The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can you buy into DVC if you're single? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041198)

disneydaft70 01-04-2013 07:31 AM

Can you buy into DVC if you're single?

Someone told me you can't buy into DVC if you're single? Is this true?

JA x

MickeyFan612 01-04-2013 07:51 AM

As Long as you have money you can buy into DVC! No Discrimination!

disneydaft70 01-04-2013 08:00 AM

I was hoping you'd say that...I didn't think Disney would discriminate. I couldn't imagine me being turned away if I won the lottery and wanted to part with thousands of dollars. I will correct my informant.

Thanks

JA x

bwang123 01-04-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 (Post 47076285)

JA x

maybe they are referring to the fact that in most if not all timeshare presentations, if you are married or co-habitating with someone, you must bring them.

GoofyDad1970 01-04-2013 08:42 AM

Sure you can. I have a friend who is in DVC and he is single.

chalee94 01-04-2013 09:05 AM

if you go to a direct presentation, they might want you to bring the spouse along if there is one.

i've never been to a timeshare sales presentation, so that's not an issue (and being single keeps the hard sell guys away when i'm on the vegas strip).

but i'm single and bought DVC (and another timeshare) resale, so it can be done...

disneydaft70 01-04-2013 01:34 PM

That really is good to know. I've more chance of buying into DVC than having a successful relationship ;)

JA x

SpectroMan71 01-04-2013 02:47 PM

Disney will take your money any way they can get it from you. Granted, they probably WANT all families in there, but no - no discrimination whatsoever.

Many other timeshare presentations require you to be married, and both present, to get whatever their special offer or incentive is, but thankfully Disney isn't one of those.

bighoo93 01-04-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectroMan71 (Post 47080621)
Many other timeshare presentations require you to be married, and both present, to get whatever their special offer or incentive is, but thankfully Disney isn't one of those.

From my experience, DVC at the very least strongly encouraged/suggested that my wife and I both had to attend. I guess it wasn't a formal requirement, but it was made clear that they wanted to schedule this for a time when we would both be there, and would reschedule if we could not. This has nothing to do with wanting to sell to married couples. It is about wanting to make a sale at the end of the presentation, and knowing that most couples won't commit to that kind of purchase without the other one there.

chalee94 01-04-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighoo93 (Post 47080731)
This has nothing to do with wanting to sell to married couples. It is about wanting to make a sale at the end of the presentation, and knowing that most couples won't commit to that kind of purchase without the other one there.

it also gives them a chance to play off the couple's dynamic. if one seems more interested, maybe use that to influence the other to join the party...or even more aggressive techniques by non-disney timeshare sales staff...

but yeah, it does knock out one excuse not to close the deal.

TDluvsDaisy 01-04-2013 03:29 PM

I bought in on the Fantasy and my husband wasn't present. They asked if he wanted to come and he didn't and they were cool with that. My husband was perfectly happy to let me do the business while he enjoyed himself elsewhere.

Of course he isn't on the deed because he didn't sign, but I have him listed as an associate.

ToddyLu 01-04-2013 04:01 PM

:thumbsup2 I am married to a wonderful guy but feel like I am a single DVCer--he understands nothing about it other than I tag him along, he gets a great room and see animals. I am the Master of our DVC...Mawhahahaha

OKW Lover 01-04-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 (Post 47076285)

JA x

As others have already said - no problem buying into DVC if you are single. Don't know why your friend thought there might be.

bumbershoot 01-04-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddyLu (Post 47081482)
:thumbsup2 I am married to a wonderful guy but feel like I am a single DVCer--he understands nothing about it other than I tag him along, he gets a great room and see animals. I am the Master of our DVC...Mawhahahaha

:thumbsup2

Except that for me, I'm "just" the Associate! But I do everything DVC-related. Now, thank goodness he was there at the presentation, because even though we had a great guide who didn't steer us wrong at all, there was one little bit that I mixed up, but DH did not, and was able to help me later when the misunderstanding on my part came to light. Whew!

myxdvz 01-04-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwang123 (Post 47076519)
maybe they are referring to the fact that in most if not all timeshare presentations, if you are married or co-habitating with someone, you must bring them.

I actually hate this rule and wonder why it's there at all? I am married but do all our vacation planning. My DH *HATES* wasting his time to to presentations because at the end of the day he doesn't care. I, on the other hand, because I handle our vacation planning and $$$ am interested. With DVC, he came but it was very obvious he wasn't interested and only after assurances that our time spent there would be offset by the time savings of the free FPs :) At HGVC, in the middle of the pitch they let him stay with the kids in the kids room.

Our DVC is under my name only. Any future TS is in my name only - why does he need to be there?