The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   No check- in at the airport (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3035494)

GarakDS9 12-22-2012 09:08 AM

No check- in at the airport

Sorry if I missed this news, but cruise check-in at the airport is over. I am sitting in MCO right now. The desk takes care of bus assignments only now. You still need to check in at the terminal. Cast member strongly recommends complaining through the comment cards. She said their job is boring now and they have made staffing cuts.

mdinowitz 12-22-2012 09:23 AM

Do you know if they are still giving you a boarding # at the airport?

GarakDS9 12-22-2012 09:26 AM

Yes that is the only thing done here.

kcashner 12-22-2012 09:36 AM

Yes, you missed it--the new system started last Saturday (perhaps a day or two earlier). As above, all guests can do is complain on the comment cards.

DCL may see a decrease in bus ridership--one of the best points of using DCL transportation was the airport check in.

phoenixleigh 12-22-2012 09:49 AM

I know I have reservations at the MCO Hyatt in February then take the DCL bus the following day. I think I am going to change that now and stay at the port instead. Opinions?

GarakDS9 12-22-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarakDS9 (Post 46974602)
Yes that is the only thing done here.

I just re-thought your question and my answer. Bus boarding assignments only at airport. Ship boarding assignments at port.

Disney transportation now less attractive.

n8tivecaligirl 12-22-2012 09:56 AM

Unless they drop the price of the busses!

mmouse37 12-22-2012 10:08 AM

I had a feeling this was going to happen only because there were two or three reports of the CMs at the airport advising people that this was going away and then some posters called DCL directly and were told that it was staying....I tend to have to believe the CM's actually involved in the process at MCO. Unfortunately CM's on the phone don't always have the most accurate info.

I am surprised though, because this service was not in place all that long...maybe 18 months or so and was set up as a trial run. I guess DCL ran the numbers and it did not live up to their expectations or something. We have found the service at MCO to be HIGHLY convenient. The whole purpose was to alleviate the long lines at check in at the port with the newer ships. Who knows, maybe if people contact DCL they will reinstate it.

MJ

calidoc2006 12-22-2012 10:27 AM

Even if you can't check in at MCO, does getting to the port via DCL transfers allow you into the port regardless of your assigned port time and get you an earlier boarding time? Or is your port arrival time - and therefore boarding number - still tied to the time you set up when you registered earlier? IE, does DCL transfers trump assigned port time still? Thanks!

bzzelady 12-22-2012 10:30 AM

Good question...because if it doesn't, I think I'll cancel my DCL transportation, rent a car, and choose a hotel close to port instead of staying at MCO the night prior. It will save $$ and I'll get to sleep in on cruise morning.

Again...why did DCL think they needed to fix something that was not broken? :confused3

mmouse37 12-22-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calidoc2006 (Post 46974950)
Even if you can't check in at MCO, does getting to the port via DCL transfers allow you into the port regardless of your assigned port time and get you an earlier boarding time? Or is your port arrival time - and therefore boarding number - still tied to the time you set up when you registered earlier? IE, does DCL transfers trump assigned port time still? Thanks!

Yes it does, or at least it did. Hope it still does.

MJ

bzzelady 12-22-2012 11:32 AM

I guess the big questions are...

1) Will you be allowed to board an earlier bus at MCO if your port arrival time is not until later?

2) If you arrive early at port on the first DCL bus, are you going to be allowed in port before your port arrival assigned time?

3) If you are allowed in port early, will you be allowed to check in before your assigned time?

Anxiously awaiting answers as I need to make a decision whether to alter my pre-cruise plans for next month. This will make a difference in whether I spend extra dollars for the Hyatt at MCO and DCL transportation or stay at Port Canaveral and do a one way rental to port. If I'm not going to improve my check in time (and potential of paying for a category upgrade), I'm not going to spend the extra $$ the night before.

Weedy 12-22-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzelady (Post 46974966)
Good question...because if it doesn't, I think I'll cancel my DCL transportation, rent a car, and choose a hotel close to port instead of staying at MCO the night prior. It will save $$ and I'll get to sleep in on cruise morning.

Again...why did DCL think they needed to fix something that was not broken? :confused3

Have you gone online to see what the earliest PAT you can get. For those of you waiting to see what will happen you should go ahead and pick a PAT as back up in case they change this.

bzzelady 12-22-2012 11:56 AM

I had already picked the earliest time as a backup (11:30). If this is the case, I am just not going to spend extra $$ for the Hyatt and we will either rent a car and stay at PC the night prior, or stay at WDW and do the DCL transport from there and have a leisurely morning :)

luv2sleep 12-22-2012 11:56 AM

What is the significance/benefit of airport check invasion port check in? Is this a concern of people who want to board the ship as early as possible? Does it affect anything else? Is this airport check I for people flying in the same day as embarkation? How does this affect people who arrive the night before or who go to the parks first?