The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best to book a Disney Cruise through... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037277)

wildzootv 12-28-2012 02:32 AM

Best to book a Disney Cruise through...

Disney? or some discount online place? Travel agent? Does it matter?

EPCOTatNight 12-28-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildzootv (Post 47009075)
Disney? or some discount online place? Travel agent? Does it matter?

There is NO "discount" online place. Disney cruises can not be discounted. The online difference is the "perks" you can get from booking with a certain company. It is usually a higher onboard credit or a gift card like at Costo.

paddles 12-28-2012 06:16 AM

I'm a big fan of Costco....they give cash cards worth about ~8% of the cruise cost.

Billinaz 12-28-2012 08:37 AM

Another Costco fan. I thought it was more like 10% though...... We get a cash card better than any OBC by at least double.

lanejudy 12-28-2012 09:05 AM

As a PP mentioned, DCL cruises cannot be "discounted." You will pay the same fare regardless of whether you book it yourself with DCL, through AAA or any other travel agent. Pay attention, as some will quote the fare without taxes or fees so it looks less expensive. All special deals are available through any booking method (online or phone directly with DCL or through at TA). Many TAs will offer an onboard credit and/or a "gift" of some sort for doing your business with them - that's where it can be beneficial to use a TA. Also, if you book through a TA all changes or such must be done through the TA as he/she "owns" the reservation; if you like to micromanage your own reservation and be able to make changes yourself, you might not want to use a TA.

~Mandy~ 12-28-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanejudy (Post 47010445)
Also, if you book through a TA all changes or such must be done through the TA as he/she "owns" the reservation; if you like to micromanage your own reservation and be able to make changes yourself, you might not want to use a TA.

That's what I like about Costco, you still own the reservation so you can make your own changes, login and see your info, you receive all the documents. I used Costco and it was no different than if I had booked on my own, with the expection of the Costco giftcard I received for using them. Pricing an August cruise through them now online and the offer seems to be about $400 for a 4C.

FLWIDisneyFan 12-28-2012 09:29 AM

How does on board booking discount work with Costco?

Luv2Diz 12-28-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLWIDisneyFan (Post 47010689)
How does on board booking discount work with Costco?

Once you get home, call Costco Travel and have them transfer the reservation. Just provide them with the DCL reservation number and they will take it from there. They will also then tell you what your Costco cash card amount will be based on the cost of your cruise.

Billinaz 12-28-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Diz (Post 47011389)
Once you get home, call Costco Travel and have them transfer the reservation. Just provide them with the DCL reservation number and they will take it from there. They will also then tell you what your Costco cash card amount will be based on the cost of your cruise.

You must name Costco as your travel agent onboard though. If you dont, then DCL becomes your travel agent. Costco then looses the ability to give you the incentives if you transfer the registration.

Its the same for any travel agent when booking onboard.

We dont book onboard any longer though, DCL discontinued any discount for suites when you book onboard.

MouseMomx2 12-28-2012 12:28 PM

We always book directly through DCL. I don't like giving up control of my reservation to a travel agent and prefer to handle everything myself.

Luv2Diz 12-28-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billinaz (Post 47012034)
You must name Costco as your travel agent onboard though. If you dont, then DCL becomes your travel agent. Costco then looses the ability to give you the incentives if you transfer the registration.

Its the same for any travel agent when booking onboard.

This is correct - I forgot to write that you do need to let the onboard booking rep know who your travel agent is.

We didn't book onboard during our latest cruise. We have some flexibility in traveling so will just wait until military offers or *GT rates are released.

dwonderz 12-28-2012 04:02 PM

We book through a TA - we got a nice onboard credit through the agency and we know someone is looking out for any additional discounts (if applicable) and we can call/e-mail someone who has TONS of Disney knowledge anytime - for free. We did it mainly for the extra guidance.

ekatiel 12-28-2012 04:05 PM

We use www.cruisecompete.com whenever we book a cruise. The site gives you quotes from several travel agents. You can compare them and choose the one that gives you the best OBC, etc. --Katie

darkwing818 12-28-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 (Post 47012263)
We always book directly through DCL. I don't like giving up control of my reservation to a travel agent and prefer to handle everything myself.

We do the exactly same :thumbsup2. I've seen to many people at Guest Services (not just cruises) trying :confused3 to figure out what their TA did or didn't do to their reservations.

Billinaz 12-28-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 (Post 47012263)

Im the same way, but what I do is set up the reservation with DCL. I tell them that my travel agent - Costco - will apply the deposit shortly and get the reservation number.

You fill out a form and transfer that reservation to Costco, and after a day or so I call Costco with the reservation number and they apply the deposit.

Its the best of both worlds. I set up the reservation, and get a great cash card from Costco on my return from the cruise!

If anyone needs more info on how to do this feel free to email me. I can also send you the form so you have it all done......