The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP! FQ or POLY (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3038809)

jemmouse 12-31-2012 02:04 AM

HELP! FQ or POLY

I am the most indecisive person even I know....Background, for the past few years we have either stayed FQ or POLY, with the last 2 visits, past 2 years staying at POLY. I LOVE the monorail, the rooms I have to say need need to be refurbished, not worth the DELUXE cost BUT besides the point they are clean, just a throwback. I love the balcony, and overlooking the lake...Pool is CROWDED and not so big, my DS 12 is ok with it.

The FQ, love the small quaint feeling, love the jazz musician, the size of the pool is nice, the SLIDE I feel my son has outgrown it. I know I could walk to Riverside if i needed. I prefer actually the food court at FQ over Poly. But I didn't come to eat so its not a deal breaker. The money I save for staying at FQ, is always a plus..

I tried Contemporary but it is booked, along with Bay Lake. I am not so sure on Grand Floridian. Especially with the construction going on and the closures to the resort area...If you haven't guessed I prefer the Magic Kingdom resorts...

I loved Yacht Club but my son developed a rash from the sand last time we stayed and well the rash wasn't fun, poor kid! Allergies not fun...

Wilderness reminds us of our home town area....Boardwalk yeah not loving the clowns....So doesn't leave much..

So please offer pros/cons to POLY and FQ...Any recent visits...Tell me again why you love those resorts, your thoughts...My poor travel agent is going to ring my neck because I need to book by tomorrow and I don't know which place to stay...

MEK 12-31-2012 04:14 AM

Love the Boardwalk. Thought I would hate the clown, but once I was actually ON the pool deck, it didn't seem that bad. In fact, it was kind of cute. I know - gasp!

It sounds like you have a lot of pros and cons with each of the resorts you are considering, so I guess you just have to decide which has the most pros. I do love POFQ and think its a great resort. The Poly is lovely, too.

If you want to try the Contemp you could just have your TA keep checking for availability. Or try a split stay between the contemp and the Poly.

Good luck with your decision.

Caseheidi 12-31-2012 04:22 AM

We have never stayed at the Poly, but would love to. Have to admit we love FQ, and would return. Another thought is POR? They just refurbished, many of same pros as FQ and less expensive then the Poly. Just a thought.

nancy01 12-31-2012 07:46 AM

We've stayed at both. I really loved both for different reasons. You can't beat being on the monorail at the Poly, especially if you visit MK and EP a lot. My kids preferred the pool at the Poly because of the slide. We also loved watching the fireworks from the Poly beach.

I also prefer the food court at FQ over the one at Poly and the boat to DTD is a nice bonus. Now that they both offer queen beds, I didn't feel that the rooms at Poly were worth the price difference. One annoyance with FQ is the buses, it is really hit or miss.

Our family has outgrown the FQ so we are looking at booking a preferred room at POR for our next trip. I like their pool better for older kids and there is so much to do there like fishing and renting bikes or boats. You can still use the FQ amenities and vice versa.

If money was no object I'd probably still pick Poly, but the price difference is too huge for me to be worth it.

I know how hard it is to make a decision, good luck! And feel free to ask any other questions. We've also stayed at the BC if that helps.

spiceycat 12-31-2012 07:55 AM

would go with POFQ - and wait until the monorail is really fixed to go back to a monorail resort.

being stuck on a monorail is not fun.

even if the bus breaks down - although never remember seeing a WDW bus break down - another will arrive shortly

2girlsR2good 12-31-2012 07:56 AM

We have stayed at, and love, both resorts. For our upcoming trip in March, we are paying for my parents' room too, so we are returning to POFQ. I considered CSR, but went by it during our Christmas trip and decided it wasn't for us. We will love POFQ and have a great time--have reservations for Downtown Disney for our arrival night. Otherwise, though, we don't frequent DD much during our trips.

If money were no object, I'd choose the Poly most of the time. But we are not park commandos--we swim every day and enjoy the balconies in our deluxe resort stays morning and evenings. If I had a quick parks heavy trip planned, I'd save the $$ and go back to POFQ.

mickeynut1 12-31-2012 08:57 AM

We've never stayed at POFQ, but we love the Poly. We love the tropical atmosphere, the large rooms, the beach for watching the fireworks, and Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS. Plus it's very convenient being so close to the GF and CR for a variety of dining and shopping options. With that said, the Poly would be my choice.