The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Have to return DD's tablet.... suggestions for a new one? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3038827)

Jenny3 12-31-2012 07:01 AM

Have to return DD's tablet.... suggestions for a new one?
 
Got DD9 a tablet from Walmart that is a piece of junk. First time we opened it, it was flickering all over the place. Then the touchscreen stopped working. Now it won't turn on at all even though it's fully charged. :headache:

I spent $99 on it, so I'd like to stay around that price for another one for her. Any suggestions?

Lewisc 12-31-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny3
Got DD9 a tablet from Walmart that is a piece of junk. First time we opened it, it was flickering all over the place. Then the touchscreen stopped working. Now it won't turn on at all even though it's fully charged. :headache:

I spent $99 on it, so I'd like to stay around that price for another one for her. Any suggestions?

$100 is way low for a tablet my suggestion is to forget it, increase your budget or keep what you have. You have exactly what you paid for.
Best deal for under $200 is kindle or knook

bdcp 12-31-2012 08:04 AM

You get what you pay for. Sorry, but $200 is the least you can possibly spend on a halfway decent tablet and even that is a low price. A Kindle fire is a little more limited, but if she wants it for facebook or games, it's perfectly fine.

TnTWalter 12-31-2012 08:09 AM

I bought my DH refurb nook color and rooted it...
 
it is now an android tab. He can surf web read books [kindle app lol] email netflix etc. does not have a camera.

takes a little computer knowledge and patience. And an 8gb microsd card by sandisk.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860


I paid $59 for the nook color before xmas through buy.com ebay site. don't see that right now. Check slickdeals.net periodically. Sometimes you can get a nook tablet too which is newer and can also be rooted.

Good luck.

Aliceacc 12-31-2012 09:10 AM

My kids got Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch tablets for Christmas and haven't put them down! I was lucky enough to get the Student Editions when they were available in late August for $250.

vacationer1954 12-31-2012 09:23 AM

The Kindle Fire looks like the most affordable, quality tablet out there. In terms of your price range, maybe you can get a used one from a friend who recently upgraded?

torinsmom 12-31-2012 09:37 AM

Get a Nook Color. You can download some files onto a mini-SD card and it will then be an android tablet. I love mine. So many free apps and I can read books, browse the web, etc. You can download the BN app and the Kindle App and get books from both places too.

Nook Color for $99
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...0/product.html


Tutorial on how to root the Nook(very easy with step by step instructions)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFGd0MdRJU

wiigirl 12-31-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewisc (Post 47035638)
$100 is way low for a tablet my suggestion is to forget it, increase your budget or keep what you have. You have exactly what you paid for.
Best deal for under $200 is kindle or knook

That would be my suggestion too. If you have to stay around $100 go for craigslist and try to find a nook, kindle fire, or Nexus 7.

RitaE 12-31-2012 11:05 AM

I have a both rooted Nook Color and a Kindle Fire here and I'd really suggest spending the extra $40 for the Kindle Fire.

TnTWalter 12-31-2012 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=torinsmom;47036278]
Nook Color for $99
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...0/product.html


great minds think alike! torismom great price!

OP I can also link you to the instructions I followed if you go this route. I'll have to dig, so if you do something else, I won't waste my time.

Trish

MinnieLovesMickey12 12-31-2012 11:30 AM

Your not going to get a good tablet for $100. The only tablets you can get for $100 are crappy generic wanna be tablets that aren't worth a dime.

I once tried to buy those crappy tablets for my kids and it was a mistake. I took them back and bought them Kindle Fires instead.

A Kindle Fire is $199 but it is an awesome tablet and all 3 of my kids got them for Christmas last year and love them.

If you can't afford to buy the better tablet I would get her something different. Just let her pick something else to spend the $100 on.

You have already seen first hand what a $100 tablet is like.

Straitlover 12-31-2012 11:33 AM

I saw recently where either Acer or Asus (I get them mixed up!) will be putting out a $99 tablet soon. I don't know if the OP wants to wait on that, but I figured I'd mention it. :)

RitaE 12-31-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 (Post 47037256)
Your not going to get a good tablet for $100. The only tablets you can get for $100 are crappy generic wanna be tablets that aren't worth a dime.

I once tried to buy those crappy tablets for my kids and it was a mistake. I took them back and bought them Kindle Fires instead.

A Kindle Fire is $199 but it is an awesome tablet and all 3 of my kids got them for Christmas last year and love them.


If you can't afford to buy the better tablet I would get her something different. Just let her pick something else to spend the $100 on.

You have already seen first hand what a $100 tablet is like.

The Kindle Fire's are now $159 regular price. You can buy the refurbished models for $139.

GoofyGirl75 12-31-2012 12:05 PM

Duplicate post, sorry!

Lewisc 12-31-2012 12:08 PM

I thought the OP was looking to buy a new unit at a B&M store.

I agree with the suggestions for rooting a refurbished Nook. Apple puts a new battery in refurbished units. I don't know what kind of battery life will be left in whatever batteries are in the refurbished units linked by PP


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.