The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Will My Kids Get Bored? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041590)

Dixiemom 01-04-2013 07:26 PM

Will My Kids Get Bored?

I have a son who will either be a month shy of his 13th b'day or actually 13 if we go when I am thinking. I also have a daughter who will be 9. I know the tween hangout looks great but I wonder how much my son would take advantage of it. At the same time I wonder if my daughter will be clinging to me since she wouldn't be able to go with her brother to the tween lounge.....they both love arcades but I know from WDW resort arcade experience that arcade get really $$$$ really fast.....Any ideas? This would be our first cruise.

kcashner 01-04-2013 07:32 PM

Don't even tell them about the arcade. :confused3 We've only ever used it during "free play" time in the programming. If the tween group does "Invade the Arcade," all machines are set to free for that time.

Will the kids be bored? If they are, they just aren't making any effort at all. I've always had a rule that mine needed to go to the programming for 1 activity per day (essentially 1 hour). This gave ME a much needed break and gave them a chance to like the programming.

You didn't say which ship, but there is plenty to do whether classic or new!

fredgirls 01-04-2013 08:23 PM

My kids only chose to go to programs in the clubs after dinner. There was so much else they wanted to do. I can't imagine being bored! We were only on a 5-night though. We needed much longer! There were some places on the ship we didn't even get to!

KBT35 01-04-2013 08:28 PM

I'm with kcashner! My DS was 10 when we set sail in May and he had an absolute blast! He really enjoyed the kids club for his age group but his favorite place to hang......the pool deck right by the ice cream machine! I could always count on finding him there! LOL! Also he really got a kick out of enjoying room service while I enjoyed brunch at Palo! I ordered for him and received his order prior to heading off, he laid in his bunk ate to his hearts delight and watched a movie! There was never an "I'm bored" moment! We left the ship vowing to do a 7 night as there was so much we didn't get to explore or do! :cool1:

KaryCam 01-04-2013 08:38 PM

My DS was 12.5 on our cruise and he really enjoyed all the activities on the ship and was only in the tween club for a very short time.
On our next cruise he will be 13.75 and we have already looked at Navigators for our cruise and he sees so much that he wants to do. Not to mention the AquaDuck and the Muppet Detective game and putt-putt, etc, etc. He also has seen a few activities in the tween club that he wants to do.
Bored - no way!

firsttimemom 01-04-2013 08:39 PM

My almost 12.5 yr old son didn't particularly care for the location of the tween club on the magic when we cruised this summer. I think he went once for a mario cart challenge. But 5 months later he had a great time at the Edge on the fantasy. Honestly, it depends on mix of kids and the counselors, too. If you can encourage them to go the first evening, that helps a lot because everyone is new.

Have you checked the cruise meets thread to see if there are any kids of similar age listed? It helped my son to know there were a couple other boys his age (I knew there would be a bunch but it helped him to have a couple of concrete names)

I like the idea of having to pick one activity a day. It's possibly they will stay longer, but at least you get an hour or so.

lbgraves 01-04-2013 09:09 PM

My DS14 has loved the Edge on the Magic, Wonder & Fantasy. He has always liked going to the clubs. However, DD12 really has only just started enjoying the club the last couple years now that her and her friends have a bit more freedom onboard. She has always preferred to spend time with DH and me. Part of that is the fact that DH traveled for work a lot before so she wanted to spend time with him when he was around. We did choose DCL because it was a family experience. We enjoyed doing the family activities with her, going to the movies and just exploring the ship. She had to go to the club for two hours while we went to Palo...and somehow she had an inner timer that went off. We always got a page from the club when we were finishing up our meal.

tiggspring 01-04-2013 09:20 PM

My kids were 13,10 and 7 and when we got off our Dream Cruise the only thing they had to say was the next cruise had to be LONGER!

We were concerned at first because the tween club was quite small but my daughter made two friends and since they can come/go from the tween club they spent most of their time on deck using the club as the place they met up. This was the first time our DD had this much freedom so we made good use of the wave phones and it worked out great. She still talks/txt both the girls seven months later. Our two youngest loved the kids program so much that when we got off our early reef excusion in Nassau they insisted we take them back to the ship. They had no interest in seeing the Island. My kids love to explore, go to museums etc and are never bored so this was quite a surprise.