Coming from the monorail is a pretty steep walk.

Also, keep your receipt because paying at one park means you get the chair at all parks that day. If you hop, you don't have to pay a second time!

North of Mouse 01-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atisikitabasket (Post 47140412)
My mom decided 2 weeks before our trip that she was going to get a partial knee replacement. Her Dr suggested it a long time before our trip and she talked to him 2 weeks before and he said "hey I have an opening tomorrow" she of course said ok - she reassured me that he told her " you'll be out doing gardening in a couple day" I told her that is a little different then 8 days at DW but this was her first full stay there usually she has only gone 1 or 2 days. Anyway I called and had a scooter for her because I priced them and it was cheaper getting it off site then at the parks. She had a great time she was able to walk and stuff when she wanted but if she got sore or tired she had the scooter. Now her driving skills another story she went to get off of it at the Grand Floridian and thought she had it off but instead had the throttle all the way up and she hit the throttle and almost ran over DH getting DD out of the stroller and ran into a picket fence and almost knocked it over. :rotfl2: Man good times we still pick on her about that!!!! I have to tell you the funniest was at the CR in the main elevators we were going to the lobby and she had to reverse out and there was a huge crowd trying to get on our DS8 was behind her by the door when it opened he yelled "Go Mama" as soon as she went to reverse out he jumped behind her to get out of the door first and she hit him she was not happy and DS was lodged up between the door and her scooter and she said "get out of my way" and DS yelled "I can't mama your on my foot!" :lmao: We will never let her forget that one. Have a great trip I am sure she will be fine but I suggest a scooter

Wow, not very funny to me - good thing it was just family that she nearly ran over with her wild driving. Someone needed some *practice* runs! ::yes::

Disney Dad Ga 01-10-2013 12:04 PM

Both of my parents have mobility issues. My Dad had polio when he was young and my Mom has had two surgeries on her knees. They both can walk fine, but rented scooters during our February trip. It made a HUGE difference. They would park them to wait in line because they felt they weren't "disabled" enough to skip lines. Just from standing in lines all day everyday, their ailments were apparent. We are going again in April and they already are lining up their scooter rentals. They rented from WDW this past trip, but are renting from an offiste vendor this time. It's $25/day versus $50/day. Good luck!

tryplm 01-10-2013 12:12 PM

3 days before our November trip, I broke 2 toes on my left foot. I made it one day of walking through MK before we asked about a w/c. I read somewhere that the resorts have them, so I had DH ask. If you are staying on-site, you can rent one free of charge from the hotel, as long as you have a credit card on file. If its not returned, then you get charged around $300. Much cheaper than $12/day.

ttintagel 01-10-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Dad Ga (Post 47145246)
Both of my parents have mobility issues. My Dad had polio when he was young and my Mom has had two surgeries on her knees. They both can walk fine, but rented scooters during our February trip. It made a HUGE difference. They would park them to wait in line because they felt they weren't "disabled" enough to skip lines. Just from standing in lines all day everyday, their ailments were apparent. We are going again in April and they already are lining up their scooter rentals. They rented from WDW this past trip, but are renting from an offiste vendor this time. It's $25/day versus $50/day. Good luck!

Just a tip for next time - almost all of the attractions at WDW have wheelchair-accessible lines. Your parents can stay right on their scooters.

TXMemaw 01-10-2013 04:46 PM

I had knee replacement surgery in July. We had trips planned for October and December (which ended up getting moved to the end of November). I just knew that I'd be good to go for our trips but unfortunately, here it is 6 months later and I am still dealing with the knee issues. Anyway, I had a wheelchair from home that we brought along with us. I was really glad that we had the chair. I could use it when I got too tired. I also don't have the speed when walking yet so my DH would load me up and push me through so that we weren't late for anything. One of the previous posters mentioned using a wheelchair from the resort. I have done that twice, but you need to be aware that the wheelchairs at the resorts are not always in the best shape. They also vary in size.

WDW doesn't require or even look at doctor's notes from my experience. You might want to look into getting a guest assistance card for your Mom if stairs are an issue. I know that right now for me, going down stairs is still a slow process. If she is in a wheelchair or scooter, that really is a nonissue but if she plans to walk some, you might want to look into it. You can do that at the guest services window at any park, just be sure that your Mom is with you so they can see and talk to her to be sure that they are giving her the pass that would help her the most.

If you do decide to rent a wheelchair or scooter, be sure to check out the offsite rental companies. They are much cheaper than renting from WDW but be aware that WDW does have a relatively new policy in place that only allows companies that they have previously approved to drop off the scooters at your resort so that it is there when you arrive. The disabilities forum has much more information about this.

Have fun and enjoy your trip. October is my favorite time in WDW.

nigel-bigel 01-13-2013 10:09 AM

I had knee surgery in early October and recovering much slower than expected. I knew there was no way I could handle walking at the parks during our trip in early January. I ended up arranging for a scooter and it worked out perfect for me.

I used the scooter for long distances, like to the busses and between "lands". Once in Adventureland, for instance, I would park the scooter and walk, and wait in lines on foot. It saved me a lot of unnecessary walking, and I know I honestly could not have done anything after my first day had I not had it.

My suggestion is to wait and see until you get closer to your trip. I ended up reserving the scooter from Walker Mobility just a few days before arriving and we were going at a busy time. I had no trouble getting one. I decided against a wheelchair because they are tiring to push! I didn't want my family to be wiped out.

Like I mentioned, I used Walker Mobility, which is a Disney approved vendor. I received excellent service and recommend them to everyone.

If you have a disability, albeit a temporary one, I can think of no better place to vacation than Disney. Best of luck!

Nicole

Deb & Bill 01-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensWife (Post 47139945)
We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?

How old is your mother? I have two total knee replacements and can walk great now. It's much better with new knees than old knees. I never use a wheelchair or scooter. I'm 62 and will be retiring at the end of the month. You are a long way from June. She might just be fine in June.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.