The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Are Star Wars weekends crazy busy? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041309)

BensWife 01-04-2013 11:16 AM

Are Star Wars weekends crazy busy?

My 2 little boys (and my big boy - DH) all love Star Wars. We are planning a trip in early June. The last Star Wars weekend scheduled is June 8th and 9th. We were planning on flying in on Sunday, and our first day in the park on Monday the 10th (since weekdays are not supposed to be as busy as weekends). However, since it is Star Wars weekend, maybe we should fly out Saturday and at least get in Sunday so the boys can be there for it. At this time of the year is it going to be busy anyway so weekday or weekend won't make much of a difference? Thank you.

MinnieGirl33 01-04-2013 11:23 AM

SWW really only impacts DHS attendance levels IMO.

toonaspie 01-04-2013 11:26 AM

I'm planning to go to the first Star Wars weekend in May. That one should (or hopefully will be) not so crowded as is it still school time for many people.

Missyrose 01-04-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensWife
My 2 little boys (and my big boy - DH) all love Star Wars. We are planning a trip in early June. The last Star Wars weekend scheduled is June 8th and 9th. We were planning on flying in on Sunday, and our first day in the park on Monday the 10th (since weekdays are not supposed to be as busy as weekends). However, since it is Star Wars weekend, maybe we should fly out Saturday and at least get in Sunday so the boys can be there for it. At this time of the year is it going to be busy anyway so weekday or weekend won't make much of a difference? Thank you.

Yes, Star Wars Weekends bring in big crowds, but those crowds tend to be centered only at DHS. If you plan to do DHS that Sunday, plan to get there super early (like7 a.m.), the meet and greet passes go fast!

Megsie1000 01-04-2013 02:08 PM

How old are you kids? My 4-year old ended up having a better "Star Wars" experience on a non-Star Wars weekend day when we were there last June. It was just less crowded and he was able to get into the Jedi training whereas he had no chance on a SWW day. There were less Star Wars characters around, but he did get to see some. When we were there on a SWW day and the lines were so long to see any of the characters we just got discouraged. It was hot and he's 4, so 90 mins in line even to see his favorite Darth Vader would have been too much.

I guess it depends on how old your kids are and what their tolerance levels are. For my 4-year old it was not worth it yet. We got a lot of Star Wars in on a regular day and he was more happy with that. But if you have die-hards who are years older and know the difference it might be worth it. Just be prepared for brutal heat and high crowd levels.

twinboysmom 01-04-2013 03:45 PM

We went to sww the last weekend last year. My star wars loving DH said never again it was so busy. Previously we had gone to the first or second weekend which weren't empty but not near as bad as the last weekend. I found it to be a miserable experience.

GaSleepingBeautyFan 01-04-2013 03:54 PM

DHS is insane during SWW.
We've gone twice and then I tried to take my kids again last year but we got in the park and within 2 hours the teens were tired of the crowds. I asked my son (17) an hour ago if he wants to do SWW this summer when we go and he said No, it was too crowded and he wants to avoid it.

With the ages of your kids, I wouldn't do it. I'd just stick to DHS on a normal day.

magicLAL12 01-04-2013 05:23 PM

Yes, June is a busy time for Disney in general; however, when we were there last June for SWW, we found that it made DHS even crazier than normal. I personally couldn't tolerate the insanity, but that may have been because I am not the biggest SW fan myself so I didn't have much to pacify the craziness.

Like others have suggested, I would try going in the morning- I would assume this might minimize some of the crowds.

Good luck!

MeLaNie9 01-04-2013 05:38 PM

We have been to SWW twice, both times it was the 1st weekend and our most recent was May 2012. It was way more crowded last year then I remember from the previous trip. We are all truly Star Wars fanatics but we left right after the parade because it was just unbearably crowded - just waiting for the parade put DH and I over the edge. We never have gotten the character meet and greet passes, we just walked around and took pics of characters between people going up to meet them. The line for the official merchandise tent was at least 2 hours long (as we were told by a CM), so we skipped that as well. I doubt that we will go again.

cerberus 01-04-2013 06:21 PM

We took our two kids last year (5yo and 6 yo) at that time and it was much busier than the weekend before but I think more kids were out of school by then. You MUST get to the park at opening (both weekends we went it opened an hour earlier than posted), as the day goes on it gets busier! We hate crowds and still LOVED SWWs, so much that we are returning this year!! It was totally worth it and we are not crazy loving star wars people :)