The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to find an agent? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041975)

Beetuna 01-05-2013 01:16 PM

How to find an agent?
 
Hi all! :goodvibes

I posted an earlier message just touching on this subject, but wanted to put out some more general feelers...

It seems there are a lot of options out there for using a travel agent. How do I choose?

I heard someone that a specific agency "sponsors" this site or something, but don't remember who.

Anyone have any glowing suggestions? Or, if it isn't against the rules, would love to be contacted by other agents if they are allowed to message me. :)

Looking forward to starting the process on our next trip!

Thanks! :3dglasses

DisCopper 01-05-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetuna (Post 47090946)
Hi all! :goodvibes

I posted an earlier message just touching on this subject, but wanted to put out some more general feelers...

It seems there are a lot of options out there for using a travel agent. How do I choose?

I heard someone that a specific agency "sponsors" this site or something, but don't remember who.

Anyone have any glowing suggestions? Or, if it isn't against the rules, would love to be contacted by other agents if they are allowed to message me. :)

Looking forward to starting the process on our next trip!

Thanks! :3dglasses

I seldom use travel agents because of experience with them screwing things up. I worked in hotels for years, and if a reservation was screwed up, it was because a travel agent did something wrong. If I do use one, I double-check everything on my own (calling the hotels, etc...).

If you are looking for one for Disney: my advice is to test them a little. Ask some questions that you know the answer to. It doesn't necessarily have to be complex.. something like, "I heard you can take a boat from the Magic Kingdom to Downtown Disney." If they know the answer, great. If they don't & admit it AND then find the answer, then they're good. If they lie, run out the door.

taylor3297 01-05-2013 01:39 PM

There are many great Disney agents out there. I do believe Dream Unlimited sponsors this site. ( If I am wrong someone will correct me). Other people use Small World vacations.

I personally use Mousefan travel, The agent I use is very knowledgeable and makes sure she is up on everything.

A friend a met here on the dis, has just started her career as a Disney TA with Fairy Godmother travel. She really knows all things Disney too.

So, I would go with a recommendation and then "interview" the agent.

Good luck!

CraftyMommy 01-05-2013 03:00 PM

I have a very nice travel agent. This was my 13th trip so I really didn't need to have a travel agent but I like to give her my booking so she can get the credit for it. Its good to help out another Disney fan. I used to use another lady but she quit being a TA. Last year I found someone on the Disboards who is very knowledgeable about Disney. I found her by reading several of her trip reports and then read about her becoming a TA. I was always happy in the past with my previous TA who had retired but I couldn't believe the difference. My new TA sent me a customized, laminated book that had all the details of our trip in it along with many pages of very helpful information...all personalized to our trip. I know she had to have spent a lot of time putting it together, printing it out, and laminating the whole book. We also received a gift card, some lanyards, and a tote bag. She booked the trip and also got our MVMCP tickets for us. She offered to help me secure the ADR's I wanted, but I had already made my dinner reservations on my own before I asked her to book our trip. I had some issues on the trip and told her about it. She contacted Disney about our issues. I didn't really expect her to do anything. I was just venting to her when she asked me how the trip went. But it was nice that she took it upon herself to contact Disney about our experience. She didn't have to, but it was nice that she did.

I know there are many uninformed TA's out there but I think the one I found is top notch. I don't know if we are allowed to post names on here, but if you send me a private message I'll give you her info.

alecshawn 01-05-2013 04:31 PM

Why even use an agent?:confused3 It is very easy to book WDW vacations and discounts are on here on the codes section and mousesavers web site.
Honestly, just call WDW talk...look for discounts. Travel agents...just arent needed. Its just sooo EASY to do it yourself.

Beetuna 01-05-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alecshawn (Post 47092802)
Why even use an agent?:confused3 It is very easy to book WDW vacations and discounts are on here on the codes section and mousesavers web site.
Honestly, just call WDW talk...look for discounts. Travel agents...just arent needed. Its just sooo EASY to do it yourself.

We did our first trip together ourselves.
The second time we used an agent.

It was a significantly better experience, in my opinion. I don't have time in my schedule to spend looking for deals, searching for the best dates, figuring out and calling in meal reservations, and getting up to speed on all the latest info.

From the stories I've heard, it sounds like lots of people recognize that a Disney travel agent can be very beneficial!

Rafikifan 01-05-2013 08:24 PM

There are a lot of people fully capable of planning their Disney World trip. But it does take a lot of time and research. I became a Disney Travel Specialist because after several trips and becoming totally addicted lol I was helping family & friends plan their trips which I enjoy. They didn't have the time to get up at dawn to make dining reservations. They didn't have the time to fully understand transportation, park hours, layout of the parks. I get no money from clients and a small commission from Disney. My reward is when families come back and thank me for helping them plan a magical vacation. So there ARE advantages to using a travel agent who knows WDW, and as a previous poster said, ask questions. I am NOT trying to solicit. Just want you all to know there is a difference in travel agents. There are some who really do care IF you want their help.

taylor3297 01-05-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafikifan (Post 47095282)
There are a lot of people fully capable of planning their Disney World trip. But it does take a lot of time and research. I became a Disney Travel Specialist because after several trips and becoming totally addicted lol I was helping family & friends plan their trips which I enjoy. They didn't have the time to get up at dawn to make dining reservations. They didn't have the time to fully understand transportation, park hours, layout of the parks. I get no money from clients and a small commission from Disney. My reward is when families come back and thank me for helping them plan a magical vacation. So there ARE advantages to using a travel agent who knows WDW, and as a previous poster said, ask questions. I am NOT trying to solicit. Just want you all to know there is a difference in travel agents. There are some who really do care IF you want their help.

:thumbsup2

Sue M 01-05-2013 08:48 PM

Yes, Dreams Unlimited is our sponsor here.

I think it's great to use a TA, especially if you are new to wdw booking. For my first few trips I used a TA and learned a lot. I would only use a TA that specialized in Disney. They are called Disney authorized Vacation Specialist.
I used Small World first, but thought they were just ok, it's a big agency. Next few trips I worked with a smaller agency, Ears to You and was very happy with them. There are lots of great Disney TAs.

I think the best thing they do is that they are available all the time, they get up and are on the phone when lines open getting you the discount that just came out. And they know exactly when wdw releases the discounts.


I've heard horror stories of people using regular TAs that either didn't know, were out of the office, were away, and for sure aren't on the phone with wdw reservation at 7am when discounts come out.

They also know WDW and can help you with your planning.

Happ y planning.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.