The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Break from Magic Kingdom for dinner (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040954)

dorothymantooth 01-03-2013 06:29 PM

Break from Magic Kingdom for dinner

I am headed to Disney with my family in February. We plan on spending one the day at the Magic Kingdom and are thinking of taking a break and eating an early dinner at one of the resorts. Are there any resorts that are easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom that have yummy restaurants? Any place not to be missed? We already have reservations at 'Ohana and Citricos. Thank you!:)

Ro Z 01-03-2013 06:34 PM

We like Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona. Both right on the monorail. We are not fans of the Wave but others seem to like it. :confused3

goofyintoronto 01-03-2013 06:52 PM

I only like kona breakfast. Wouldn't recommend lunch or dinner. But its a popular place.

Id go with GF cafe for sure!

tluvstink 01-03-2013 07:11 PM

Another vote for GFC! It was one of our favorites from our last trip.

Another fun thing to do would be to take the boat to The Wilderness Lodge and try one of the restaurants there. Whispering Canyon is fun and Artist Point gets great reviews:)

Terri

Julylady 01-03-2013 07:18 PM

Good suggestions. Kona is a must do for us every trip. They have amazing desserts! We also love Grand Floridian cafe. We also like the Cinderella character meal at the GF. The food is pretty good for a buffet and Lady Tremaine and the wicked stepsisters were just a hoot!

Li Li 01-03-2013 07:25 PM

Honestly, I feel like ALL the monorail resort restaurants are good! Personal faves are Narcoosees, Citricos and California Grill.

goofyintoronto 01-03-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julylady
We also like the Cinderella character meal at the GF. The food is pretty good for a buffet and Lady Tremaine and the wicked stepsisters were just a hoot!

the restaurant your referring to is 1900 park fair. Character interaction is great, but i didn't care for the food at all. But id go again for the step sisters. They're so funny!

And i agree with California grill. OMG food is amazing!

dorothymantooth 01-03-2013 08:26 PM

California Grill will be closed when we get there. :( I didn't even think about Kona for dinner. I'll check it out. What about Wave... of American Flavors? It looks like I can get a reservation there. Anyone have an opinion about that place. Thanks for all of the input!

PryncessChrysty 01-03-2013 08:30 PM

If you're already doing O'hana, I would skip Kona. I would do something a little different and take the boat from MK over to Ft. Wilderness and have Trail's End. Whispering Canyon at WL is good, too (but loud).

PryncessChrysty 01-03-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothymantooth (Post 47073018)
California Grill will be closed when we get there. :( I didn't even think about Kona for dinner. I'll check it out. What about Wave... of American Flavors? It looks like I can get a reservation there. Anyone have an opinion about that place. Thanks for all of the input!

My DH & I had dinner there with three friends and none of us enjoyed it. I have heard from others that loved it, but we did not have a good experience. There was dirt in our salad (big chunks) and the steak was really tough. When we asked for a steak knife, we were told they don't have any on hand because their meat is so tender. Yeah, not so much. :rolleyes: All of our plates were still practically full when they cleaned the table at the end of the meal.

cindymindy 01-03-2013 08:36 PM

We too are missing out on Cali Grill :( we are trying Flying Fish tis time in its place we also really enjoyed Narcoossees at GF. I was enchanted that not only could you watch the fireworks at MK, but also the water parade in the seven seas lagoon!

GrammyJudy 01-03-2013 08:40 PM

Chef Mickey at the Contemporary or Ohana would be my choices

Harambe 01-04-2013 01:15 AM

Mmmmmm . . . almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossee's. If you take the boat to GF from Mk, you walk up on the dock and practically fall into Narcoossee's.

NorweJenNY 01-04-2013 01:28 AM

You already said you'd be going to 'Ohana - that would be at the top of our list - good choice! Also up there for us is Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. We love getting a bottomless skillet! :goodvibes

disnmooner2013 01-04-2013 06:41 AM

When we go California Grill will be closed. I vote for Narcoossee's or take a boat ride to Wilderness Lodge for the all you can eat skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe; or dinner at the signature restaurant Artist Point.