The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I did hear (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3044313)

thepoohguy 01-09-2013 07:44 AM

I did hear
 
that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.

floridianer 01-09-2013 07:54 AM

I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...

parkhopping 01-09-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridianer (Post 47131500)
I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...

If that's the case, I don't see them fixing it until Avatarland is open. AK is short enough on rides as it is, and closing EE for that long could definitely have a negative impact unless Avatarland can absorb some of the crowds.

mm1971 01-09-2013 09:54 AM

If this is true, I'll hold of the criticism until I see what they plan to fix. There are some pretty good engineers out there that could come up with a solution that could be implemented without tearing out the whole thing. It may not be the original motion or movement, but I bet someone coms up with a good solution without bringing it down for 12 months or longer.

LockShockBarrel 01-09-2013 01:29 PM

Couldn't you argue that Epcot is also pretty short on rides but they still did the refurb of TT and let the park absorb the crowds?

I mean, Epcot has 10 rides if I count correctly, AK has 7? But in that AK has 2 longish stage shows that you could count in there as they hold a lot of people.

Personally, I've only ever seen Betty as the Disco Yeti, and while I'm sure the intended effect is great, it's not like the ride is bad without it.

Michael623 01-09-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel (Post 47135388)
it's not like the ride is bad without it.

I (and I'm sure many others on this board) could argue this point. I rode this on the day it opened when the yeti was in full effect and I was completely underwhelmed. This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate. I consider this ride to be no better than a C-Ticket.

DizCaptain 01-09-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael623 (Post 47137253)
This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate.

So... do you hate Joe Rohde because of this ride, or do you hate this ride because of Jo Rohde? I'd say its a pretty darn good roller coaster, regardless of creator (which really doesn't matter to me anyway).

I'd like the yeti to get fixed, but its quite the project to undertake. As stated, I don't think it could happen until whatever form of expansion or addition occurs, but again as stated, Test Track got refurbed and that worked out alright.

beer dave 01-09-2013 05:07 PM

I rode EE when it first opened and thought the yeti was amazing in true form. The ride is definitely compromised with out full motion betty IMO.

Anyone notice the yeti's face with the tunnel for its mouth on the side of the mountain? ( viewed best when crossing the bridge from dino land) I think it looks like Joe Rohde.

Virtucomp 01-11-2013 10:47 AM

I'm guessing that the reason Disney would go out for bid on a fix is because their Imagineers have not come up with a fix that does not require dismantling the ride.

There are companies that put out oil well fires. There are companies that can plug undersea oil rig leaks. There is probably a company that can come up with a method of correcting the Yeti's mounting without tearing down the ride but will Disney be willing to spend the money on it.

It is an embarassment that the ride is broken but shutting down Everest for a year may be more costly than not haveing the Yeti move.

skier_pete 01-11-2013 02:15 PM

As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.

Lewisc 01-11-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier_pete (Post 47158314)
As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.

The rumor is the problem was put out for bids. I think that part of the rumor is plausible.

Add me to the list of posters who don't think Disney will be getting a proposal for a price Disney is willing to pay, for the result Disney is looking for and with the amount of down time Disney is willing to live with.

Could the solution be to remove the existing Yeti and replace him with "Yeti light"?

minilexa 01-11-2013 02:40 PM

soarin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepoohguy (Post 47131392)
that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.

yet i had thought "soarin" should be remoldeled :cool1:

speedyf 01-11-2013 02:55 PM

Is there no way to work on the yeti after park hours? I'm sure it wouldn't be the best, but could they put up a curtain with a picture of the yeti on the outside (like they do with the building on main street)? They could then do work behind the curtain after the park is closed.

Animal Kingdom does usually close pretty early...sometimes 5pm...and as late as 8pm. It seems like they would have almost a 12 hour window on most days (8pm to 8am?).

I exprienced the attraction both ways as well. The moving yeti does make the attraction better, but the ride is still great either way.

Speedy :teleport:

TEK224 01-11-2013 03:41 PM

I haven't been to AK for awhile. What is wrong with the Yeti?

disneychic33 01-11-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEK224
I haven't been to AK for awhile. What is wrong with the Yeti?

The Yeti hasn't worked since the first opening of EE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.