The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Texting from the ship (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039324)

Disney's Fan 01-01-2013 07:42 AM

Texting from the ship

Is there a way to have my phone set to only receive texts/calls while on the ship (using the Cellular at Sea, I assume) and then switch it back to data once at port? I have international roaming for the port days, but since we're traveling without the kids, I want to be able to receive texts from them especially on our at sea day. It's a verizon iphone. Thanks for your help!

over50visits 01-01-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney's Fan (Post 47044536)
Is there a way to have my phone set to only receive texts/calls while on the ship (using the Cellular at Sea, I assume) and then switch it back to data once at port? I have international roaming for the port days, but since we're traveling without the kids, I want to be able to receive texts from them especially on our at sea day. It's a verizon iphone. Thanks for your help!

I know it's not the answer your seek, but since you have an iPhone you can text to other iphones without any cellular service. You do need wifi, so you could rent some minutes onboard, connect to wifi, then text away

Disney's Fan 01-01-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply! Makes me wish my kids had iPhones! Unfortunately, they don't, so if anybody else has information on texting please chime in! :) thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Juney 01-01-2013 01:41 PM

You do not need wifi minutes to send and receive texts. The only charges are from Verizon. .05 to receive and .50 to send.

eculmone 01-01-2013 01:51 PM

:confused3 We r from Canada and I have extra phones. We had read that if you unlock them for aprox $10 each then buy in the states at any Target, Best Buy a disposable SIM card - for aprox $10 for 30 day period we can talk and text each other while on vacation... but you can't text each other on the ship? :confused3

TwingleMomFl 01-01-2013 02:13 PM

Why not use the wave phones for texting and communicating on the ship?

eculmone 01-01-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwingleMomFl (Post 47047871)
Why not use the wave phones for texting and communicating on the ship?

Friend of mine just returned from trip and she said they were difficult to understand and when they finally figured them out her daughter would never reply....

Also heading to Universal Studios so thought if we only had to learn one techy tool we'd be good. :confused3

Dream_2011 01-01-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney's Fan (Post 47044536)

I work as a customer service on one of the bigger carrier, and my personal opinion is crazy ridiculous de pice for texting before you leave call you carrier can you cold add 50 international texting for 10.00 sometime the carrier have difference price. If you have a smart phone turn the airplane mode and no data, message or calling will. So you don't have to pay xtra money , believe me I learn the hard way, my first time that I went I a cruise I leave my cel off and all the call that came tru my voicemail my carrier charge for 5 call almost 80.00 because it went to difference tower.

gumbypee 01-01-2013 02:31 PM

Wave phones were awesome! Not difficult to use at all! But I think OP kids are not in ship so wave phones won't help her :)

Disney's Fan 01-01-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies! Is there a phone setting that allows texts and calls only? From my research on this board it looked like cellular at sea is the only option when not in port, and those charges are different/separate from my international data plan. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works at sea? I just don't want to get all my emails when I'm not in port and have to pay extra for those since none will be from my kids, and that's all I'm really wanting to get! :) thanks!

mae5731 01-01-2013 04:18 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but couldn't you just change your email setting under settings/email to fetch new data = off? That's how I have my iPhone set up and emails don't come in unless I touch the email button.

Juney 01-01-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney's Fan
Thanks for the replies! Is there a phone setting that allows texts and calls only?

Yes. It is in your settings. On my DROID it is Settings-data usage-turn "mobile data" to off. The iPhone is similar. This turns off any auto updates (like weather apps), downloads, email, etc.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

NCConch 01-01-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream_2011
my first time that I went I a cruise I leave my cel off and all the call that came tru my voicemail my carrier charge for 5 call almost 80.00 because it went to difference tower.

Huh? You got charged with your phone off? I am looking forward to unplugging for a few days.

Nikisha421 01-01-2013 08:16 PM

Yes cell at sea charges everytimemyou turn the phone back on even if you don't answer the call or respond to the text bc it is on a different countries tower...I too learned the hard way

Disney's Fan 01-01-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mae5731 (Post 47049101)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but couldn't you just change your email setting under settings/email to fetch new data = off? That's how I have my iPhone set up and emails don't come in unless I touch the email button.

Thanks! That's helpful information! :thumbsup2