The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The College Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   The Official 2013 Fall/Fall Advantage Thread!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040848)

Wishes Count 01-03-2013 02:22 PM

The Official 2013 Fall/Fall Advantage Thread!!
 
Hey everyone,

I've seen a few posts here and there asking about the 2013 Fall programs so I figured we should start one of these to get to know each other and follow along throughout the application process, ask questions if need be etc!

So Introduce yourself!

I'm Kate. I am a senior at Penn State University double majoring in Advertising/PR and Sociology. I have a minor in Recreation, Park and Tourism Management and I am finally graduating in MAY :woohoo:

I did Hospitality at Pop Century for Spring Advantage 2010 and returned for a Summer Alumni Program in 2011 where I did Merchandise at EPCOT, Mousegear. I went seasonal after my program but separated from the company in June because I knew I would not complete my hours needed.

I am also applying for Professional Internships. It is my dream to do Guest Relations! but there are probably many other Alumni Only one I want as well as positions in Advertising, Marketing or PR. :wizard:

SecondStar2TheRight 01-04-2013 01:13 AM

Hi!
My name is Taylor and I'm currently a freshman at the community college in my town in Texas; I'm studying psychology right now, hoping to transfer to a university and eventually major in psychology and minor in marine biology.
This is the first time I will even be eligible for the College Program since I'm only 17, but will turn 18 before it actually starts.

Also, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic- do you, or anyone else who ventures into this thread, know anyone who has had a medical condition like mine do the CP? I'm a little bit nervous that it will restrain me.

disneyfan'08 01-04-2013 08:30 AM

Hi Katie, I can't believe you go to Penn State. My name is Ashlie and I'm also a senior at Penn State! :wave2: I'm double-majoring in Human Development and Family Studies and Biobehavioral Health. I'll be finally graduating in August so I'm applying for the Fall program.

I'm pretty sure one of my top choices in the hospitality role. I'm also strongly considering applying for concierge, merchandise, recreation, and maybe character attendant? Still kind of undecided on which roles will be my top 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondStar2TheRight (Post 47075803)
Hi!
Also, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic- do you, or anyone else who ventures into this thread, know anyone who has had a medical condition like mine do the CP? I'm a little bit nervous that it will restrain me.

I don't know of anyone that did the program with Type 1 Diabetes, but I know of people that did it with other chronic illnesses. I'll be doing the CP with a different chronic illness. I'm also a little nervous about how my body will handle the CP, but I know that I really want this so I'm going for it and hoping for the best. pixiedust:

Disney doesn't require disclosure so it's up to you if you want to tell your coordinators or not. I heard that Disney is really good at accommodating people with different medical needs.

Wishes Count 01-04-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Also, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic- do you, or anyone else who ventures into this thread, know anyone who has had a medical condition like mine do the CP? I'm a little bit nervous that it will restrain me.

Yes, I can help! I have Crohn's Disease which is an autoimmune disorder. Disney is very accommodating but you need do some paperwork. Once you are accepted there will be medical accommodation documents online for you to download. They are VERY comprehensive and ask a lot of questions. I personally filled most of it out and then just had my doctor sign it, as it was about 12 pages long!

I don't know what type of accommodation you need, but one of mine is working in a climate controlled environment and taking a 10 minute break every 2 hours. So it would restrain me from some roles, like being a lifeguard for example, And some locations, like I did Merchandise, but I worked at a store that was all inside.


After you fax them the paperwork, they review it and someone should contact you from HR. It is important that you do this as early as possible. My first program I did everything correctly and my accommodations were approved on Jan 13th, but when I got there in Feb, my managers had no idea what I was talking about. The location and role I was in could not accommodate me and I had to change roles.

The second time I did my program, the person from HR called me about a month before and told me where I was going to be working and I was able to ask questions about the location to make sure I would be able to be accommodated. She was able to find out the answers and make sure I would be able to work there.

Your leaders/coordinators will all know that you have accommodations, but wont know the reason unless you tell them.

As for the living/housing component, If you have a handle on your condition and have been living with it for sometime I'm sure you will be fine. Just be open with your roommates. I'd also ask your doctor if they have any colleagues in the Orlando area in case something happens and you need medical assistance.

If you have more questions about the accommodation process, or anything just let me know!:)

Wishes Count 01-04-2013 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=disneyfan'08;47077162]Hi Katie, I can't believe you go to Penn State. My name is Ashlie and I'm also a senior at Penn State! :wave2: I'm double-majoring in Human Development and Family Studies and Biobehavioral Health. I'll be finally graduating in August so I'm applying for the Fall program.

Hey Ashlie! Nice to meet another Nittany Lion! Send me a request on FB http://www.facebook.com/kate.leigh.75 Also I saw you have a chronic illness, as I mentioned above I have an autoimmune disorder, if you have questions or concerns about doing the program maybe I can answer some of them. You could message me on FB about it :)

khancock 01-04-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondStar2TheRight (Post 47075803)
Also, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic- do you, or anyone else who ventures into this thread, know anyone who has had a medical condition like mine do the CP? I'm a little bit nervous that it will restrain me.

60,000 people work at Walt Disney World. There are people working there with medical conditions.

My roommate was diabetic. She had no issues.

Before someone goes down, Disney asks them to complete a medical accommodation form. this is used for both housing and workplace accomodations.

Time Traveler 01-04-2013 05:37 PM

Hey, my name is Zack, and I'm currently working on an Associate's in Business Administration at a community college. Once I finish here, I'm planning on transferring to a university (most likely Christopher Newport) to major in accounting and/or management.

Assuming I get accepted and complete the normal college program, I'm planning to apply for some professional internships a few years later.

My top 3 role choices are concierge, vacation planning, and hospitality. I grew up an hour away from Orlando and I know quite a bit about the various attractions in Central Florida, so I feel as if I'd be best in concierge (though apparently it's one of the hardest positions to get).

Tamara88 01-04-2013 05:53 PM

New
 
Hello everyone, I'm rather nervous about my fall endeavor. I've never been far from home without someone from my family. I also have already earned my bachelors and masters! :confused3 i never had the time to apply before and I'm hoping that I will be some of those lucky thousand!

SecondStar2TheRight 01-05-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 (Post 47077162)
I don't know of anyone that did the program with Type 1 Diabetes, but I know of people that did it with other chronic illnesses. I'll be doing the CP with a different chronic illness. I'm also a little nervous about how my body will handle the CP, but I know that I really want this so I'm going for it and hoping for the best. pixiedust:

Disney doesn't require disclosure so it's up to you if you want to tell your coordinators or not. I heard that Disney is really good at accommodating people with different medical needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishes Count (Post 47079334)
Yes, I can help! I have Crohn's Disease which is an autoimmune disorder. Disney is very accommodating but you need do some paperwork. Once you are accepted there will be medical accommodation documents online for you to download. They are VERY comprehensive and ask a lot of questions. I personally filled most of it out and then just had my doctor sign it, as it was about 12 pages long!

I don't know what type of accommodation you need, but one of mine is working in a climate controlled environment and taking a 10 minute break every 2 hours. So it would restrain me from some roles, like being a lifeguard for example, And some locations, like I did Merchandise, but I worked at a store that was all inside.


After you fax them the paperwork, they review it and someone should contact you from HR. It is important that you do this as early as possible. My first program I did everything correctly and my accommodations were approved on Jan 13th, but when I got there in Feb, my managers had no idea what I was talking about. The location and role I was in could not accommodate me and I had to change roles.

The second time I did my program, the person from HR called me about a month before and told me where I was going to be working and I was able to ask questions about the location to make sure I would be able to be accommodated. She was able to find out the answers and make sure I would be able to work there.

Your leaders/coordinators will all know that you have accommodations, but wont know the reason unless you tell them.

As for the living/housing component, If you have a handle on your condition and have been living with it for sometime I'm sure you will be fine. Just be open with your roommates. I'd also ask your doctor if they have any colleagues in the Orlando area in case something happens and you need medical assistance.

If you have more questions about the accommodation process, or anything just let me know!:)

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by khancock (Post 47080615)
60,000 people work at Walt Disney World. There are people working there with medical conditions.

My roommate was diabetic. She had no issues.

Before someone goes down, Disney asks them to complete a medical accommodation form. this is used for both housing and workplace accomodations.

I realize that a lot of people with medical conditions work there, I guess I should have worded my question differently. I meant more of personal experience- how they handled it, hardships, etc. :blush:
Thanks for the help, too.

Ravenscroft 01-05-2013 05:20 PM

Hey everyone! My name's Beth and I go to a state college in New York. I'm majoring in computer art with a concentrations in digital paint and animation. I want to do the Fall program but..to be honest I'm super nervous and scared.

I think the role I want the most is attractions. I'd love to do GMR or Jungle Cruise because spieling would be super fun for me, but there are a lot of other attractions I'd love to work at too.

jenniy122 01-05-2013 11:31 PM

Hello! :wave2: I'm Jen, I'm graduating from Columbia College Chicago this semester, so this is my one and only chance to do the CP. I'm hoping to do costuming, as that's what I'm majoring in, but attractions sounds like fun too. I'm worried only because working for Disney is my dream job and I've wanted to do this for 6 years now, and I just really want it.

charliebartlett 01-06-2013 12:38 AM

Hi guys! :) My name is Ali, and I'm currently a sophomore tackling my general education courses at my local community college, with hopes to transfer to a four year school to major in Marketing and Public Relations. I've been dreaming and planning to do the DCP for the past 3 years, and now that 2013 is here, I can't believe it's all happening!

Ideally, I would love to work in Merchandising - guest interaction is a must for me! Though I wouldn't mind accepting a role in PhotoPass, Hospitality, or Attractions either.

DisneyGinger 01-06-2013 12:45 AM

Hi everyone! :wave2: I'm Jess and I go to a small private school in Virginia.

I am a senior Theatre Performance major and Communication Studies minor. I am graduating this May (yes!) so this is my only chance to apply for the program.

I'm hoping to apply for Fall Advantage and my top 3 choices are Attractions (Jungle Cruise), Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Hostess, and Character Attendant.

:banana:

CaptainKat 01-06-2013 03:27 PM

Hi! I'm Kat, and I'm a senior (graduating in May, finally!) at Smith College with a double major in Engineering and Theatre. My theatre concentration is design, but it is my dream to be a performer.

I'm still unsure of whether I'm applying for Fall or Fall Advantage (there is a summer equity theatre up here that I worked with this past summer and may be working for again, we'll see), but I know I'll have to decide soon!

My dream role would be as a character performer, but I know that as an overweight gal, my chances are slim to none there. I'd be happy in just about any role, but am particularly interested in Attractions, PhotoPass, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Hostess, and Costuming.

I'm super excited for applications to come out, and I really hope I get in, as it's my only chance of doing the program. I had to wait until I graduated to participate because my school doesn't recognize the CP and wouldn't let me take a semester off and come back.

leeg229 01-06-2013 04:11 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Gerry and I have an AS in Business Administration. I'm currently attending Stockton College majoring in Marketing. I'm an alumni of the CP spring adv 2012 merch.
To everyone who is nervous or scared about leaving home, just know I was the same way. But after I got down there I made so many great friends I honestly never had time to be homesick. Plus skyping with my family once in a while helped a lot.

My top three choices for roles change every few days but as of right now they are Merch, attractions, and recreation.

Quote:

Also, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic- do you, or anyone else who ventures into this thread, know anyone who has had a medical condition like mine do the CP? I'm a little bit nervous that it will restrain me.
My best friend on the program had crohn's disease and the leaders were very accommodating and understanding. I had to drive her to the hospital one time but besides that she had no problems. Like the previous poster said just give everyone important like your leaders and roommates and your significant other a heads up and you're good. You'll find everyone is very understanding. As long as you know how to handle your condition you'll have no problems.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.