The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is Island Tour in Grand Cayman worth it? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040034)

rzin 01-02-2013 10:25 AM

Is Island Tour in Grand Cayman worth it?
 
We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman. We'd love to do an excursion - either the Island Tour and snorkeling with Stingrays at Stingray City or Rum Point Beach and Stingray City Snorkel.
I should also note that for our excursion in Cozumel we'll likely do the Fury Catamaran and Beach Party...so we'll already have time at a beach. It's not imperative for us to have beach time at both excursions.
Main point I'm wondering about - Has anyone been on this Island Tour at Grand Cayman? Is it worth it? Are you basically stuck on the bus the entire time or do you have time to do some shopping and such? :confused3 Trying to decide which excursion would be a better use of time at GC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!! :cool1:

misndug 01-20-2013 08:04 PM

I was wondering the same thing. We were wanting to make sure we get to do some shopping at one of the ports and thought the island tour might be a good option.

DavidCidra 01-22-2013 08:48 AM

I depends
 
Hi, It all depends on your age...it can get boring and the island is pretty small.
I would go 100% to a Stingray City trip and come back in time for shopping.
The tour takes you to some really boring places like "Hell" there is absolutely nothing to see there. Depending on witch company you go, they will stop at tortuga rum factory witch is the best thing on the tour as you can get some free samples of the rum cake :thumbsup2
On the sea side, you can't see the beach as there are too many condominiums, just at the public beach you will see the water.
I would re-think about it.
That is just my personal opinion.

Justacruiser 01-22-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzin (Post 47055680)
We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman. We'd love to do an excursion - either the Island Tour and snorkeling with Stingrays at Stingray City or Rum Point Beach and Stingray City Snorkel.
I should also note that for our excursion in Cozumel we'll likely do the Fury Catamaran and Beach Party...so we'll already have time at a beach. It's not imperative for us to have beach time at both excursions.
Main point I'm wondering about - Has anyone been on this Island Tour at Grand Cayman? Is it worth it? Are you basically stuck on the bus the entire time or do you have time to do some shopping and such? :confused3 Trying to decide which excursion would be a better use of time at GC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!! :cool1:

The Grand Cayman tour is not for the young at heart. You are on the bus 90% of the time. You do drive along the coast but there is no adventure. There is a stop for about 15 minutes to take pictures, but that's pretty much the size of it.

kcashner 01-22-2013 10:01 AM

We did the island tour thru Captain Marvin's. The highlight of the tour is the turtle farm (30-45 minutes, which is enough). We stopped at Hell (basically a rock formation and gift shops), 7 Mile Beach (10 minute photo stop), a rum place with free samples (10-15 minutes) and the Governor's house (5 minutes). On the way back, we were offered a drop off at one of the main beaches (our choice which) or the tender port. Cost was $30 per adult...which is the same as the turtle farm on an "on your own" basis.

Worth it--yes. WOuld I do it again? No. Once was fine, more not necessary. Our guide was great and talked about island history, caught iguanas for the kids to see/touch, etc.

ChrizJen 01-22-2013 10:33 AM

We're thinking of doing this excursion. But DCL's description doesn't include Tortuga Rum Factory. We want to make sure that the tour we take includes Tortuga. Anyone know specifically how to make sure that's included?

ETA, Kcashner...I just noticed you said Captain Marvin's had the Rum stop on their tour. Maybe we'll try that.

kristieboyd 01-22-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzin (Post 47055680)
We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman.

We're on the same cruise! :cool1:

We decided to go with the early (7:45) Shipwreck and Reef Snorkeling excursion for DH, DD (17) and DS (7) while little DS (4) & I stay on the boat. The excursion should be over by 11-11:30, leaving us time to do some shopping & exploring as a family afterwards.

scrapbookmomma74 01-22-2013 11:09 AM

We LOVE the "Island Tour with Stingrays" offered through DCL. Yes, you will be on a bus for a time, quick driving tour past the Governor's house and some other historical things. Then, a stop at "Hell" to take some photos. But then, to the turtle farm, which is so fun! (Our kids loved when the guide handed them some baby sea turtles to hold).
After about an hour there (I recommend grabbing something to eat to go), we took a quick bus ride to the dock where we got on a boat to head out to the Stingray Sandbar.
There will be water and lemonade available, but no food, hence the food recommendation at the turtle farm.
The ride to the sandbar is about 30 minutes. Then, about 45 -60 minutes in the water at the sandbar and a 30 minute ride back.
We have done this one 3 times and have not been disappointed.

kristieboyd 01-22-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 (Post 47271128)
We LOVE the "Island Tour with Stingrays" offered through DCL.

I really wish we could do this tour, but our youngest is 4. I wish they would allow little ones to go along on the tours but stay on the boat with a parent. We'd be just fine watching the snorkeling!

NWDAD 01-22-2013 12:15 PM

One more vote for the City Tour and Stingray City. The tour was a great to have a good overview and history of the island. Swimming with the Rays was fantastic. Would do it again in a heart beat. There were a lot of little kids that stayed on the boat.

Kevin.

Husurdady 01-22-2013 04:34 PM

It was nice and than our tour guide drove all of us to HELL. :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

su_A_ve 01-22-2013 04:36 PM

Kids (teens) want to visit "Hell" - but that's about it - so would be better off getting a cab?

Also on the 2/11 'sweetheart' cruise...

lbgraves 01-22-2013 04:41 PM

It depends on how much you pay for it honestly. We got off the ship there and took an island tour that went to Hell, the rum factory and the dolphin place where we were able to stand at the gate around the pool where the dolphins were and they came up to where we were. The guy was charging $20 pp at the gate of the port, $15 a block down the street & $10 pp across the street. It was definitely interesting for $30 for the three of us. Took 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The driver had a good personality and told us the history of the island and different buildings we were driving by.

su_A_ve 01-22-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 47274753)
It depends on how much you pay for it honestly. We got off the ship there and took an island tour that went to Hell, the rum factory and the dolphin place where we were able to stand at the gate around the pool where the dolphins were and they came up to where we were. The guy was charging $20 pp at the gate of the port, $15 a block down the street & $10 pp across the street. It was definitely interesting for $30 for the three of us. Took 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The driver had a good personality and told us the history of the island and different buildings we were driving by.

Wow - I'm in for that! Kids want to do something quick but then want to go back to the ships - DW and I will probably shop some... Not planing on a whole day thing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.