The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   kids club ages (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3036994)

momtoleasawav 12-27-2012 12:22 PM

kids club ages

I know this can be a hot topic- ages of kids in clubs but want some thoughts anyways. Going on the fantasy in February- just shy of my daughter's 11th birthday. Now, last time I sailed I had a son a few months short of being able to go to the teen club. He tried the tween club, didnt like it and switched to the teen club without incident. He enjoyed the older club much more.
I am thinking the other way for my 11 year old- I am encouraging her to stay down in the kids club. I think there are more activities for her in those clubs. Does anyone have an 11 year old that went to the tween club or stayed down. Thoughts?

PrincessShmoo 12-27-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoleasawav (Post 47003394)
I know this can be a hot topic- ages of kids in clubs but want some thoughts anyways. Going on the fantasy in February- just shy of my daughter's 11th birthday. Now, last time I sailed I had a son a few months short of being able to go to the teen club. He tried the tween club, didnt like it and switched to the teen club without incident. He enjoyed the older club much more.
I am thinking the other way for my 11 year old- I am encouraging her to stay down in the kids club. I think there are more activities for her in those clubs. Does anyone have an 11 year old that went to the tween club or stayed down. Thoughts?

The Club/Lab is ages 3-12. Edge (tween club) is 11-14. At 11 your DD will be able to choose either. You know her best, where do you think she should go?

:cutie:

lanejudy 12-27-2012 12:58 PM

Your 11-year-old DD will be able to choose between either the Club/Lab or Edge (the tween club). Some people have reported their child of that age was allowed to go back and forth - doing some activities at both clubs, others had to make a choice and stick with that choice for the rest of the cruise (i.e., choose Edge and don't go to the Lab or the opposite). I think that might depend on the cruise demographics - how many kids of each age are onboard your particular cruise, but she will definitely have a choice. I'd suggest that she first check out the Edge, and I believe they have a "planning" session on the first evening that can/will set the "tone" for the rest of the cruise - they plan what activities will be done. I've heard it's important for the kids to go to this session before deciding between Edge or Lab. One important note is that the Edge has no parent sign-in/out so if you don't want her to be able to wander the ship with other tweens you might want to keep her in the younger location.

Enjoy your cruise!

momtoleasawav 12-27-2012 03:37 PM

ahh I did get my answer. I didn't know the younger club was until 12 years old. I was afraid there may be no kids her age there. I think I have made my decision.

cgncga 12-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoleasawav (Post 47003394)

Everyone's kids are different, but we were on the Dream last fall with our two daughters. The eldest was 11 1/2 and the youngest was a month shy of 9. We had one kid in the Edge and one in the Club/Lab.

While my youngest loved the Club/Lab and would have stayed there all day (which was a good thing since we were on the cruise to nowhere avoiding Hurricane Sandy at the end of October) my eldest would have been bored silly there. Not all of the activities in the Edge interested her, but she went to the ones that sounded interesting and she made friends with a few girls about her age there.

Both girls loved the cruise and can't wait to go back, but if we had insisted that my eldest go to the Club/Lab with her little sister, she would have hated cruising. Having said that, my youngest has a very different personality than her older sister--in addition to high functioning autism and other medical issues--so if we cruise when she's 10/11/12 she will be in the Club/Lab rather than the Edge.

Hope my experience is helpful to you.

KristiMc 12-27-2012 05:45 PM

My son was 11 on our last cruise and he loved the Edge. I agree with going to the meet-up activity on the first night to get to know the other kids.