The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Christmas gift second thought (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3044255)

luv that cruise 01-09-2013 01:39 AM

Christmas gift second thought

I'm curious for a few of you who seem to know a lot more about DCL than I do... Another thread mentioned "name changes" on reservations. I thought there was something about the "lead" on the reservation not being able to change? A friend was given a february cruise as a Christmas gift and her heart is just not into it. A group of us going but we each have our own room. I could find another friend who would like to go and would gladly pay a name change fee. She is grinning and bearing it but if there is an "out" I feel like I should at least share the option to her. Please don't judge. A well intentioned gift but the timing may not be right. My prediction is she will go and be glad for the time away but just trying to be a good friend and tell her if there are options.

lanejudy 01-09-2013 03:15 PM

I'm not certain, but I believe 1 adult from the original reservation must remain. For a February cruise you must be within the penalty phase, so I'm not sure that you can do a simple name swap if your friend was the only person booked in the room. Was trip insurance included? Depending on reason for not cruising, that might help; if through DCL she might be able change the date.

Good luck!

sayhello 01-09-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanejudy (Post 47135985)
I'm not certain, but I believe 1 adult from the original reservation must remain. For a February cruise you must be within the penalty phase, so I'm not sure that you can do a simple name swap if your friend was the only person booked in the room. Was trip insurance included? Depending on reason for not cruising, that might help; if through DCL she might be able change the date.

Good luck!

If she has DCL insurance, it's not really a date change. What could happen is she could cancel the cruise, submit a claim to the insurance (Allianz), which most likely would be denied. (Not wanting to go isn't covered). Then, after the claim is denied, she would get a credit from DCL for a future cruise.

Sayhello

lanejudy 01-09-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 47136049)
If she has DCL insurance, it's not really a date change. What could happen is she could cancel the cruise, submit a claim to the insurance (Allianz), which most likely would be denied. (Not wanting to go isn't covered). Then, after the claim is denied, she would get a credit from DCL for a future cruise.

Sayhello

Thanks for clarifying! I knew there was something about DCL insurance that essentially allowed you to cruise at a later date instead, but since I've never had to file a claim I was sure of specifics.

kcashner 01-09-2013 03:28 PM

One name on the reservation must remain the same. If you each have your own room, you can't change a name. If there are 2 people in a room and one decides to not go, you can do a name change.

As above, her option is to use her travel insurance--if she got insurance thru Disney, it will work as above.