The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Would you go to the hospital? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042812)

tchrrx 01-06-2013 07:36 PM

Would you go to the hospital?

My sister is due with her first baby any time now. (First baby in our family...my DD was adopted) Sis is planning to call me when she goes into labor b/c she lives two hours away. DH thinks it is stupid that I'm planning on going to the hospital. He thinks that I should wait until she's at home. (I thought about this, but since Sis asked me to be there, I am definitely going.) Do you go to the hospital when a family member is having a baby?

ETA: Was supposed to be a poll, but I forgot how to do that! :rotfl:

goofyintoronto 01-06-2013 07:38 PM

Definitely go to the hospital! Esp since your sis specifically asked you to be there. I did it for my sis and she did it for me. :)

Acklander 01-06-2013 07:39 PM

I've always followed the rule of, what laboring mom wants, laboring mom gets. Im always thrilled and honored when invited to such an awesome event and wouldn't pass it up for anything else in the world :).

MIGrandma 01-06-2013 07:40 PM

If my sister wanted me there I'd move heaven and earth to get there! :)

Totally disagree with your Dh in thinking it's stupid. Your sister wants you there, you want to be there, make it happen. :)

NikkiLovesWDW! 01-06-2013 07:41 PM

I was in the room with my sister when my niece was born and cried my eyes out when she went into labor with her second and I had Back To School Night. So disappointed I couldn't be there. That's a little more than most people do but I think it's nice to go during visiting hours after the baby is born, at the very least.

kidzmom3 01-06-2013 07:44 PM

Does your sister want you to wait in the waiting room for hours or does she plan to let you in the laboring room. If she just wants you to come and wait, you may be there 6-20 hrs....waiting. Especially with a first baby.

I would need more info before I advised you on a course of action.

DebbieB 01-06-2013 07:44 PM

When my first niece was born, we went when she was close to delivery. It was my brother's baby, we didn't go into the room while SIL was in labor, she was throwing up and we wanted to give her privacy. We were asked in after she delivered. When my second niece was born, we were watching the first one and she delivered in the middle of the night so we waited for morning to take my niece in to see her sister. When my nephew was born, it was my other brother's baby, his wife was having difficulty and they scheduled a c-section, we went to the hospital when we heard she was going to the operating room.

Nolcrest 01-06-2013 07:45 PM

In my family, we do not go to the hospital during labor. After the baby is born, we would go for a visit to the hospital. We pretty much all live near enough to one another.

If my sister specifically asked me to be there I would though.

Poohforyou 01-06-2013 07:46 PM

Your sister wants you there and you're able to be there. Why is your dh even questioning this:confused3?

zurgswife 01-06-2013 07:46 PM

If she requested it I definitely would be there.

gemini2727 01-06-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohforyou (Post 47104552)
Your sister wants you there and you're able to be there. Why is your dh even questioning this:confused3?

:thumbsup2

wdwmom0f3 01-06-2013 07:47 PM

If you dont go you will regret it forever and blame you husband for the rest of your married life. :rotfl2: He really just needs a pop over the head with a cast iron skillet! :laughing:

Of course you should go! This should be a non issue, but God love him, men dont always think the way we do. ;)

tchrrx 01-06-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 (Post 47104579)
If you dont go you will regret it forever and blame you husband for the rest of your married life. :rotfl2: He really just needs a pop over the head with a cast iron skillet! :laughing:

Of course you should go! This should be a non issue, but God love him, men dont always think the way we do. ;)

:thumbsup2 I think that I may print your post out & hang it up for him to see. :rotfl: What is it with men & the way they think (uh.....don't think? :confused3) ;)

Christine 01-06-2013 07:57 PM

Since your sister asked, I think you should go. Just make sure she's fully admitted before you leave your house to make the trip. I was sent home two times before they actually admitted me. I had a slow labor.

luvsmickeymouse 01-06-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 (Post 47104579)

Yes, I think you will regret it if you don't go. A close friend of mine asked me to go in with her and I thought I would be in the way so I didn't go and I have regretted it ever since. Especially since my own sister didn't ask me when she had her kids.