The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   W.I.S.H (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 challenge--Everyone Welcome! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037309)

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 07:58 AM

WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 challenge--Everyone Welcome!
 
Let's get this New Year started off right!
Welcome to WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 edition!
Please read the complete instructions in post 2, and then let me know if you have any questions.
The philosophy behind our new challenge: small achievable goals. One month at a time, one week at a time, one day at a time, one bite at a time.
Results will be posted as a % lost (pounds) towards monthly goal.


Weigh in Days--Weight Loss
PM Weight to Rose&Mike
January 1 (starting weight AND pounds lost goal for month; ex 145, goal 5 pounds)
January 5
January 12
January 19
January 26
January 31 (last chance)

Weight Loss Goals:
10%, orange
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
90% red--ALMOST THERE!
100%WISH green


Weigh in Days--Maintainers:
January 1 (pm starting weight, maintain range, and goal for the month; 145, range 141-149, goal 4 weeks)
January 5
January 12
January 19
January 26

Maintainer Goals
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
100%WISH green


Weight Loss Participants:
4HOLIDAYS (Jennifer) 50 %
5 at disney 25 %
50sjayne (Susan) 10 %
alicia080979 100 %
amready2go 35 %
araes2102 93 %
BernardandMissBianca (Buffy) 40 %
Bnb0627 52 %
camnhan (Jen) 134 %
cclovesdis (CC) 2 %
Coffeecassie (Cassie ) 90 %
CollieMom 38 %
ColoradoLime (Emily) 85 %
cruisindisney (Susan) 180 %
D73 (Christopher) 60 %
Desiree 155 %
DisFam95 90 %
dismagiclover (Jenny) 100%
donac (Dona) 105 %
Eliza32 (Eliza) 138 %

elyse43230 31 %
Figment1990 44 %

fitgirl36 (Kristin) 30%
Flossbolna (Magdalene) 80 %
goldcupmom (Julie) 20 %
goofyfigment 104 %
Greenfield1984 (Amy) 138 %

helloirishkitty 45 %
Hrhpd 10 %
jayna22 (Jana) 84 %
jillbur 30 %
JRoglitz 53 %
JVL1018 83 %
Kbella's mom 80 %

KDIPIAZZ 20 %
Khiori 8 %
lisah0711 (Lisa) 60 %
lovetoscrap 60 %

mackeysmom (Laura) 75 %
Mary"Poppins (Fran) 85 %

Meetmeinmontauk 20 %
Melissahac99 32 %
mikamah (Kathy) 138 %
Missypyxi (Missy) 100 %

Mom2aJessieGirl (Christy) 43 %
momofdjc (Reenie) 73 %
njcarita 45 %
penguin1102 88 %
pix13dust (Melinda) 125 %
pjlla (Pamela) 66 %
plutobaby (Kimberly) %
princessbride6205 Nicole 100 %
quicklabs (Laura) 350 %

Rose&Mike (Rose) 48 %
RutgersAlum (Michele) 100 %
Stephd219 (Stephanie) 67 %
StitchIsOurHero (Brooke) %
tarzansmom 150 %
tinkerbye (Victoria) 160 %

Tinker'n'Fun (Diane) 40 %



Maintainer Participants
myweegirls (Liz) 4/4

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 07:58 AM

Welcome to 2013 and WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 Edition
Losers and Maintainers welcome!


Quick overview:
Weigh in days
January 1 (starting weight AND goal for month in pounds)
January 5
January 12
January 19
January 26
January 31 (last chance; does not apply to maintainers)

Pm weights to Rose&Mike

Coaches for January
January 1-9 Rose
January 10-17 Pamela
January 18-24 Emily (ColoradoLime)
January 25-31 LisaH

Future Hosts:
February (LisaH)
March (Pamela)
April (Rose)
May (Dona)

How the challenge works:
After many years of the BL challenge we have decided to shake things up a bit. Change is good, right?

The goal of the new challenge is to meet your weight loss/maintain goals on a monthly basis. Results will be posted as percentages toward goal and your color will change as you approach your goal, similar to the exercise thread on the WISH boards. It is the hope that this new format will encourage some great discussions about weight loss, maintaining, diet, exercise and healthy living!

It is up to the hostess each month as to whether she wants to have coaches/Question of the day, mini-challenges, etc. It is her month, so she can choose to handle it how she wants.

Heres how the new challenge will work. It is going to be a monthly individual challenge. Each month is a new start. You are competing against yourself to meet your goals for the month. No one will know your actual weight (unless you share it) except the hostess for the month. NO GOAL IS TOO SMALL.

Let me repeat: NO GOAL IS TOO SMALL. A loss is a loss is a loss. Your color will change based on your % lost toward goal.

On January 1 you will pm Rose&Mike (hostess for January) your starting weight AND your goal for the month. On the weekend of January 5, 12, 19, 26, and 31 you can pm Rose&Mike an updated weight. On Monday nights the thread will be updated with percentage toward goal.

Here is an example of what the stats will look like.


Updated January 7, 2013
Minnie Mouse 25.00 %
Daisy Duck 12.00 %
Goofy 0.00 %
Donald Duck 33.33 %
Mickey Mouse 40.00 %


Weight Loss Goals:
10%, orange
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
90% red--ALMOST THERE!
100%WISH green

In this case Goofy, put on a few pounds, but that will be reported as 0%. We are not going to call people out, but just report positive moves towards your goal!

Minnie Mouse had a starting weight of 110 with a goal of 4 pounds. At her weigh in she reported a weight of 109 with a percentage loss of 25%.

Your color will change based on your % loss. If you gain, your percentage will decrease, and your color will change, but no one will know your weight except the hostess. Only your % loss toward goal will be reported. Negative percentages will not be reported

Participants (other than the hostess) will not know your pound lost goal or actual weight unless you choose to share it with them.

Maintainers will set a goal for the month of number of weeks they would like to stay in maintain range (+/- 4 pounds).
They will weigh in on the first day of the month and then on each of the weekends. Their results will be reported as percentages along with their goal.

For example:
Pluto 1/4 25%.

Pluto has a goal of maintaining all four weeks. He put on 1 pound at the first weigh in, but is in his maintain range.

Maintainer Goals
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
100%WISH green

It really is pretty simple. Remember, no one will see your weight or pound loss goal except the hostess unless you choose to share it.

Percentage loss will be updated once a week. If you miss sending in your weight over the weekend, no big deal, just send an update the following weekend. Please understand that this is a volunteer job and the hostess will only be updating once a week.

Hopefully I have answered all of your questions.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing everyone meet their healthy living goals!

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 07:59 AM

Reserved 2

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 08:50 AM

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightl...tlossgoals.htm

This new challenge is all about goals! Your goals! I have shared a link about setting goals, but there are many more on the web if you google it.

Setting a weight loss goal can be overwhelming. It is hard at first to know what is attainable, too much, too little etc. And sometimes when we have a big goal in mind it is a little overwhelming.


QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 10:30 AM

QOTD--
I have a goal for January of 3 pounds. I want to set it higher, but I am being realistic, and know that the full marathon the second week in January will complicate things a little bit. My long term goal is to get back to 137 pounds. As of today that is about a 17 pound loss. Which sounds just huge to me.

In 2010 I started the Wish BL challenge with a goal to get down to 150. I did that and surpassed it in 2011, but along the way got sick and had to give up gluten which has been a huge transition for me. I understand that some people can give it up without ever thinking twice about it, but food and cooking are a big deal at our house so it has been a little tough for me. Ok, who am I kidding. We are being honest right? :) I spent most of 2012 pretty depressed and unhappy. I don't think even my friends or the folks I work with realized how bad it had gotten. But I am feeling better and a little more in control. Ready to get back to my lean, mean fighting weight!

Right now I am sitting a few pounds above that initial 150, so my first goal is to get back there.

So to break down my goals:
January--back to 150. (~3-4 pounds)
February--146 (~3-4 pounds)
March--142 (~3-4 pounds)
April--139 (~3-4 pounds)
May--137 (~2-3 pounds)

I am a little frustrated with myself that I put these pounds on YET AGAIN. But, I am catching it early this time and by summer time, I should be comfortably back in my shorts!

Remember, you do not have to share weights with the group if you do not feel comfortable doing so.

You don't even have to set a goal past January if that is too overwhelming right now.

Just try to start breaking things down into small, achievable tasks.:goodvibes

donac 12-28-2012 10:48 AM

I'm in. I will send you info on the 1st.

Desiree 12-28-2012 10:54 AM

I'm in also! :)

Desiree 12-28-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose&Mike (Post 47009835)

QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.
.

January goal.. I'm thinking 4 pounds. I have been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks now and I'm determined to get the scale moving again. I think 4 would be attainable but of course, I'm hoping for more! Long term, I'd love to be at my personal goal weight of 135 but I have a very very long way to go to get there. I'd personally love to see a 75 pound loss in 2013.

myweegirls 12-28-2012 11:44 AM

Count me in as a maintainer! I'm up a few from the crazy December we had, but nothing unmanageable...my immediate goal is to drop those few extras. The WDW half should help with that! :)

XO
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

lovetoscrap 12-28-2012 12:38 PM

:wave2: I'm in!!! Having this WISH group when I lost before was such a great help and inspiration. I think my life is now at a stable enough point that I can successfully dedicate myself to weight loss again, and participate here regularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose&Mike (Post 47009835)
Setting a weight loss goal can be overwhelming. It is hard at first to know what is attainable, too much, too little etc. And sometimes when we have a big goal in mind it is a little overwhelming.


QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.

In the end of 2010 and first half of 2011 I lost 50 pounds. It was a huge accomplishment and the changes that I made I have mostly stuck with me. I have been able to maintain that with about a 5 pound swing up and down. At the lowest I had lost about 58 pounds but that last 8 never really stayed gone long enough for me to consider it a real loss. I have been on the upper end of the 5 pound swing for a while but as of today I am right at that 50 pound loss mark. Seems like a great day to go ahead and get started!

I have IBS and that has actually been really bad the last few weeks so that is really why I have lost the 5 pounds, but I will take it any way I can get it! Instead of overindulging for the holiday there was very little I could eat. I have to basically "reset" my system which makes it a great time to start back on healthy eating.

In the time that I have been away from the WISH board I actually did some research on IBS and found out about a concept called FODMAP-- that our body may not be able to digest many of the natural sugars in our everyday foods-- even the healthy ones. We know about Lactose Intolerance and of course the effect that beans can have on us :crazy2:, but there are different sugars in many foods that cause the same effect. If you have IBS I highly recommend you google and read about it. It has really been life changing for me.

So anyway, back to the question! (yes, I still like to talk a lot!). I have always focused on smaller goals. My total goal is another 30-50 pounds. I am not sure where I will find a good sustainable weight that I feel comfortable with. I think actually losing 50 (where the charts say I should be) would be too much for me. For Jan. I would like to set my goal for 10 pounds but I think that may be unrealistic so I will go with 7 pounds.

Off to go reread my South Beach Diet book. It always inspires me and it never hurts to review the "rules" to insure success!:cheer2:

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donac (Post 47010861)
I'm in. I will send you info on the 1st.

Hi Dona. :) It's nice to see you. I hope you are recovering well from your fall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiree (Post 47011108)
January goal.. I'm thinking 4 pounds. I have been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks now and I'm determined to get the scale moving again. I think 4 would be attainable but of course, I'm hoping for more! Long term, I'd love to be at my personal goal weight of 135 but I have a very very long way to go to get there. I'd personally love to see a 75 pound loss in 2013.

Nice to see you, too!
Hopefully this will be the month to see that scale moving again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myweegirls (Post 47011323)
Count me in as a maintainer! I'm up a few from the crazy December we had, but nothing unmanageable...my immediate goal is to drop those few extras. The WDW half should help with that! :)

XO
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi Liz! Hoping to be re-joining you as a maintainer soon. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoscrap (Post 47011834)
:wave2: I'm in!!! Having this WISH group when I lost before was such a great help and inspiration. I think my life is now at a stable enough point that I can successfully dedicate myself to weight loss again, and participate here regularly.

Off to go reread my South Beach Diet book. It always inspires me and it never hurts to review the "rules" to insure success!:cheer2:

Glad you are getting used to your new schedule. :) I am debating a low carby kind of thing for a couple of weeks, but I am very on the fence about it. I had such a good system when I lost weight in 10/11 which just went out the window with the g-f stuff. Just not sure what I am doing now.

Isn't it funny how one thing will bother someone so much and someone else not at all. I can eat a can of beans a day (as long as they are rinsed) and I feel fabulous. But give me a piece of regular bread or a regular beer and I feel horrid. Hope that ibs flareup settles down soon.:goodvibes

jayna22 12-28-2012 02:00 PM

Count me in! I have gone up and down a lot in the last four years and need something to hold me accountable! I am going to set a goal of five pounds for January. I would do more but I will be traveling for work and eating out quite a bit. Long term goal is 125lbs. :( I will shoot for 75 in 2013.
Thanks!!

Rose&Mike 12-28-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayna22 (Post 47012538)
Count me in! I have gone up and down a lot in the last four years and need something to hold me accountable! I am going to set a goal of five pounds for January. I would do more but I will be traveling for work and eating out quite a bit. Long term goal is 125lbs. :( I will shoot for 75 in 2013.
Thanks!!

No sad faces. :) It is a big goal, but one month at a time, right?
Welcome!

cruisindisney 12-28-2012 04:07 PM

I'm in! I need some motivation. I was down at a great weight and then bursitis set in to my hips and I let it kick me down. I'm back and going to get myself back where I want to be.

jillbur 12-28-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose&Mike (Post 47009835)
http://exercise.about.com/od/weightl...tlossgoals.htm

This new challenge is all about goals! Your goals! I have shared a link about setting goals, but there are many more on the web if you google it.

Setting a weight loss goal can be overwhelming. It is hard at first to know what is attainable, too much, too little etc. And sometimes when we have a big goal in mind it is a little overwhelming.


QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.

Yay! I am in and love this new format. I think this is the change I need to kick it back into gear. Thanks for starting us off, Rose :thumbsup2

I have a few goals in mind. For January, I want to lose 4 pounds. I haven't weighed myself in a couple weeks. I definitely indulged between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Who am I kidding? Probably until New Years. Plus, we were so busy that my exercise took a big hit. So I am ready to get back at it and lose anything that I've gained plus more! My big goal is to go down in jean sizes (from 10/12 to an 8 or 6?). My other goal is to run more 5k's with DS9 and hopefully a 10k for me. It's a big dream to do the Princess Half, so I am hoping for 2014!

DH works midnight (7p-7a) tonight and the next 3 nights. So, while he is at work and sleeping the days away, I plan to get this house organized (since it seems that when mom (me) is sick, laundry doesn't get done lol). I am also planning to get some of my kids presents put away. Then, I am making some lists and goals, short term and long.

I can't wait for a fresh, new year and chatting with all of you!

Jill


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.