The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ESPN Club moving? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042365)

travelbug 01-06-2013 05:50 AM

ESPN Club moving?

A couple years ago I remember hearing numerous times that ESPN might be moved to DTD. Did that turn out to be just a false rumor or did the plan change?

michelleiada 01-06-2013 10:23 AM

I have never heard this rumor?? I hope not. I love it right where it is!

OKW Lover 01-06-2013 02:52 PM

Never heard that rumor before. There is certainly nothing currently happening about it. In fact, ESPN is shortly going to be renovating the gift shop/arcade area which would indicate they plan on staying right where they are for a while.

HiHoOffWeGo 01-06-2013 04:23 PM

I here that you can not make reservations at ESPN club. Is this true?

OKW Lover 01-06-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiHoOffWeGo (Post 47102955)
I here that you can not make reservations at ESPN club. Is this true?

Your heard correctly - ESPN does not take reservations.

vandy 01-06-2013 05:32 PM

I did hear that rumor as well, that it was being relocated to DTD/Pleasure Island area. If I recall, that rumor came off sounding like it was pretty much going to happen. Never heard anything more of it so not sure what happenned. Personally I prefer it at the Boardwalk.

andyman8 01-06-2013 06:54 PM

I believe moving ESPN to Pleasure Island was part of that whole "DTD revitalization project" (aka Hyperion Wharf) that seemed to never surface.

OldsDr 01-07-2013 11:32 AM

I thought ESPN Club was staying put and the rumor was an ESPN Zone that was going in DTD. If thats the case it probably died when disney got out of the ESPN Zone buisness.

Dano1182 01-07-2013 11:39 AM

I have heard that the Bakery on the boardwalk is expanding into part of the ESPN Zone .THe aprt where the arcade is now.

Most of the ESPN resturants have clsed don compleltly si I do see expansion in thier future.

We go there every year. Last year we noticed that many of the staff we had gotten fo know were no longer there.

Seems that "Corporate" had implemented new mangement plans.

tjkraz 01-07-2013 11:46 AM

Going back about 7-8 years, rumor was that DisneyQuest would close and be converted to an ESPN Zone. It was a reasonable conclusion given that the gaming focus of the ESPN Zones could have leveraged a number of existing DQ attractions.

And continuing along those lines, the assumption was that Disney would not want to operate two separate ESPN venues...thus the Club would close.

Most of the furor began here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...4/25/2051.aspx

Obviously none of this ever happened. Either Disney changed plans over time or Jim Hill got some really bad information.

jlewisinsyr 01-07-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkraz (Post 47111456)
Obviously none of this ever happened. Either Disney changed plans over time or Jim Hill got some really bad information.

I'd lean more towards the latter, but the former probably played a part.

travelbug 01-07-2013 03:26 PM

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Very interesting background and puzzle pieces, for sure.

tjkraz 01-07-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr (Post 47111733)

Perhaps. Jim Hill has taken a lot of heat over the DisneyQuest closing prediction.

Personally I at least give him credit for putting his name to the rumors he decides to publish. Other self-professed insiders seem content to hide behind anonymous message board pseudonyms. And when their rumors fail to pan-out, the excuse is typically along the lines of "well, it was going to happen but plans changed."

I suspect most Disney rumors have some grain of truth to them. The challenge is trying to differentiate between the highly speculative, blue sky stuff and more probable moves which are on the fast track.

Hill was clearly wrong in the article linked above. But he wasn't the first and won't be the last. Still waiting for that DHS Cars Land announcement...Monster's Inc coaster...new Epcot pavilions...Ft Wilderness DVC...Australian expansion at DAK...

Lewisc 01-07-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr

Disney dumped ESPN Zone. I read DQ makes a lot of $$$ with local (birthday) parties.

I suspect JH info had some info to support his rumor.

HiHoOffWeGo 01-17-2013 02:04 PM

Thank you OKW Lover and by the way what is there to look for, shops etc... at OKW?