The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help with Old Key West (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039362)

scottmel 01-01-2013 09:09 AM

Help with Old Key West

STayed here maybe 6 years ago and loved it!! Since then we have been BWI, YC fans but are returning to OKW this summer for a few nights.

I do recall from one of my OKW stays a horrible room/building we had that I felt like I was on the Indy 500 with cars, buses - traffic. It was awful. Anyone know what section this is so I can avoid it?

I will have a rental car so bus service/location stops not a worry. But b/c of knee issues I need either ground floor or building with an elevator. Are all rooms renovated? A newer room is really important. I can't seem to find a thread on OKW unless I am looking in the wrong area. All advice appreciated. T hanks!

MEK 01-01-2013 10:07 AM

When I stayed there last December I remember that there was a section of Miller's Rd that runs along Bonnet Creek. It sounded loud there in the morning when I was out for my run.

I stayed near the Hospitality House and loved that location. Those villas have elevators.

Karabee 01-01-2013 10:18 AM

Isn't it a great resort? :) I'm guessing you are talking about avoiding the main road within the resort although that has never bothered me. My suggestion would also be to look carefully on the map and avoid those building that are close to Buena Vista Drive or Bonnet Creek Parkway. There are a few rooms that look out to those streets and although there are some trees to block what they can, I can only think the constant buses on those streets would get old. Have a great time!

DebbieB 01-01-2013 10:40 AM

My favorite OKW buildings that I've stayed in are 32, 37, 43. All are interior, not near an outside road. I requested water view and all had nice views.

mimmi 01-01-2013 10:44 AM

We were in 46 last November, an awesome location for somebody with a rental car. It's right at the river, so we had the most beautiful water view (I'm not sure it that was an upgrade as we had booked a standard view :confused3), we were even able to watch the boats going to Downtown Disney.
It was very quiet and relaxing.

beccasmom 01-01-2013 11:02 AM

Miller Road units would likely have some highway noise. The Hospitality area units are wonderfully convenient, but you may possibly hear some bus traffic in some units.

Buildings 62-64 are the only ones with elevators and I believe are mainly used by those with medical issues or those who use wheelchairs.

Turtle Pond is a pretty quiet area. You can request a first floor unit at any of the areas.

You will never completely be isolated from the bus traffic, but some areas are noisier than others. I can't say noise has ever been a big issue for us in any unit and we've stayed there dozens of times.

SueM in MN 01-01-2013 11:11 AM

You will find a lot more about any of the DVC resorts on the Disney Vacation Club Boards.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimmi (Post 47045821)
We were in 46 last November, an awesome location for somebody with a rental car. It's right at the river, so we had the most beautiful water view (I'm not sure it that was an upgrade as we had booked a standard view :confused3), we were even able to watch the boats going to Downtown Disney.
It was very quiet and relaxing.

This is a link to the OKW map.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

There are several areas where the buses turn around - one is between building 20 and 21. We stay in those buildings frequently and don't have any problem with the noise, but if you are very sensitive to noise, you may want to avoid those areas.

Buildings 62-64 are the only ones with elevators. Those are quite in demand because of their location as well as the elevators..
First floor requests are usually not a problem. Most buildings are only 2 floors (unless you are in a Grand Villa), so even without any request, you have nearly a 50/50 chance of getting first floor. Make first floor your first request and let them know it is for medical reasons.

OKW does not have different view categories - unlike some resorts, there are not undesirable views like parking lot views. The buildings are arranged so the parking/roads are in the front of the building where you enter. Windows and porches are on the back, so views from the windows are golf course, water (river or lake) or green space. ALL of those are standard view, which is the only view category.

The only categories are Hospitality House, which are the buildings closest to Hospitality House (except for 62-64) and everything else.

scottmel 01-01-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueM in MN (Post 47046080)
You will find a lot more about any of the DVC resorts on the Disney Vacation Club Boards.
This is a link to the OKW map.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

There are several areas where the buses turn around - one is between building 20 and 21. We stay in those buildings frequently and don't have any problem with the noise, but if you are very sensitive to noise, you may want to avoid those areas.

Buildings 62-64 are the only ones with elevators. Those are quite in demand because of their location as well as the elevators..
First floor requests are usually not a problem. Most buildings are only 2 floors (unless you are in a Grand Villa), so even without any request, you have nearly a 50/50 chance of getting first floor. Make first floor your first request and let them know it is for medical reasons.

OKW does not have different view categories - unlike some resorts, there are not undesirable views like parking lot views. The buildings are arranged so the parking/roads are in the front of the building where you enter. Windows and porches are on the back, so views from the windows are golf course, water (river or lake) or green space. ALL of those are standard view, which is the only view category.

The only categories are Hospitality House, which are the buildings closest to Hospitality House (except for 62-64) and everything else.

Thanks Sue! I am really worried about this now. Would i be better off to NOT be booked in the hospitality house category and simply state "1st floor unit or any unit in bldg with elevator" but I dont want a crazy noisy section...Or would my current booking category of Near HH be ok but I will add " 1st floor unit due to medical reasons". I cannot be stuck on the 2nd or 3rd floor. I would love the 62 - 64 section but fear if I simply request this they will just toss me anywhere if nothing is available...Worst of it is I get in at 9 pm at night so I can just see having zero selection choice.

SueM in MN 01-01-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmel (Post 47047166)
Thanks Sue! I am really worried about this now. Would i be better off to NOT be booked in the hospitality house category and simply state "1st floor unit or any unit in bldg with elevator" but I dont want a crazy noisy section...Or would my current booking category of Near HH be ok but I will add " 1st floor unit due to medical reasons". I cannot be stuck on the 2nd or 3rd floor. I would love the 62 - 64 section but fear if I simply request this they will just toss me anywhere if nothing is available...Worst of it is I get in at 9 pm at night so I can just see having zero selection choice.

Hospitality House is a booking category, not a request.

So, your request would be "First Floor for Medical Reasons".
Most of the buildings have only 2 floors. The exceptions are:
1) Buildings 62-64, which do have elevators, but are not in the Hospitality House booking category.

2) The buildings with Grand Villas, where the GV starts on 2nd floor and the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are on third floor.

DebbieB 01-02-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmel (Post 47047166)

What size room do you have? Most of the studios & 1 bedrooms are on the first or second floor. I would do online check-in.