The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MyMagic+: What if no smart phone? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3043695)

cheryterese 01-08-2013 09:10 AM

MyMagic+: What if no smart phone?

I just read the DIS update on MyMagic+ and am wondering, what if you don't have a smart phone?

Missyrose 01-08-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryterese (Post 47120462)
I just read the DIS update on MyMagic+ and am wondering, what if you don't have a smart phone?

There will be kiosks set up around the parks that will allow you to see/change/schedule FP+ reservations.

cheryterese 01-08-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missyrose (Post 47120519)
There will be kiosks set up around the parks that will allow you to see/change/schedule FP+ reservations.

Thanks - good to know. Do you know if the app can be downloaded onto our Ipad to schedule things at home before we leave?

dominiondad 01-08-2013 09:20 AM

I recently bought an old iPOD from somebody at work for $50. No monthly fees.

Missyrose 01-08-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryterese (Post 47120542)
Thanks - good to know. Do you know if the app can be downloaded onto our Ipad to schedule things at home before we leave?

Yep, you can download the iPad app.

wdwmickey 01-08-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryterese (Post 47120462)

I was wondering the same thing. I was able to download the app onto my kindle and it works great!

cheryterese 01-08-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwmickey (Post 47120708)
I was wondering the same thing. I was able to download the app onto my kindle and it works great!

Perfect! We have a kindle too - just no smart phones! The kindle would be easy to carry around the parks too.

pilferk 01-08-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominiondad (Post 47120549)
I recently bought an old iPOD from somebody at work for $50. No monthly fees.

And with the free wifi in the parks...the app will work just fine with the Ipod touch. Works fine with ours, at home.

pilferk 01-08-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwmickey (Post 47120708)

That's one of my "hmmmm" issues with this.

Disney is now asking us all to bring some relatively expensive tech into the parks, on a pretty much daily basis.

With the proliferation of smart phones...I know thats already happening to a large degree.

But when there are variances...I'm guessing we're going to see an increased number of tablet type devices in the park. And...lets face it...they're going to need to be stowed on a regular basis for some of the rides. Rides you're not too keen on having your tech riding along with you (and the old "put your phone in a zip lock and shove in a pocket" doesn't work quite as well for ipads, kindles, etc).

It would be nice to see some more lockers pop up around the park, with free short term useage (like IOA/Uni does in their parks). Leaving that piece of tech in the stroller (if you have one).....I'm not quite as confident in it's safety as I am when I leave a merch bag hanging off the handle.

Hmmmmm

lillykat 01-08-2013 12:13 PM

Has anyone been successful in getting the app on their nook color?

cheryterese 01-08-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilferk (Post 47121723)
That's one of my "hmmmm" issues with this.

Disney is now asking us all to bring some relatively expensive tech into the parks, on a pretty much daily basis.

With the proliferation of smart phones...I know thats already happening to a large degree.

But when there are variances...I'm guessing we're going to see an increased number of tablet type devices in the park. And...lets face it...they're going to need to be stowed on a regular basis for some of the rides. Rides you're not too keen on having your tech riding along with you (and the old "put your phone in a zip lock and shove in a pocket" doesn't work quite as well for ipads, kindles, etc).

It would be nice to see some more lockers pop up around the park, with free short term useage (like IOA/Uni does in their parks). Leaving that piece of tech in the stroller (if you have one).....I'm not quite as confident in it's safety as I am when I leave a merch bag hanging off the handle.

Hmmmmm

I agree with you and that concerns me too. We would never bring the ipad into the parks, but would consider bringing the kindle.

pilferk 01-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillykat (Post 47122178)
Has anyone been successful in getting the app on their nook color?

I have a nook tablet, and...sort of kind of.

It runs if I put the N2A card into it and convert it to an android tablet.

But I haven't seen the app on the nook marketplace (to be honest, I haven't looked very hard, either) and, typically, if it's not there, it won't run when it's in "nook" mode.

jdcthree 01-08-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilferk

And with the free wifi in the parks...the app will work just fine with the Ipod touch. Works fine with ours, at home.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I don't have a smart phone and don't plan on getting one in the near future, and I'm not about to lug my iPad around.

Sammie 01-08-2013 05:54 PM

You can schedule from home on any computer accessing the My Disney Experience on the new website.

The convenience of the App is you can then take it with you into the parks.

M5ward 01-08-2013 06:30 PM

What is the exact name of the app?