The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Recent Miami cruisers... Where are you? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039240)

moomy-san 12-31-2012 10:33 PM

Recent Miami cruisers... Where are you?

So the first Miami sailing has returned- and no one has checked in? I'm going crazy!! I have questions and they have the answers!
Heeeeelllllllpppppp!!!!

fredgirls 01-01-2013 07:59 AM

:rotfl:
popcorn::

neg58 01-01-2013 09:57 AM

What do you need to know?

Nancy

nicolet 01-01-2013 10:27 AM

Hotel stay before the good and bad?
Dis transportation did you use it?

Embark and disbark as easy as in Port Canaveral?

moomy-san 01-01-2013 11:00 AM

How was the embarkation? Organized or chaos? Was the Castaway Club line busy? (Some say from PC it's sometimes better to go through the first time cruiser line because CC line is so busy)
Was there Miami specific merchandise on board?

bahacca 01-01-2013 11:10 AM

I came to post this very thing!

If it was the 4 night (KW, Nassau and CC), was there a Palo brunch at all with no sea day?
What was the dining room assignment pattern? ABCA, ABBC, etc
What night is Pirate night?
Did they have any wine/tequila/other alcohol tastings?

cwdefouw 01-01-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahacca (Post 47046065)
I came to post this very thing!

If it was the 4 night (KW, Nassau and CC), was there a Palo brunch at all with no sea day?
What was the dining room assignment pattern? ABCA, ABBC, etc
What night is Pirate night?
Did they have any wine/tequila/other alcohol tastings?

So far they have only run 7 night cruises, the second one left Sunday the 30th. The 5 and 4 night cruises don't start until next week.

neg58 01-01-2013 11:56 AM

Some of the info won't be the same since we were on a 7 night and things were shifted because of Christmas.

First I'll say that the crew was very excited about new ports and Castaway Cay. Some had never been there since the Wonder has been on the west coast/Alaska/Hawaii for awhile.

We live in Florida and drove down. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale the night before. I originally had booked a cruise/park at Coconut Grove, but decided I didn't want to double back to pick up the car at the end of the cruise. We also have a 'need' to shop at Macy's since our town doesn't have one, so we knew we wanted to have time to go somewhere along the way. We shopped and then just drove to Ft. Lauderdale. It was fine. We parked at a lot for $4.50/day on 7th street in Miami. Drove to the port, dropped off the kids and luggage, and then parked, took a shuttle to the port. Parking at the port is very easy, but $20 day. Lot is fenced but in a rather shady area. Only mistake was the shuttle. They made me pay for round trip ($7) but they never showed for pick up and I just took a taxi back ($9). You CAN walk, but it's a long way across the bridge. Disney sails out of 'F' and only one other terminal 'g' is closer to Miami, but still a walk.

The terminal is smaller than Port Canaveral, but just as easy. The CC check in was much faster with only 3-4 groups in front of us. The walk to the ship is much longer.

Pirate night for us was Dec 26 after a day in St. Maartens, but I think that was because they didn't want to do it on Christmas. There were lots of brunches at Palos as we had 3 sea days. Formal night was the 2nd night and semi-formal the second to last, after a sea day.

There was a lot of 2012 and Cruising through Christmas stuff on board. There were all 4 of the Camillia disney charms for sale. I didn't see a lot of special Miami stuff. At the officer's pin trading, the officers had a lot of cool pins from Hawaii and Alaska. I got one that said Wonder and had the Gingerbread house on it.

Because it was the inaugural Miami sailing and Christmas, we receive a lithograph, a set of placemats, and a clock as gifts.

The shows were good except for Toy Story. All the little kids lost it about 40 minutes into the show, and there was a lot of whining.

I found the food in the dining rooms to be very good, and the food in BBB to be awful. Fast food on deck? terrible, except for the coconut/pinapple and mango soft serve ice cream (yum).

They did have the many tastings of liquor, but I didn't go to any. Because it was Christmas, there were fewer of the traditional classes like cooking and drawing. They added towel folding at the last minute.

The port is crazy on disembarking. All ships are lined up, so there are taxis and shuttles going every which way. The luggage comes off like at an airport, with moving, winding belts and you have to grab it. Never had a porter ask if we needed help. Long lines. They called us by character tags to disembark and we waited about 30 minutes after breakfast and then another 30 minutes or so in line. Patience is required.

Nancy

Smbertram 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

I know there is no transportation from WDW, but what about the airports? I haven't invested much time in finding this out, but I guess I should since we leave in 102 days.

neg58 01-01-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smbertram (Post 47046694)
I know there is no transportation from WDW, but what about the airports? I haven't invested much time in finding this out, but I guess I should since we leave in 102 days.

The guy at the port said a taxi to the airport (Mia) was $25 one way. I know there were a ton of shuttles and I think they are about $10/person.

Nancy

Bonniec 01-01-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

We live in Florida and drove down. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale the night before.
Where did you stay?

goeva 01-01-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neg58 (Post 47046528)
Because it was the inaugural Miami sailing and Christmas, we receive a lithograph, a set of placemats, and a clock as gifts.

Thanks for your mini report. Do you have personal navigators or photos to share with us? TIA. :)

neg58 01-01-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonniec (Post 47047044)
Where did you stay?

We just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express right in Ft. Lauderdale by the beach. I thought there would be some hotels by the airport, but I ended up circling around and just saw a few hotels. I asked at the Embassy and they were full, and the next block the Holiday inn Express had a room. I got it for $99 from a very very nice clerk. Breakfast wasn't bad. It took about 40 minutes to get to the port the next morning.

There are a few hotels in downtown Miami for about $150 a night, but usually parking is extra. There are also a lot of hotels by the Miami airport that people use.

Nancy

MrsParr 01-01-2013 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Miami Marriott (used points), but I would recommend the Holiday Inn near the port instead. It was cheaper, and was right across the street from a nice shopping area.

The port was more crowded than the terminal at port canaveral, but the CM's kept things moving along.

Mtkgal 01-02-2013 07:34 AM

What time were you off the ship?