The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   problems cooking dried beans (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040428)

kellia 01-02-2013 07:40 PM

problems cooking dried beans

Help! I keep trying to use dried beans for use in chili and other soups that will cook all day in a crock pot. But when the meal is done, they are either crunchy or mushy. SIGH!!

gardengalB4 01-02-2013 07:52 PM

The beans need to be soaked in water overnight,drained,rinsed & then put in the crockpot to cook all day....I cook them on low.

Soben 01-02-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellia (Post 47061727)
Help! I keep trying to use dried beans for use in chili and other soups that will cook all day in a crock pot. But when the meal is done, they are either crunchy or mushy. SIGH!!

Also, if they're old, they will take f--o--r--e--v--e--r to cook. I just cook them forever, but it can be frustrating. You can try soaking and then freezing, helps break down the cell walls.

If they're newer or fresher, and you soak them and cook them for a few hours, you shouldn't have trouble.

If you don't want to soak, you're looking at 6-8 hours in the crock pot. That's how I make pinto beans for refried.

msp2mco 01-02-2013 08:13 PM

Also, don't soak them with salt because that can prevent them from softening. If possible, soak them and cook them in a regular pot and add them to the slow cooker toward the end of cooking so you know they are the texture you would prefer.

AlaskaMOM 01-02-2013 08:23 PM

Also do not add any acidic ingredients (tomatoes) until the beans are soft. As the acid will not allow them to soften any more.

gardengalB4 01-02-2013 08:52 PM

I have also dumped in a can of coke when I throw everything in the crockpot....DH likes this:confused3

lizabu 01-02-2013 09:23 PM

If you put any salt in they will never get soft.

bumbershoot 01-02-2013 10:05 PM

This is some good information! I never knew all of this.

North of Mouse 01-02-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizabu (Post 47062925)

Yep, one of the first things I remember my mom teaching me ::yes::

pigletto 01-02-2013 10:33 PM

Well you learn something new every day! I have never successfully made a recipe with dried beans and gave up. I am sure I have salted the water or used bouillon that contains a lot of salt and I bet that is my problem with soups! My sister and I both like to cook and had given up on them after a disgusting lentil soup. I am willing to give it another try:thumbsup2

limace 01-02-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizabu

This actually isn't true-though I believed it for years. The folks at America's Test Kitchen now recommend brining beans in salt water for extra flavor.

http://m.lifehacker.com/5906564/brin...or-and-texture

clm10308 01-02-2013 11:17 PM

The altitude at which you live can also have an impact. I moved from sea level to 6500 ft and had to learn to cook some things all over again. Dry beans take forever to cook here and that is on the stove. It would take days to cook them in a crockpot if it would even work at all.

Readerbug 01-03-2013 12:37 AM

And even when I do all these things, sometimes beans still don't get 'ready' when I want them to, especially when using a roaster or a crock pot to cook a lot of them.

I think there's a "Bean finger" just like there's a green thumb. And I don't have it. I do think I have low heat crockpots. And I learned when I want beans, I have to think long term. I make a big batch way before, days before I want them, when I am under no time pressure and they can cook as long as they darn please, then divide them up into can-size portions and freeze. Then add them into what ever needs them, the day of.

(But I too, experimented after cooking beans without salt for years, (I had many hispanic neighbors who only made refried from beans from scratch, and they always added salt at the beginning of the soak...??) I learned I could pre salt beans and still get them soft- so it wasn't the salt that was holdn 'em back.

I think some bagged beans are Verrrrrry Old. Because most people use cans, and they sit on the shelf a lot. Cooking up into beans that have totally shed their wrinkly skins is a clue. But they are still good to eat. Just harder to cook.

Dry Beans are hardcore budget stuff. I think there ought to be a "Bean Badge" avatar for all you who are drybean green thumbs, and an "Earning my Beans" for all us still practicing! Those with badges are seriously :) saving for Disney.

Princess Disney Mom 01-03-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskaMOM
Also do not add any acidic ingredients (tomatoes) until the beans are soft. As the acid will not allow them to soften any more.

Yes. This is a big factor. Put the tomato last.

pampam 01-03-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readerbug (Post 47064250)
And even when I do all these things, sometimes beans still don't get 'ready' when I want them to, especially when using a roaster or a crock pot to cook a lot of them.

I think there's a "Bean finger" just like there's a green thumb. And I don't have it. I do think I have low heat crockpots. And I learned when I want beans, I have to think long term. I make a big batch way before, days before I want them, when I am under no time pressure and they can cook as long as they darn please, then divide them up into can-size portions and freeze. Then add them into what ever needs them, the day of.

(But I too, experimented after cooking beans without salt for years, (I had many hispanic neighbors who only made refried from beans from scratch, and they always added salt at the beginning of the soak...??) I learned I could pre salt beans and still get them soft- so it wasn't the salt that was holdn 'em back.

I think some bagged beans are Verrrrrry Old. Because most people use cans, and they sit on the shelf a lot. Cooking up into beans that have totally shed their wrinkly skins is a clue. But they are still good to eat. Just harder to cook.

Dry Beans are hardcore budget stuff. I think there ought to be a "Bean Badge" avatar for all you who are drybean green thumbs, and an "Earning my Beans" for all us still practicing! Those with badges are seriously :) saving for Disney.

I soak my beans overnight, drain the water, and cook till just soft, not mushy. Then I freeze the beans in 2 cup baggies, and use when a recipe calls for canned beans. It is far, far, cheaper than canned beans.